Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finding a Swiss Pike. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jake Clodfelter

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Finding a Swiss Pike.         Reply with quote

I know Cold Steel used to make one some time back. Yet, they are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone else made them.

I would also like to get a Baselard to go with it, and I would like decent quality weapons that wouldn't be breaking the wallat to much.

Anyone got any advice, or know of any makers of the famous Swiss weapons.

Thanks.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not know how swiss it is but CAS sells a pike for a reasonable price. I never have used it but have messed around abot with it- The nice thing is it has a decent middle connection that seemed strong and a good butt spike and you could turn it from pike to spear easily. I think it is 14 feet total, 7 foot spear. Pole weapons and such tend to be harder to find than blades for some reason.

RPM
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jake;

Pikeheads that are both useful as well as ornamental are darned hard to find, but what is more difficult are the staves for them. Finding 18' long ash poles can be difficult, and when you find them, shipping can be pretty outrageous. Peavy poles from logging suppliers is probably one of the better sources, though if you and friends want several of them, buying a 2" X 18' plank of ash and cutting it into 2"X2"X18' staves, then working it down to octagon or round is always an option. Here's a source for 1-3/8ths" or 1-58ths " "solid socket pick" poles, though they only go to 16' length in ash: http://www.peaveymfg.com/pickpoles.html#handles (Frankly their "pick poles" look like they could be taken straight out and used as a pike, when you look at them. Interesting...)

One of the few places I've found making a very "plane Jane" pike heads for a reasonable price is here: http://www.navyandmarine.org/ItemsForSale/index.htm They aren't pretty, but they're functional. Both the awl-pike and the leaf-shaped head are viable period forms, however "most" 16th Century pike heads were somewhat more elaborate from what I can tell. Unfortunately not many of those available...

A good solid pike stave should be 16-18' (sometimes more) in length, and fairly burly depending upon the specific period you're doing. I firmly believe that the early pike staves were pretty stout to actually form some sort of resistance against charging horses. They may well have become lighter as time passed and the prevelance of armoured horses became less on the battlefield, but it can be hard to tell. There just aren't many extant pikes around that anyone has bothered to measure. (I'm sure that the one's in Graz would tell a LOT of interesting things, but I've not been able to find out their true dimentions.)

Anyway, good luck in your search!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
I'm sure that the one's in Graz would tell a LOT of interesting things, but I've not been able to find out their true dimentions.

I have the interactive CD-ROM from the Landeszeughaus. It allows you to browse through every floor, look at objects close-up, turn 360 degrees, move backwards, forwards, etc. The 4th floor has thousands of halberds, pikes and morgensterns lying horizonally in racks with the pointy bits facing in. The great thing about this arrangement is that it shows details of hafting almost never seen otherwise. You can tell, for example, that some of the morgenstern hafts are simply trimmed young trees (you can see the rings of the tree!) Not so with the pike and halberd hafts, it appears. The pike hafts are quite stout, as Gordon says, and vary somewhat in diameter, but they are within .5" of each other. They are perfectly round in section (at the butt, anyway) and don't appear to taper very much. I'm guessing that these are considered short pikes because they appear to be in the10' range. Right now I 'm looking from one rack of halberds (the late type with long top spikes) to a pike rack direclty opposite. The pikes are clearly longer than the halberds. The space between each rack is occupied by a "spanisch reiter" device--24 short (48"?) pikes inserted at opposing angles through a horizontal central pole to form a defensive hedge. Nasty-looking thing....
Another interesting note: The pikes and halberd hafts are unshod. Only the butts of the morgensterns are shod. The treatment consists of a crude, forge-finish, flat tapering blade several inches long jammed into the end of the haft, and a short iron cylinder around the end of the haft to prevent splitting. The tang of the blade is secured by a rivet through the cylinder.

Gordon: If you'll send me your mail address I'll send you some prints from the screen that will allow you to estimate the pike dimensions. All the material on this disc is designed to foil posting online. It can be done, but it's tedious. Sending some hard-copy screen grabs to an individual for research purposes would seem to be fair use.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

I have the interactive CD-ROM from the Landeszeughaus.

Where does one get such a thing?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/Das-Landeszeughaus-in-Gr...mp;s=music

The catch: At least when my wife ordered this for me a couple of years ago, Amazon.de wouldn't ship to the U.S. She had to ship it to our university's London address, from whence my parents fetched it while traveling. You may be able to get it shipped to the U.S. these days. Also, I noticed that there are several pre-owned discs in the "27 gebraucht & neu" listings on that page, and since those are private dealers I'm sure they'd be happy to ship to you. The cheapest disc I see there is just 10 Euro, and that's a steal, man. FYI-the disc and jewel box are all that's included in the box. No print materials. If you get the disc, you have everything.

WARNING FOR MAC: My groovy new iMac doesn't support system 9 software, which means I can't use the slick, multimedia main gateway into the Landeszeughaus material on the disc. Can't even view the still images of the weapons until I can figure out how to view .dxr files (any suggestions? Tried renaming them as .jpg and .gif, to no avail). However, all of the 360 degree-viewable objects and all the virtual tours of the floors are Quicktime, and work just fine. The German audio tracks work too, but have to be opened separately. There are some other cool QT vids, including a few on firearms and one showing a man being fully armed with an original munition-grade 17th c. full plate harness for heavy cav., including totenkopf and massive cavalry sword.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/Das-Landeszeughaus-in-Gr...mp;s=music

The catch: At least when my wife ordered this for me a couple of years ago, Amazon.de wouldn't ship to the U.S. She had to ship it to our university's London address, from whence my parents fetched it while traveling. You may be able to get it shipped to the U.S. these days. Also, I noticed that there are several pre-owned discs in the "27 gebraucht & neu" listings on that page, and since those are private dealers I'm sure they'd be happy to ship to you. The cheapest disc I see there is just 10 Euro, and that's a steal, man. FYI-the disc and jewel box are all that's included in the box. No print materials. If you get the disc, you have everything.

WARNING FOR MAC: My groovy new iMac doesn't support system 9 software, which means I can't use the slick, multimedia main gateway into the Landeszeughaus material on the disc. Can't even view the still images of the weapons until I can figure out how to view .dxr files (any suggestions? Tried renaming them as .jpg and .gif, to no avail). However, all of the 360 degree-viewable objects and all the virtual tours of the floors are Quicktime, and work just fine. The German audio tracks work too, but have to be opened separately. There are some other cool QT vids, including a few on firearms and one showing a man being fully armed with an original munition-grade 17th c. full plate harness for heavy cav., including totenkopf and massive cavalry sword.

Thanks Sean,

I'm going to pick one of these up, it's the next best thing to being there it sounds like...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I'm going to pick one of these up, it's the next best thing to being there it sounds like...

It is, indeed. Now that they no longer allow photos, it may even be better! At least with the CDR you have the option to print from the screen. The 360 views are great for showing details of armour.

-Sean

Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the pike techniques shown in manual strongly suggest pikes were fairly light, but we've argued about this before. No one really knows.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
I think the pike techniques shown in manual strongly suggest pikes were fairly light, but we've argued about this before. No one really knows.

They could be both stout and light.

-Sean

David Evans

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

They could be both stout and light.

From our work with shaped pikes fom the British Civil wars the trick is to taper them. Thinest at the sharp end, thicking to the area about 5' to 6' from the butt and slimming out to the butt. All of a sudden pikes become very easy to move around in postures. It's actually possible to pause half way through "shoulder your pike" and not cripple yourself!
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I though pike were made in two halves and joined together in the middle by a metal 'sleeve'?
David Evans

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: PIkes         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I though pike were made in two halves and joined together in the middle by a metal 'sleeve'?

Er...No......one(1) piece shaped and tapered. Ash was best.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finding a Swiss Pike.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic