Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone want to take a shot? What is this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Anyone want to take a shot? What is this?         Reply with quote

Alright on another forum, someone is trying to find out what this is, I thought I would post it over here as well... maybe someone has seen something like it before:

My initial thought is that the fit appears to be lousy and I have asked about how it is assembled. Insights are appreciated.[/img]

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'll say the obvious. It is pretty similar to Arms & Armors Tudor and Medici daggers: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg063.html, so I assume that it is an orignal or reproduction dagger from around the 15th century.

Why do you say the fit looks bad? It looks like a lot of detail work, some done well, some not so well. A Victorian imitation of a 15th century dagger, maybe?

Gordon
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Well, I'll say the obvious. It is pretty similar to Arms & Armors Tudor and Medici daggers: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/dagg063.html, so I assume that it is an orignal or reproduction dagger from around the 15th century.

Why do you say the fit looks bad? It looks like a lot of detail work, some done well, some not so well. A Victorian imitation of a 15th century dagger, maybe?

Gordon

Yeah I noted that too, the reason I say that the fit and finish are bad is because I posted the wrong darned picture and I have info you don't. Sorry about that. Blush Here is the other picture, in it you can see that the blade/cross juncture and the cross/grip juncture don't really match at all. (Well you can sort of see, the picture had to be reduced in size so that I coudl post it) The only thing that keeps me from saying outright that the cross, blade and handle are all from different knives is that the ferrules on the grip do actually match the scabbard. I am perplexed... perhaps it is just a poorly made dagger...

Last edited by Russ Ellis on Fri 23 Feb, 2007 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention it is my understanding that the threaded tang was not really in use until the early 17th century. So if if this one has it then at best we are dealing with a cobbled together victorian reproduction of a 15th century dagger....????

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone want to take a shot? What is this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic