Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jewish 1st Century Mounted Warrior - Help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Jewish 1st Century Mounted Warrior - Help         Reply with quote

Hi I am an illustrator and history buff and I am having to do an illustration with a mounted Jewish warrior. I want to make it as late as possible so I am thinking around the time of the sacking of jerusalem by titus. Now from what I can remember att his time they were using what ever armor they could find. So would a mixed matched collection of middle eastern armor from the time be about right and does any one have any good reference shots for this?

Also you can see some of my illustration and photography at http://www.pwlawrence.com/

Thanks VERY VERY much for the help:)
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did some more search and it seems they also had a revolt a Revolt against Heraclius in 613.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm. Well, the Maccabean Jewish armies seem to be quite popular among miniature wargamers, so maybe you can get some info in this site:

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/index.html

(Don't hesitate to send emails to and/or visit the homepages of the wargamers there. They're all to glad to get a chance to boast of their knowledge--or their libraries.)
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Lafayette C Curtis. And would you believe they changed their minds again and now want a modern Israeli soldier on hourseback. Happy So now I am researching that haha. Oh well I get paid either way.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Lawrence;

Although it's not specifically an Israeli soldier on horseback, this IS a fairly modern soldier pictured in the act of charging into battle (a mock one, though) on horseback. He's one of Grey's Scouts, a Rhodesian outfit that needless to say no longer exists, since the country no longer exists in that name. But it might be of interest to you. I've also added a photo of a Portuguese Cavalryman in Angola during the same time period. (1970's)

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 68.66 KB
Greyscout1.jpg

Attachment: 49.71 KB
Portuguese dragoon_4.jpg

Attachment: 62.53 KB
[ Download ]

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon;

Just wondering about the FN FAL just next to the horse's ear. Eek! I know that horses can and where trained to sort of ignore gun fire but OUCH ! That close to the ear I would think the poor beast would flinch like crazy just from the intensity of the sound even if by some training miracle the horse wasn't spooked by the shot or worse shots if the FAL was on full auto ?

Would stuffing the poor horses hears with something be useful or tolerated by the horse ?

Patrick: Are your clients looking for something " real " as in historically true or something more symbolic / fictional ?

I could see some modern use of mounted scouts by the Israeli army in theory or " unofficial " use by some sort of local militia or security guards to patrol in hilly country ? Maybe early on after the creation of Israel as a country or even before in the early 20th century ?

Oh, had a look at your web site and really liked your Roman soldier / officer. Cool I am curious about the technique you used to draw it ? Traditional drawing or using computer software or a combination of both ? The hairs in the crest drawn hair by hair the hard way or using a texture / hair generator of some kind: All sorts of 3D animation programs are used now to put realistic organic textures as special effects. Oh, either way the work is impressive and even when technological shortcuts are used the quality of the results depend on having the eye to control the results.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye - Thanks for the pics every source helps.

Jean Thibodeau -

Quote:
Patrick: Are your clients looking for something " real " as in historically true or something more symbolic / fictional ?
At the moment its looking like they wanting something realistic but with artistic license. Time frame would be future but probobly near term.

Quote:
Oh, had a look at your web site and really liked your Roman soldier / officer. I am curious about the technique you used to draw it ? Traditional drawing or using computer software or a combination of both ? The hairs in the crest drawn hair by hair the hard way or using a texture / hair generator of some kind: All sorts of 3D animation programs are used now to put realistic organic textures as special effects. Oh, either way the work is impressive and even when technological shortcuts are used the quality of the results depend on having the eye to control the results.

Thanks glad you like the work. As for how its done that really depends on the image. Some images are mainly painted for example I painted the entire bear hair by hair in photoshop. But the crest uses a photo texture. Also some images use 3D rendering. Really it just depends on the fastest way to get what the client wants. In the future I would like to do some historic calvery combat. But I have to get the time first. Or maybe I can sell prints to pay for the time. Not sure yet.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Yeah, blasting away with that FAL THAT close to the horse's ear would tend to cause some problems one way or another, I would think... A while back, I read an interesting article written in the 1990's about the Northern Alliance of Afghanistan in their fight against the Taliban, and how most of them were mounted. The most outrageous photo they had was of a fellow firing an RPG-7 off the back of a horse. Eek! The text noted that you could only do this once off of any given horse. No doubt! WTF?!

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you consider your horse expendable, though, it can give you a sort of instant roast horseflesh. Wink

If it hadn't roasted you first, of course.
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm guessing that since the Holy Land was part of the Roman Empire in the 1st century AD, a Judaean horseman would have looked a lot like a Roman cavalryman, only with a few Parthian influenced items.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jewish 1st Century Mounted Warrior - Help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic