Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL's European two handed sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: MRL's European two handed sword         Reply with quote

I have a few questions about the European Two-Handed Sword by Windlass Steelcrafts. Has anyone gotten this sword? Is it capable of being sharpened? If so, does it cut well, hold its edge well, etc.? and compared with the Great sword of Cold Steel which of these sword will be the best ..?

And anyone knows something about the strenght of the tang? , 'cause a weak tang in these kind of swords in a cutting test or some combat is an overture to disaster

Also I was looking for the DT2162 two handed sword, but for now my budget it's limited maybe in a future ...

Anyone who can help me or give me your point of view ....

Attachment: 21.72 KB
500802.jpg

“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some generalities: I'd trust Windlass/MRL construction and blade quality over CS, and although DT would be well constructed and of more historically accurate design, it would also be much more expensive and much harder to give a reasonable edge. The MRL will most likely have what I'd call a starter edge--dull but not truly blunt. A file will sharpen it without heroic effort or significant alteration of the blade's geometry. The DT will be made as a blunt, and that's a different animal altogether.

Check out the two-hand swords in the albums here. There are several with blades of diamond section, like the MRL's. I prefer the look of the hexagonal and lenticular blades, but the diamond seems to have been pretty common on these.

NOTE: My comments aren't based on any experience with the items in question. They're based on observation of general tendencies of these manufacturers.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: ...         Reply with quote

HI Sean thanks for your reply , I'll take your point of view to take a good election . I consider that DT it's the best option but for now I got to choose one of these swords ( MRL or CS ) ..
George Doby

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

bought one last winter. if i hadnb't of handles an antique one several yrs ago i would say it was limber. course you have t orealize that a blade that long to be w/in reasonable weight limits historicaly is just about going to have to be somewhat limber. havn't shapened mine it should take an edge w/ a file okay. tang is good. wuld of gtten a lutel but shipping charges are much higher now than before 9/11. it handles pretty good for the tight budget i would say it is bout the best. god entry level zweihander. last 2 catalgs it ain't in there don't know if they still sell it.
don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things
Douglas S

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would hesitate to sharpen a sword that could not be sheathed.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas S wrote:

Our ancestors don't appear to have had that reservation. Happy There's not a lot of evidence for large Zweihanders having scabbards historically.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Douglas S wrote:

Our ancestors don't appear to have had that reservation. Happy There's not a lot of evidence for large Zweihanders having scabbards historically.

Probably due to a shortage of civil liability lawyers. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Also, it's sharp so be careful and maybe not scary sharp just papercutting at most or sword sharp that will cut at speed or if some amount of pressure is used: Just lightly touching the edges wouldn't cut I think.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: ................         Reply with quote

OK , thanks to everyone for your replies , I ' ll sure to make a good election ...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL's European two handed sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic