Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valkyrja Update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On another thought, a positive by product of such a delay is the fact that in the mean time the skill and techniques employed at Albion would have improved, so you are getting a new and better researched sword for an old price.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any news on the Valkyria?         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
Robert B. Allison wrote:
I have one (not the Valkyra) that has been on order for over a year and a half and a recent inquiry generated a response that they are in "the middle of a movie deal"

I'm not in the market so maybe my opinion isn't worth much, but that response would have sent me to another manufacturer.

I don't see what's wrong with that response. If they don't know when things will be ready... than they just don't know. The only alternative would be to give a date, and risk people getting pissed if they don't meet that date.

What's wrong with the response is it's says that the movie deal is more important than the individual order. Basically thank you Robert for the $300 loan for 1 1/2 years, oh and remember that your deposit is non-refundable, we'll get around to supplying you with your product when it is in our interest to do so.

Admittedly that's a very harsh interpretation of the response and we don't have all of the information about the original correspondance so you can take it or leave it. I'm sure it in their financial interest to push forward on a movie deal and put some things on the back burner but I'd like to think that Albion has my best interest in mind.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think if handled properly, this movie situation could have had generated no negative press or feelings. First, the 3-6 week delivery times need to be off the website. That timeframe is missed all too often even without big movie deals. In a case where they know if will be at least 16 weeks, it really needs to be off there. Some might even call it false advertisement. If they don't want to take the delivery timeframe of 3-6 weeks off the website then put a big fat disclaimer that this is an estimate only and actual delivery times will vary based on order volume, availability of materials, etc.

Second, be upfront on your website that you're involved in a big project (specifics may have to wait based on contractual issues) that will help ensure Albion's continued success (you know, a positive spin) and that order times will be necessarily delayed, though every order is important yadda yadda.

I think they're going the correct route in delaying announcements of new products and therefore not taking so many pre-orders. When the production schedule inevitably causes missed deadlines, the fewer people waiting who've paid non-refundable deposits the better.

No one is saying Albion shouldn't take big movie deals or that they should ship out substandard products to meet deadlines. But if they set an expectation and don't deliver, people will get grouchy. They also should be careful to avoid the perception that one order is more important (or better) than another.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Valkyrja has become a personal nemesis to me.
The more resistance this hilts pose to me, the better I want the end result to turn out.

On movie projects: I hope the it will soon be possible to lift some of the wrap from this project, as I think it is pretty exiting, but with theses matters, you are bound by the producers as to when and what you are allow to go public with.
I look forward to the day when we can tell the whole story: there is a lot of exiting stuff going on on that front. And quite a bit that will benefit Albion customers as spin of effects of this major project.

Please note that any delays on the Valkyrja is mostly because of me personally: it has very little to do with any other projects, even if the past autumn and winter hads been unusally busy.

At Albion work is incredibly intensive: regular orders are fulfilled, projects are developed at the same time as a large volume of swords for a film is being completed. Some of you might be happy to see the results in the end....;-)

I really appreciate the support you express. It is very welcome and foritfying. I will not make this a litany of the pains and labours of a swordmaker, but it might be encouraging for you to know that no effort is spared in making these swords come true to their full potential. The importance of deadlines and delivery is no news to me, nor is it something I or anyone else at Albion takes lightly.
However, the first priority is *always* quality.
I am sad to see how upset and disappointed this makes some of you: I can only keep working at reaching the goal and fulfilling my vision the Valkyrja. My first duty is to be true to those who have had long patience and faith with me and Albion: when they get their long awaited sword they should be completely happy.
This is the same ambition I have with each and every sword. Most are just a tad less demanding than the Valkyrja.
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
I have been waiting for the Valkyrja for long now and I want to say how much I appreciate your post and your personnal position regarding this project. Through your words I'm now considering this one as kind of a custom even if there are ever made as many as 100 copies.
I got accustomed to waiting for it and trust you for making it something really outstanding, worth waiting a little more.

Just adding that pieces of information from time to time are always greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jean
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I wasn't really intending to whine piteously in my earlier post and certainly hope that it did not come across that way. The sword which I ordered (the Knecht) 1 1/2 year ago is one that I want quite badly and am willing to wait for. But having said that, Albion does tend to alternate between being fairly specific, i.e., sometimes Mike will say "we hope to get that one out next month if all goes well", followed by, when a couple of months pass and further inquiry is made, a statement that is more general and vague in nature. I know that the future is hard to predict, but it would be nice PR if they would give those of us with long-standing/pending orders on 'not yet in production' blades periodic progress reports when lengthy delays are encountered.

Oh, and one sort of 'silver lining' aspect to this.....by placing my order and then waiting, I've locked in the price which was in effect prior to two (or three? can't recall, but at least two for sure) price increases that have occurred in the interim!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am completely avoiding the "time waiting" issues for Albion Swords. I am just really glad to hear they have received or are receiving movie deals with sword orders in large volume!
However, it is my hope that in a near future time that things will work out so that "All" customers can receive their orders more promptly! Sounds to me like growing pains, but the good kind that will benefit all in time!

Movie deals, that's Fantastic! Congratulations Albion!

Sincerely!

Bob
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I fell in love with that hilt design ever since seeing a decent closeup in the exhibition book "From Viking to Crusader" in the early 90s. I would love to see the final results too.

As one artist to another, Peter, you have my sincerest sympathies. I can only imagine the difficulty keeping track of all that detail (while with cramping hands) carve the waxes to your satisfaction . Getting a design "right" can be an extremely frustrating process no matter what your medium is.

Good luck to Albion's new project.

(deleted inappropriate comments and inclusions...Laurie W)

Laurie Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.

Kirby Wise-Fraser FSA Scot.& Son
Arms and Armour

Last edited by Laurie W on Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laurie =

This is the Makers and Manufacturers Talk forum. it is described as "Announcements, press releases, and marketing information from the makers, manufacturers, and vendors of arms and armour". As such, it is a place for vendors and makers to to use to generate exposure for their products. As a maker yourself, it is not appropriate for you to steer another maker's topic off-target by showing items from your own shop. Please keep such things in your own topics and respect the other industry professionals that are on this site.

Should you have any questions or comments about this, the appropriate response will be to email or private message me about it.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valkyrja Update
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: