Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bought First Blade.. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Watson

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Bought First Blade..         Reply with quote

Hello everyone..

The names Gord Watson as you can see and just recently I have ordered a Albion "Pedite" Gladius... I probably went about it the wrong way. I did little research and did not look at prices at all. I figured, that for ones first sword, it should be more about style than substance, as even a novice knows visually what he desires. That being said, I'm still curious as to what people think of Albion Swords. Are they a good make?, What is there reputation?.

I have always liked Roman Swords. They have a simplistic beauty which I find attractive. Generally they seem to be set up for stabbing which gives a blade shape with I also find appealing... Perhaps this is influenced by my intrest in Roman History. Currently I am trying to teach myself classical latin.. With surprisingly some success..

Anyways if you cant tell, I'm pretty new to swords and just wanted to say hello...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the site!

We have over thirty hands-on reviews of swords by Albion Armorers in our Reviews Section. This will give you a very good idea of how the authors writing for this site feel about them. Albion products are discussed in hundreds of topics on this very forum, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought First Blade..         Reply with quote

Gordon Watson wrote:
... just recently I have ordered a Albion "Pedite" Gladius... I probably went about it the wrong way. I did little research and did not look at prices at all. ....

Gord, there is an old saying that it is better to be lucky than to be good at something. You're right, you probably did go about it the wrong way. But you were also lucky, because you made an excellent choice!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve. You probably did go about it the wrong way. Without doing a fair little bit of research it is difficult for a beginner to distinguish between a good and a bad reproduction sword. That said, you lucked out. The Albion Roman swords are awesome. I've held all three, and they are just great. They look great, and feel even better. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Gordon,

I am happy and honored that you decided that the Pedite by Albion would be your first sword. I do the hands on research and design of the historical swords Albion produce.The development of the roman swords has been especially interesting (the spathae are no going through hilt development). There is quite a bit of variation in style of these weapons, even among the recognized types. The Pedite was heavily influenced by a blade that is exhibited in the Deutsches Klingenmuseum, but I also relied on archaeological reports to make sure I did not just rely on this one odd sword.

The hilt is based upon a sword hilt in the British museum, turned and carved out of a single piece of ivory. This single hilt provided the principle of design for the three current gladii, so you can see I allowed mylself some degree of variation in the shaping of individual components. They key element I made use of is the way the turned grip interacts with the guard: a important ergonomical feature to allow secure grip and definite tactile directing of the edge.
On future gladii version for the NG line I might include the more common half spherical guards you often see, but guards with oval cross section do exist as well. Perhaps there will be opportunity to introduce another pompei type blade as well (there are no real plans on this, I have just become a fan of these humble looking swords so I keep thinking about other possibilities .)

To me it was a surprice to se how well a sword like the Pedite functions as a cutting tool. It will thrust just like you´d expect, but it will definitely cut with vigour as well. A dependable close quarters weapon.

I am also fascinated by the apparent simple design of roman swords. They do provide some intricate problems that have marked influence on the final outcome however. One should not be fooled by the first impression.

I hope you will find enjoyment and satisfaction with your Pedite!

Salve!
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter-

What does Albion use for ivory?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is from Albion's description of the Pedite gladius:

"The Pedite guard and pommel are hand-crafted of walnut, the grip turned from holly, and the inset guard plate and pommel nut are of bronze."

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:
Peter-

We don´t Happy

For obvious reasons ivory must be replaced by some other material. Bone would seem straight forward, but bone has other issues that are less than perfect for a production of a series of swords. For solid parts such as pommels and guards the only alternative would be big examples of the base of elk or moose horns. These do come in sizes that could fit in some instances, but no secure source of such a material is to be found.
Bone is also difficult to find in material of correct size. This problem should not be overlooked as it can severely hamper delivery times: something customers find upsetting and frustrating.
For custom production limitations in the material like this is much less of a problem as product are made in a one by one basis with no demand for steady availability.
Bone also poses quite a health hazard. The dust is very bad for the lungs when inhaled. Bone creates a great dusty mess and smells like the seventh circle of hell when worked.

The solution is to develop the designs so that they do not include ivory. I am no fan of ivory imitation for the NG line.

Instead it is neccessary to look at other solutions. We are lucky in the all wood hilts were pretty common. With the roman hilts all wood or possible all bronze, or a combination of wood and bronze (or possibly even wood an steel) can be used with much less problems ivolved.
The grips of the Gladii and for the most part of the spathae bone will not be used for grips, but instead holly. A wood that provides a hard, durable grip in a light color almost without grain.
The popular image of the roman sword is a hillt with dark pommel and guard and whitish grip. This image is so strong it is difficult to depart form even if the originals show mcuh more variation on the color of components.

We might see some other solutions in the spathae, but these are still in development and nothing is final yet.
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Shawn Shaw wrote:
Peter-

We might see some other solutions in the spathae, but these are still in development and nothing is final yet.

This is a question to Albion in general! Is there a possibillity of ordering a Spatha un assembled so one could copy the handle piece by your self in Moosehord witch I have a good suply of living in huntercountry Big Grin ! This would help a bit and I wouldnt have to put the grinder to the topnob.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:

I once owned a FirstGeneration Pompeii gladius that had a "bone" grip (bone from what? not sure). It wasn't ivory, but it certainly wasn't wood either. It had a unique texture to it that made the sword very easy to wield, and even contributed to the sword's overall balance which was, in a word, superb. The shape of the bone grip was contoured to the user's hand which made it very comfortable to hold. Though I love the NextGens, I sure miss the FirstGeneration line!

Gordon: Hello and welcome to the site! Albion has a steller reputation for quality in their products. Their pieces have been in very high demand among knowledgable collectors in recent years. Their 'Pedite' gladius would be an exceptional start to any collection!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bought First Blade..
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic