Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great 19th century sword book. Sword, Carbine, Pistol, Lance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Great 19th century sword book. Sword, Carbine, Pistol, Lance         Reply with quote

I originally posted about this on SF, but I thought some of you might like to hear about it here.

I got a great deal on a book, I had really heard nothing about and I just got it in the mail today. Its full title is
Instructions For The Sword, Carbine, Pistol And Lance Exercise Together With The Field Gun Drill for the Use Of The Cavalry A lot to say in one breath!

It is quite small, measuring at around 4 3/4" x 3 1/2". It specifically has information on:
Sword Exercise
Carbine Exercise (for Snider Carbine)
Lance Exercise
Field Gun Drill
Exercises for the Westly-Richards Carbine

It dates to 1871 as the cover shows, and I believe this is the 3rd version. The most interesting thing right now is that the original owner had signed it in a couple places (the cover made it 3, but is too worn off to see) It appears to be that of Capt. W. Read the commander of the 2nd Cavalry Troop. Since this was printed in London, I assume that would be the British Cavalry, but I don't know for sure. Does anyone know of a database to try to track down some information on Captain Read?

Anyways, this is the 2nd original 19th century sword book I have added to my collection and I have some leads on some others as well. I have found an original Alfred Hutton book for only $75 and hope to get that soon.

Mike

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great 19th century sword book. Sword, Carbine, Pistol, Lance
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic