Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > So what did Europeans do with their swords at home? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Now as to the thread of the topic I tripped over another interesting detail. The common Spanish word for a cupboard with doors is 'armario', which has its origins in a sturdy lockable cabinet for arms which also was obligatory before the americas were 'discovered'.

Peter

Peter, and in French " Armoire " is also the modern name for a cupboard with the same evolution from a cupboard for storing arms.

But not to surprising as French, Spanish and Italian have some similarities: I don't speak or understand either but I can almost get the sense of a phrase in Italian and Spanish at times. ( Fragmentary sense. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Peter Bosman wrote:
Now as to the thread of the topic I tripped over another interesting detail. The common Spanish word for a cupboard with doors is 'armario', which has its origins in a sturdy lockable cabinet for arms which also was obligatory before the americas were 'discovered'.

Peter

Peter, and in French " Armoire " is also the modern name for a cupboard with the same evolution from a cupboard for storing arms.

Don't know about France but over 'here' the cupboard generally did not exist as a cabinet. It usually existed as a plank (board) to put cups and/or hang under, or stick between two rods. Soetimes as an open frame with planks called an estancia.

The average people to which the arms laws applied lived in cortijos that housed a very simple life. Most times storage space for tableware was simply hung ón the wall or planks worked into recesses ín the wall. After all, there was not that much earthenware nor cutlery to store and certainly no 'porcelain'.
Tools were hung from the rough branches sticking from the walls or stuck between and then supported by long poles hanging from the ceiling. Clothes were worn or being washed Wink
All but a very few people just did not own that much even untill véry recently (my generation!!) but, especially in the countryside, generally still had a gun in the house for both protection and hunting.
The only sturdy 'cabinet' would most times have been a recess in a wall to be closed with doors or a sturdy wooden thing.

We have still several storages built into the walls of our old cortigo. Most are open and have planks resting om mortar ridges, two have wooden 'lattice' doors but are not lockable. The original owners of this house 'always' had guns in an ... armario Laughing Out Loud

Peter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > So what did Europeans do with their swords at home?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: