Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > hoplon/aspis facing ; greek hoplite Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ann Lievens

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: hoplon/aspis facing ; greek hoplite         Reply with quote

hi,

i would like to ask if any1 of you knows where i can find someone who makes and sells greek hoplon/aspis shields with bronze facing? Cause all the shields i've seen all have either a brass facing or no facing.

thnx for the replies

P.S.: I asked if any1 knew where i could find a nice bronze cuirass, Matthew Amt found someone for that. now i'm making my greek hoplite, i already have found a cuirass, but that's about it, so if someone knows some good sites or has some suggetions, please tell them.

thnx for the replies
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there are Greek helmets, breast plates, lino torax, greaves made mostly by Windlass on this site at reasonable prices and good customer service. It would depend if the level of historical accuracy is at the standard you are looking for ?
http://www.kultofathena.com/armor.htm

Also, falcatas by 3 different makers also on this site and Greek spear head and butt spike etc ..... Again, depending on how high a quality you require.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ann Lievens

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, there are Greek helmets, breast plates, lino torax, greaves made mostly by Windlass on this site at reasonable prices and good customer service. It would depend if the level of historical accuracy is at the standard you are looking for ?
http://www.kultofathena.com/armor.htm

Also, falcatas by 3 different makers also on this site and Greek spear head and butt spike etc ..... Again, depending on how high a quality you require.

it's a start this site, but as you said,it depends of the level of historical accuracy, and i don't really like the deepaka corinthian helm... but the spear looks good, although the top isn't made of bronze.

but thnx for the reply!
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, and I never thought that I would say this, the Crested Corinthian Helmet by Windlass looks pretty good for the money. It is made of red bronze and, if it fits, seems a decent sort of helm.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Ann Lievens

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Actually, and I never thought that I would say this, the Crested Corinthian Helmet by Windlass looks pretty good for the money. It is made of red bronze and, if it fits, seems a decent sort of helm.

Well it isn't really the thing i'm looking for , their helm looks, to my opinion, not to good.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd steer clear of ANYthing "ancient" from Windlass! Haven't looked at their latest offerings but I'd be really surprised if it was anything even half as good as Deepeeka--and even Deepeeka's stuff often needs help!

For an actual bronze facing on an aspis, well, good luck and let us know! Manning has done brass, I believe. If you can get one in bronze, it will probably be silicon bronze, which actually has no tin in it so it's not really like ancient bronze. Phosphor bronze is closer (5 percent tin), but no one seems to make that wider than 12 inches.

That's why most of us end up with leather facings!

Matthew
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt, did you look at the Crested Corinthian Helm from Windlass on the KofA site? It didn't look too bad to me, especially for the money. I would be curious to see what you thought of it specifically. I tend to agree with you on Windlass generally.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I remember that one. The overall shape isn't bad, but the problem is that the metal around the face is completely plain and featureless. That would be fine for a much earlier style of Corinthian, but those of this type always had some kind of finishing around the openings: engraved lines, a turned-back edge, etc. I've certainly seen worse, but Deepeeka did that better on their version. The Windlass helmet is also too thick, if it's really 1/16" thick, though most repros run a little heavy.

The crest is better than Deepeeka's, I'll grant you that! Though it's possible that Deepeeka has upgraded that or is planning to. I notice a lot of the photos on that site of Deepeeka items show the older versions, not nearly as accurate as what they are now producing and developing.

At twice the price of the Deepeeka helmet, the Windlass version is certainly not twice as good!!

Khairete,

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > hoplon/aspis facing ; greek hoplite
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic