Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking information on Hestore Visconti Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Seeking information on Hestore Visconti         Reply with quote

Hestore (aka Estorre) Visconti left behind a pretty fascinating Type XV sword, discussed in this thread.

I've always wanted to know more about the man behind the sword, though. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much info on him. What I have found is in Italian, a language I don't speak.

Does anyone have information on him or know where I can find some?

Would any of our Italian speakers be willing to translate a few pages for me?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Chad,

I thought the facsimile of The Visconti Hours would have some information about Hestore (or Estore, I've seen it spelled both ways) Visconti, but that particular work was commissioned by Giangaleazzo Visconti, who ruled Milan from 1385 to 1402, so he was one of Hestore's predecessors. I did find some interesting general information about the Visconti family, though. It seems that the Visconti liked to trace their descent from Venus and Anchises. The family ruled Milan for over a century. Interestingly enough, there are a few swords depicted in the book of hours, produced circa 1400, that look similar to Estore's sword, right down to the rain guard.

For those that haven't already read Records of the Medieval Sword, Ewart Oakeshott says a little about Estore Visconti in the caption of the Monza sword, the sword found in Estore's coffin. Estorre Visconti was Lord of Milan from 1412-13. The plaited tresses of hair on the rain-guard suggest that Estore was a member of the Fellowship of the Tress, a knightly association founded by the Archduke Albrecht III of Austria.

Oakeshott also says a bit more about Estore in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry. Apparently, Estore was Lord of Milan jointly with his nephew Giovanni Carlo from May 1412 until he was driven out of the city a few weeks later. He retired to the castle of Monza, where he died on January 17th, 1413 from the results of a serious leg wound acquired during the siege of the castle.

Sorry I couldn't find more.

Maybe others will have better luck.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Hello all!

Chad,

I thought the facsimile of The Visconti Hours would have some information about Hestore (or Estore, I've seen it spelled both ways) Visconti, but that particular work was commissioned by Giangaleazzo Visconti, who ruled Milan from 1385 to 1402, so he was one of Hestore's predecessors. I did find some interesting general information about the Visconti family, though. It seems that the Visconti liked to trace their descent from Venus and Anchises. The family ruled Milan for over a century. Interestingly enough, there are a few swords depicted in the book of hours, produced circa 1400, that look similar to Estore's sword, right down to the rain guard.

For those that haven't already read Records of the Medieval Sword, Ewart Oakeshott says a little about Estore Visconti in the caption of the Monza sword, the sword found in Estore's coffin. Estorre Visconti was Lord of Milan from 1412-13. The plaited tresses of hair on the rain-guard suggest that Estore was a member of the Fellowship of the Tress, a knightly association founded by the Archduke Albrecht III of Austria.

Oakeshott also says a bit more about Estore in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry. Apparently, Estore was Lord of Milan jointly with his nephew Giovanni Carlo from May 1412 until he was driven out of the city a few weeks later. He retired to the castle of Monza, where he died on January 17th, 1413 from the results of a serious leg wound acquired during the siege of the castle.

Sorry I couldn't find more.

Maybe others will have better luck.

Stay safe!

There is nothing worth reading on the italian web.

As long as one doesn't contact the Visconti family itself who should still have a lot of archival materials there seems to be nothing to say about him.

They live in teh reconstructed medieval town of Grazzano Visconti.

good luck
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

As long as one doesn't contact the Visconti family itself who should still have a lot of archival materials there seems to be nothing to say about him.

good luck

I think I may have found a little bit of decent info, but it's in Italian. If I sent you a link, would you be able/willing to tell me if there's anything good in there?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

good luck

I think I may have found a little bit of decent info, but it's in Italian. If I sent you a link, would you be able/willing to tell me if there's anything good in there?

The Visconti are not estinguished, the living Duke was being inerviewed on regional tv a few weeks ago.

He lives in Grazzano Visconti.

My experience with such families is that they are very polite and absolutely happy to see their former glories polished again

I don't think they would refuse to see Estorre Visconti being brought to limelight, as long as they have some interesting piece of biography they will surely share it with the public.

this is the we address for the tourist office of grazzano Visconti

iat@grazzano.it

Most likely they can direct your question to a local historian who specializes into the Visconti's family history.

This is the website for grazzano Visconti

http://www.grazzano.it/home.htm

I think you could ask for a free book or two, as it is customary in such cases.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting medieval milanese banners. One is Estorre's

http://www.ugopozzati.it/Bandiere%20Milanesi.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking information on Hestore Visconti
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic