Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Prague, Vienna, and Budapest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ed Klein

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Prague, Vienna, and Budapest         Reply with quote

I will be visiting Prague, Vienna, and Budapest this summer. Does anyone know of museums or other venues that may contain more than the standard swords / armour / weapons?
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vienna "Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer" very impressive...

like this...http://www.khm.at/system2.html?/static/page145.html

Andreas Auer

Last edited by Andreas Auer on Wed 07 Feb, 2007 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a few items to see in Prague castle's section on "The Story of Prague". Among other things, there's a suit of mail and a helm attributed to St Wenceslas, a sword or two from Viking period, as well as a couple knives and "daggers", and a ceremonial sword used at some of the coronations of the King of Bohemia. There's also a few antique items on display in the Gothic cellar at the Vyšehrad (the castle south of the Nové Město) including an axe head that looks like it might have been used in warfare. I can't say for sure about the musuem in the Nové Město; it has an archaeological section but it wasn't clear that there was medieval or Renaissance stuff there and since I was running out of time, I did not visit it. Other than that, I don't think there's much else to see. Prague is not a very good city for weapons and armour, though some of the other medieval items in Prague castle are outstanding, even if there aren't that many of them. I was just there between January 29th and February 3rd, so my information is about as up to date as you can get.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
There's a few items to see in Prague castle's section on "The Story of Prague". Among other things, there's a suit of mail and a helm attributed to St Wenceslas, a sword or two from Viking period, as well as a couple knives and "daggers", and a ceremonial sword used at some of the coronations of the King of Bohemia. There's also a few antique items on display in the Gothic cellar at the Vyšehrad (the castle south of the Nové Město) including an axe head that looks like it might have been used in warfare. I can't say for sure about the musuem in the Nové Město; it has an archaeological section but it wasn't clear that there was medieval or Renaissance stuff there and since I was running out of time, I did not visit it. Other than that, I don't think there's much else to see. Prague is not a very good city for weapons and armour, though some of the other medieval items in Prague castle are outstanding, even if there aren't that many of them. I was just there between January 29th and February 3rd, so my information is about as up to date as you can get.

North of the city of Prague is a museum for the Thirty Years War on the battlefield of White Mountain, which was the first battle of that war and where Tilly had his first great victory of that war. I however cannot give too much insight since I ran out of time when there ten years ago and wasn't able to see the museum.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Austria, there's a small town that dates back to the Medieval period called Riegersburg. Six-hundred feet above the town on a dormant volcano stands a castle that dates back to the 1100's, though it has been significantly renovated and added onto throughout the Renaissance. Of all the owners it's had, history elaborates mostly on 2 owners in particular -- both women. Elizabeth Kathariana von Galler (1608-1672) was one and the other was Kathariana Paldauf who lived around the same time; Paldauf was actually von Galler's servant. There's an article on this castle in the 44th issue of Renaissance magazine.

And if you're going to Vienna, you could try and see the Sword of St. Maurice there. It was the coronation sword of Holy Roman Emperors for over 800 years until World War One. As far as I know, it's still at the "Weltliches Schatzkammer" in the Imperial Treasury (one in the same place?). Wink

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mike Pospichal

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't recommend any arms/armor spots in Prague, but while you're there, it's definately worth it to stop and check out the cathedral of Saint Nicholas.
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A worthwhile stop in Vienna is the Military History Museum (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum) on the outskirts of town. Not much in the way of medieval arms and armor, but quite a bit of 16th- and 17th-century material, and displays on the 30-Year's War and Turkish wars, etc. http://www.hgm.or.at/eng/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Prague, Vienna, and Budapest
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic