Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A & A Iberian Mace.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: A & A Iberian Mace.         Reply with quote

Just got my A & A Iberian mace ( Among other things. Big Grin ) and here are my impressions of it. ( Not an official review as I STILL haven't bought a digital camera. The pics on the A & A site will have to do for now, and they are very close to the one I have in hand anyway. http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole147.html )

A few statistics:

Length 25"
Length of head alone: 5"
Diameter of head at the top: 1 1/2"
Width spike to spike / maximum width: 2 1/2"
Diameter of aft just below head: 1 1/8"
Thickness wall of mace head at the top: 1/4"
Thickness wall of mace head at bottom: 1/8" approximation as I' m measuring the thickness visible at the half where it goes into the head. If the afts is reduced in diameter under the head the wall might be thicker.

The pyramidal spikes are substantial but obtuse enough that they wouldn't get stuck in a target the way long and sharp spike might trapping the weapon. being 4 spikes on 4 sides it is possible to hit with the spikes or with the flats in between the spikes: This might have some different effect on the target but nothing that I think would make a great difference.
Maybe " ouch " versus " OUCH "

The P.O.B. is just at the bottom of the head or 5" from the top.
Weight: About 3 pounds measured with a scale, my weight holding the mace minus my weight not holding the mace.
( Maybe Craig can give us the number. )

Now I think a lot of people look at this one and then look at the sexy spiked mace or flanged mace and give it a pass, but it's very very nice in hand: One scary chunk of steel but not as ponderous as one would think i.e. " all maces are slow ".

This mace can easily be held at the end and controlled and I don't find recovery that slow. If one move the hand up to mid shaft control becomes easy and I don't find it difficult to shift the hand position from bottom to top without having to use my other hand to reposition.

Although there is no top spike a series of quick of thrust would be lightning quick as back and forth recovery is a lot easier that stopping a swing and recovering for another swing.

Although short a two handed grip near the end could also be useful, and used as a very short staff some blocks should also be possible.

Maybe the idea that a mace would only be used in simplistic up and down smashes is wrong and the extreme P.O.B. of a mace like weapon can be used to advantage or adapted to when more recovery speed is needed for a defensive move.

Oh, and spending a large part of the day playing with it is making my wrist stronger and for some reason the handling my Tritonia and it's point of balance seems easier and the sword a lot lighter. Razz

Also, if my house ever catches fire I'm sure I could smash out a window with this mace and given enough time go through the wall instead.

So it's like eating peanuts: When you start you can't stop until the bag is empty and with the Iberian mace when you pick it up you can't put it down. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
Thanks for posting this. That particular piece has always intrigued me. I may get one yet. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matt G

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Jean! I really like this particular A&A mace. Thanks for sharing your impressions in the (non-official) review.
For me, this mace appears subdued but authoritative. A nice combination! I won't be able to let this piece pass me by.

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A HUGE Congratulations to you Jean Exclamation I cannot tell you how many times I have almost bought an Arms & Armor Iberian Mace! Laughing Out Loud I went through the same thing with they're Warhammer until last summer at the Faire, when I finally extracted my head from somewhere and had an inspirational Idea and bought one! After having bought it, and came back to the booth an hour or so later and learned that some guy that had been looking at it earlier came back to buy it ten minutes after I bought it and it was the only one in stock at the time! Laughing Out Loud Guess what? I LOVE that Warhammer Exclamation
So now you got me Idea Jean Exclamation I have played around with the Iberian Mace many a time, so I know first hand the magnitude of the WHALLOP that mace can impact on something! It's virtually indestructible and like you said, no sharp edges to worry about either!

Well Jean, I am personally Extremely HAPPY for "You"! Because I know this was a loaded parcel you received and you have been waiting a good piece of time most patiently for this package Exclamation Spiritually, I am sharing your joy, yes sir this is a real boost for me Jean Happy, our collections are so precious to ALL of US Exclamation It's really great to have this fantastic website specially designed for us collectors, so we can all come together from all over the planet and share each others happiness and joy Exclamation

Perhaps for some or most of us, those around us just don't understand what it is that we get out of this, but "WE" know!
And that is part of what makes myArmoury so great, for "me" myArmoury is a very "Spiritual" place, I am absolutely serious Exclamation Because of this website, I get to share my still very new great joy and happiness with a whole lot of really great people! And I get to hear about their joy and happiness, and right now this is a BIG DAY for Jean Exclamation And that makes it a Big Day for Me!

CONGRATULATIONS Jean Happy Exclamation

Sharing Your Joy!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
So now you got me Idea Jean Exclamation I have played around with the Iberian Mace many a time, so I know first hand the magnitude of the WHALLOP that mace can impact on something! It's virtually indestructible and like you said, no sharp edges to worry about either!

Thanks Bob very much appreciated. Big Grin Good to have someone else who can testify first hand to how this one feels. Wink

Oh, did I mention that there is also a certain sculptural appeal to the geometry of the head: I also like looking at it.

I may be nuts but I actually went to bed and to sleep holding on to this one as I was enjoying the feel of the handling of it a bit like a kid with a new toy ( I never grew up anyway, so why start now ! ) ( So Bob, I may have you beat in the insane love of weapons department. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

Strangely enough I can sleep and wake up a few time during the knight and I still have a grip on the handle ! So I guess when it come to weapons even in my sleep I can stay aware that I am or not holding it. ( Oh, like you said no sharp edges. ) Might be a useful skill when taking a nap during a lull in a long battle.

I wonder if most people loose the capacity to hold anything when their conscious mind is turned off ? Makes me think of horses being able to sleep standing up. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Maybe it comes from our monkey genes i.e. holding on to a branch when asleep and not falling out of trees.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, I have not fallen asleep with a weapon in my hand yet, but I do walk around the house with them all the time!
Just like a kid with a toy too I guess!

I agree Jean! Why grow up?

I will be 50 in the summer, which is why the Edward III Sword and the Ultra Custom Plaque Belt from Russ Ellis Exclamation

My dad and his brother (11 years older than my dad), they grew up, became ultra serious men, both were stressed out all the time. My uncle was dead at 59. My dad was dead at 63.

I choose to be a kid!

You go ahead and collect all the weapons or (toys) that you want Jean! Stay young and stay happy and healthy!

Life is too imporant to not be a kid! Kids are always learning! I choose to learn! I choose to stay happy and healthy as can be with the arthritis, well I am a lot better now, my mother moved in with us and bought us a $4,300.00 massage chair!
Panasonic Ultra Pro Elite from www.brookstone.com

Let's stay being Kids Jean Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Strangely enough I can sleep and wake up a few time during the knight and I still have a grip on the handle !
Freudian slip? Laughing Out Loud

Congratulations Jean! I'm quite envious. I really covet this and your Langue de Boeuf. I have some very serious holes in my collection. (I keep telling my family I need a mace or a warhammer. I have my hopes set on Valentine's Day.) Big Grin That mace is lovely.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Strangely enough I can sleep and wake up a few time during the knight and I still have a grip on the handle !
Freudian slip? Laughing Out Loud

Congratulations Jean! I'm quite envious. I really covet this and your Langue de Boeuf. I have some very serious holes in my collection. (I keep telling my family I need a mace or a warhammer. I have my hopes set on Valentine's Day.) Big Grin That mace is lovely.

Yes, I kept changing some unfortunate turn of phrases writing the last couple of posts but I missed that one. ( Trust me there where worse ones that could easily have two meanings. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

You could look at the Rondel Glaive that A & A has on their custom page. Big Grin That's a really nice one.

The Iberian mace is one of their least expensive products and not a major budget breaker. Wink

Oh, the casting does have a few minor flaws but the finish is good: With this kind of weapon that is almost a + as it looks much more period this way. Antiquing or bluing might be interesting. Big Grin Not sure if I want to do this but it would be easy to reverse.

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had one of these maces in my collection for nearly four years now. It remains my favorite single-handed impact weapon. It must have been especially easy to fabricate these items, compared to other European maces. Both handy and durable. Two or three wallops from one would have done in all but the most durable opponent. And it would drive a tent peg as well.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
(I keep telling my family I need a mace or a warhammer. I have my hopes set on Valentine's Day.) Big Grin That mace is lovely.

Nothing says love like a mace!

It does look like a very attractive piece. I may have to add it to the wishlist... and free up space on the floor-rack.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the umm not-review Jean. Happy I've picked up a pile of A&A impact weapons lately both current catalogue and not and have been very pleased with all of them. I don't have this one though... which gives me one more thing to look forward too! Thanks!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Thanks for the feedback on this item. It's one I've always meant to add to my arsenal. You make me want to hurry up and do just that.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I have one of these and also like it quite a bit. I had a leather grip added to mine for a reasonable fee and I would reccommend others do the same, as well as a loop at the bottom. I let mine rust a bit then polished the rust off to give the metal a more pleasing and subdued sheen to my eye as when new the head is a bit shiny. I also sanded off the stain and applied several coats of linseed oil. This is purely personal preference though.
Jeremy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always though of one of these, but never quite sure if it would be for the collection, the bedroom, or the car.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the many pieces out there that interest me. And the Iberian Mace is really inexpensive. hmmm.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
... I had a leather grip added to mine for a reasonable fee and I would reccommend others do the same, as well as a loop at the bottom. ....

The leather additions sound like a really good idea.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I've always though of one of these, but never quite sure if it would be for the collection, the bedroom, or the car.

It's always good to hear from you Joe, may 2007 bestow many good things upon you and your family Exclamation

Any part of my collection can wind up anywhere with me, not one weapon that I have bought has been left for display purposes only, they all get used in some manner or another, but the high end stuff " Arms & Armor and Albion" is Never Ever subjected remotely to any kind of abuse Exclamation I have far too much Respect for these weapons and the "Smiths" who made them Exclamation Nothing is ever getting sold or traded either so I don't worry about minor scuffs etc., besides I have everything you could think of for sword care and maintenance and then some!
But the Iberian Mace is a good sleeping buddy because you don't have to worry about getting cut, especially since I keep a very sharp edge on all my swords. I've lost count of how many stones I have now Laughing Out Loud Umpteen cans of honing oil, etc. Now, I don't think it would be a good idea to sleep with my Arms & Armor Spiked Mace or Spiked Flail Eek! Laughing Out Loud OUCH Exclamation Laughing Out Loud

Hey, as long as the finances provide for them, the more "Toys" (swords, polearms, daggers, shields, scabbards, belts, bows, etc.) the better Exclamation Well that's just "my own" opinion, other collectors do not want anywhere near the clutter of edged steel about the house that I would like to have and I know I am a bit "out there" as I've always been a tad bit peculiar Laughing Out Loud

All I know is that right now, ever since I started collecting in the last couple of years, I am the happiest I have ever been in my life and now I find myself getting an itch for an Iberian Mace Idea But I am too hyped about getting a Sparth Axe first Exclamation I guess I could sleep with my Arms & Armor 12th Century Saxon Spear Question Razz But I think my wife might have a problem with a spear in the bed with us Laughing Out Loud Idea

Bob

Last edited by Bob Burns on Sat 13 Jan, 2007 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
One of the many pieces out there that interest me. And the Iberian Mace is really inexpensive. hmmm.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
... I had a leather grip added to mine for a reasonable fee and I would recommend others do the same, as well as a loop at the bottom. ....

The leather additions sound like a really good idea.

A 6" to 8" of leather at the end of the grip can be a good idea and I would probably use leather laces running up and down in a spiral. ( You do a spiral down and then a spiral up and repeat with the next being along side the first spiral and keep doing it until the section is completely covered in leather. This creates a checked pattern of bottoms and ridges varying in number depending on the " pitch " of the spirals. Oh using wood glue as you go and removing the excess with a wet baby wipe at the end with give you a nice durable grip surface. One can, after the glue is 100% dry, rub in linseed oil to make it water proof. )

I've done this kind of surface on walking sticks and it's still good after more than 30 years.

Historically correct ? I don't think so but don't really know. It seems like every movie barbarian axe has some king of leather or cord covering afts: These always look cool to me, give a better grip and I would think that even if a aft should split it would keep thing together for a while. So, It makes some design sense and looks cool: The question is, did historical axes or polearms use cord of leather bindings ? Some polearm might have velvet and brass tack coverings for late ceremonial pieces I think ?

Oh, on the other hand I see an advantage in a smooth aft because it makes shifting handgrip position fast and easy while a covering give a more secure grip at the cost of making changes in grip more difficult I think.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig will probably announce it but the Iberian mace is the February Highlight Item at $99 Cool It's one of the pieces I have to pick up and smile at least once a day. Wink Laughing Out Loud

A steal as far as I'm concerned. Big Grin

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Craig will probably announce it but the Iberian mace is the February Highlight Item at $99 Cool It's one of the pieces I have to pick up and smile at least once a day. Wink Laughing Out Loud

A steal as far as I'm concerned. Big Grin

Have to call....have to call...

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one last sword on order, almost finished now, the "Black Prince" with a custom ultra fierce tip and I am feeling rather "compelled" to have an Iberian Mace put in the box with the sword!
This polearm has a real nice feel to it, I've sure played around with it enough times. Might as well buy one at this price.

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A & A Iberian Mace.Product Review
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: