Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 15th century spaniards Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: 15th century spaniards         Reply with quote

Hello...

I have been working on my primary research regarding this but seems I keep finding 16th century spanish material. Can any one recommend sources or provide me with information on 15th century spaniards?

My intention is to do 1st person historical interpretation of a spaniard (probably from the Kingdom of Aragon) in England during the War of the Roses. A professional man-at-arms for hire.

Information about Don Juan de Salazar, the spanish knight in the retinue of Richard III would also be most appreciated.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some broad information on what was going on in Iberia during the late-15th Century, a good place to start is "That Art of Renaissance Warfare: From the Fall of Constantinople to the Thirty Years War" by Stephen Turnbull. It has a few problems, like him not knowing the difference between Ferrante of Naples and Ferdinand of Aragon, or which Mary Tudor was crowned Queen of England and was married to Philip II of Spain, but asside from those blunders, not too bad an overview of what was going on. Especially since most books on the period begin with October 1492, or more usually with 1494 and Charles VIII's invasion of Italy.

As I recall, Sir Charles W C Oman's "History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages" deals with some of the wars in Iberia, especially insofar as they were a part of the greater Anglo-French conflict. It's probably somewhat dated by now, as it was first published in the 1880's, but still good reading.

A decent source for showing Spanish armours of the late-15th Century is "Arms and Armour in Colonial America, 1526-1783" by Harold L. Peterson. There's some cool Colonial stuff in there, too, btw. Cool

There are LOTS of other good sources out there, but most are in Spanish, unfortunately. You might also choose to post your question on Armour Archive, there are a few fellows there who really know their stuff on Spanish Reconquista history.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This dissertation by Brian Ditcham is mostly about foreign mercenaries in French service, including Spanish ones:

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/ditcham1.htm

If you trawl through the footnotes or the bibliography, you might be able to find the title of a work on Villandrando--the famous Spanish mercenary who gave his employers no end of headaches.
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of help I was looking for. Mucho gracias.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To go along with what Lafayette said. Brian Ditcham's paper is excellent. I have read it a number of times and still go back to now and again as it is a good reference.

What aspects in specific are you looking for? I know of some primary sources but they are all en espanol....

RPM
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well anything I can get my hands on really. I want to get my head around the mindset of 15th Century Christian Spaniards, not too fussed whether Catalan, Aragonese, Castillian...as I have not settled on a specific kingdom yet. I am curious about differences in attitude, culture, equipment, fighting styles, food, fashion...well just about everything really.

I want to use the differences of Spanish historical culture from English historical culture to help illustrate the differences of English historical culture to contemporary English culture...if that makes sense. And dispel commonly held beliefs that all spaniards had pointy beards and wore morions. So many people seem focused on 16th century spain.

I am also particularly interested in one individual, Don Juan de Salazar.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will get some primary sources together but I would look at James F. Powers Townsmen and Soldiers. It is about the importance of the Fueros in the reconquista. Much is before the period you are looking at but it does touch on it and has some good citations to folow up on. Sadly I do not know where it is availible at as I got it fromt eh univserity library. He has written very much on non-noble class soldiers so might be helpful. At the least it was a fascinating article.

RPM
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is probably a lot earlier than what you seek, but it has a great deal of information on the laws and practices of Spanish urban militias:

http://libro.uca.edu/socwar/war.htm
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette,

Wow I did not even know that was online. Powers is great. I think it puts a whole new dimension on the reconquista.

RPM
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you...that is a brilliant resource. Quite enjoying the reading.
Alan H. Weller

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: 15th Century Spaniards         Reply with quote

Try reading the account of the conquest of New Spain , or Mexico , by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, a soldier with Cortes. It is available in a couple of different versions from Amazon.
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a bit later in period. I have found loads of sources on 16th century spaniards, its 15th that I am focusing my studying on. But thanks for the suggestion. I may read that one purely for personal enjoyment.
Alan H. Weller

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Teofilo Ruiz is a medievalist at UCLA and received his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1974 and is my favorite lecturer on the middle ages (I like to listen to recorded courses). He has published some books and articles that might be useful to you:

* From Heaven to Earth: The Reordering of Castilian Society in the Late Middle Ages (2004) ISBN 0-691-00121-9
* Spanish Society, 1400-1600 (Social History of Europe) (2002) ISBN 0-582-28691-3
* Crisis and Continuity: Land and Town in Late Medieval Castile (1994) ISBN 0-8122-3228-3
* The City and the Realm: Burgos and Castile 1080-1492 (1992) ISBN 0-86078-329-4
* Medieval Spain, 711-1492 ISBN 1-57524-052-1
Richard Wynne

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I apologise for troubling you all, your help is much appreciated!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 15th century spaniards
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic