Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Existence of Double-Bladed Swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Existence of Double-Bladed Swords?         Reply with quote

This might be the strangest topic I have posted but I was wondering if their is or were any form of double bladed swords (not double-edged) from any part of the world?

I would also like to know how to classify this type of weapon? Either as a sword or a polearm, maybe because of the length of the hilt?

For example even though this is fictional look at Darth Maul's Double-Bladed Lightsaber from Episode I: Star Wars, how would you classify that weapon?

Also recently I found an image of a double bladed knife in "George Cameron Stones: Arms and Armor".

The double bladed knife weapon that I found is called a haladie and is a type of Rajput Dagger.

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Sat 27 Jan, 2007 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm only asking if anyone knows of any such weapon in existence. And if anyone doesn't know of any double bladed swords please say so?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
I'm only asking if anyone knows of any such weapon in existence. And if anyone doesn't know of any double bladed swords please say so?

Please wait for people to answer your questions. Your initial question has been posted for less than 24 hours. Some people are busy on weekends.

Patience.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize for being hasty, I'm just excited to have some feedback on the topic Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Short answer is that I don't know of any double bladed swords.

Double blade knives like you have shown I have seen some Indian daggers including one made from two horns mounted together.

In the widest possible definition of double blade weapons in the sense that both ends of a weapon have a blade or a spike there are some examples: Ancient Greek spears might have a bronze but spike as well as a steel spear head. I have seen double headed spears somewhere I think. Poleaxes can have a spike on both ends.

So if the question includes weapons that are dangerous at both end there are some examples.

But again I haven't seen any double bladed swords and using one might be very difficult as the advantages are minimal I would think and the potential awkwardness i.e. being more dangerous to the user than anyone else at least a possibility.

Works in Star Wars because it's made to look cool and effective by the movie fight coordinators. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Double-headed spears are actually rather common. There were several types in the Balkans, many in Africa, and if I'm not mistaken there were some double-ended Chinese cavalry spears as well. Like Jean, though, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of any double-bladed swords except in Star Wars or D&D.

And the delay in getting an answer is because most of us can't find examples off the top of our heads either--but we're not answering straight away for fears that there were actual examples of double-bladed swords somewhere.

(Which doesn't seem to be the case.)
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for fun I found a replica of a double bladed sword from D & D. It's overall length is 34" and each of the blades are about 10" long.

Just out of curiousity if such a weapon did exist would it be classified as a sword or a short polearm like implement?
Richard R.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would shudder to consider D&D an authority on the matter but... Does it really matter what it is 'classified' as? I understand that classifications are terribly important for RPG's and the like but in real life I don't think it matters so much. That said, I would classify it as a rediculous waist of effort to use.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Justin,
I've seen that particular double bladed sword that you linked to. At best it's weapon-inspired, but it certainly is not a functional design by any stretch of the imagination. It is short enough to lose any advantage of a single-side weapon (e.g. a sword or large knife), yet just long enough to impale yourself on it.

Did such things exist in history? Well, I'm certain someone tried it. But I suspect the reason you don't see too many examples in museums or in period illustrations is because they weren't practical.

Now, as others mentioned above, there are polearms that have something on both ends (for instance, a blade on one side and a small spike on the other), and there are example of specialized duelling weapons, particularly from the Middle East (such as the dagger you brought up). But on a long weapon such as a polearm you don't have to worry about impaling yourself, plus it has a large reach. A small weapon, such as a dagger, you won't easily injure yourself on either, and has the advantage of being used with basic "unarmed" types of strikes (i.e. you throw a strike with the dagger that misses, so you quickly reverse the strike, just as you would with a bare-handed jab that misses and turns into knife-handed strike). (though personally I'd rather have a single bladed knife, but that's because of my own familiarities) To me, though, something "medium" sized, such as a sword, is awkward, unweildy, holds no advantage over a sword with one blade, and is probably more dangerous to the user than the opponent. Just my thoughts on the matter.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Benjamin Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey

I guess this one fit the bill, its a double hook lian from china
well its the closest i can get Worried
[/img]

Attachment: 13.15 KB
W337_small[1].jpg

Tim M.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a double bladed sword would have to been weilded in a staff- like manner which would result in more wounds to yourself than to your opponent. The only way I could think of haveing the sword less dangerous would be the have the blades be single edged, with the edges facing the opposite way of each other. Even then you would have to be careful to move the sword in the correct so that the blunt end was touching you and not the edge obviously. Needless to say it would take tremendous concentration to avoid hurting yourself
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only sword I can think of that approaches the sort of weapon you're asking about is the Indian firangi, and even then, the part that extends from the pommel is more a spike than a blade.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Larsen wrote:
I guess this one fit the bill, its a double hook lian from china
well its the closest i can get

Yeah. The closest--and it's not even a sword. Happy

Anyway, if we can call it a "sword" by some stretch of the imagination, it'd still hardly be double-bladed since, like the weapon Tim spoke about, the other "blade "seems to be more of a spike than a proper 'blade."
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your info guys. know I can see how useless a double bladed sword could be to use. I even think that the double bladed dagger is just as useless because I could just picture myself using it and cutting up my forearm with it, before I'd be able to attack an enemy with it!!!

And there's two more strange weapons that look unpractical/unuseable that I'd like to post the first is some form of Tonfa-like Sword and the second weapon is called an Adaga.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
Thanks for your info guys. know I can see how useless a double bladed sword could be to use. I even think that the double bladed dagger is just as useless because I could just picture myself using it and cutting up my forearm with it, before I'd be able to attack an enemy with it!!!

And there's two more strange weapons that look unpractical/unuseable that I'd like to post the first is some form of Tonfa-like Sword and the second weapon is called an Adaga.

Yes, another " Movie Sword " the name of the movie I think was something like " Skycaptain " and was done in the style of 1930 pulp Sci. Fi. .

There are many strange and little known real weapons out there but don't expect anything real about something totally invented by Hollywood.

There might still be a little mileage in discussing if such weapons would even be practical. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Note: The second one is a real weapon that I've seen before but also of doubtful usefulness.

Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yes, another " Movie Sword " the name of the movie I think was something like " Skycaptain " and was done in the style of 1930 pulp Sci. Fi.

The tonfa-sword is from the Hellboy movie, actually. No relation to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow what-so-ever, aside from both being inspired by earlier "pulp" fiction ('20s and '30s horror like Lovecraft etc. for Hellboy, '50s Sci-Fi for Sky Captain). A pair of those things was used in the movie by Kroenen, the Nazi clockwork ninja. Happy

Fun movies, both of them. Especially Hellboy, with Ron Perlman in one of his best roles ever. "YOU DAMN MONSTER!" Big Grin

That "adaga", on the other hand, looks a lot like some short, all-steel spears from India that I've seen.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Yes, another " Movie Sword " the name of the movie I think was something like " Skycaptain " and was done in the style of 1930 pulp Sci. Fi.

The tonfa-sword is from the Hellboy movie, actually. No relation to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow what-so-ever, aside from both being inspired by earlier "pulp" fiction ('20s and '30s horror like Lovecraft etc. for Hellboy, '50s Sci-Fi for Sky Captain). A pair of those things was used in the movie by Kroenen, the Nazi clockwork ninja. Happy

Fun movies, both of them. Especially Hellboy, with Ron Perlman in one of his best roles ever. "YOU DAMN MONSTER!" Big Grin

That "adaga", on the other hand, looks a lot like some short, all-steel spears from India that I've seen.

Right I was thinking of the wrong specific movie but sort of the right kind of movie. Laughing Out Loud

Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So all-in-all either a sword that is double bladed with a long hilt or a sword that has a hilt set at an 90 degree angle (tonfa sword) is incredibly useless in any real life combat situation! I thank you all again and I appreciate everyones help on clearing up my questions on this topic! Happy
Harry Pretat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is probably a worse idea than having a sword on each end of the handle but it fits the topic:
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Advent-Children...B000EW74BC
Seems a little pointless Happy
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I can see why a long sword that has two sword blades side by side is just well, so unpractical that its not even funny. Eek!

I know this is a little off topic but imagine trying to figure out how to wield this Indian Knife!!!

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Mon 29 Jan, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Existence of Double-Bladed Swords?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: