Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armoury evolution Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Oriol Quin

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Armoury evolution         Reply with quote

Hello everybody.
I'm new in this forum and maybe this is not the place to ask this question. Excuse-me plis.
I'm searching a website that describes the evolution of the european body armoury during the X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV and XVI.
Can you help me.
Thanks to all.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the site! We hope you enjoy this place. We try to make it worthwehile.

I've moved this to the off-topic forum since you're asking about a Web site. You had it in "Historical Arms Talk" which is a discussion of historical arms and armour, not Web sites.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Armoury evolution         Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello everybody.
I\\\'m new in this forum and maybe this is not the place to ask this question. Excuse-me plis.
I\\\'m searching a website that describes the evolution of the european body armoury during the X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV and XVI.
Can you help me.
Thanks to all.

You ca give a look at www.armourarchive.org

They are SCA, which means that they often mingle stuyles while they do not use steel weapons.

But there are many worthwile threads pointing to lot of armor information.

AFAIK a comprehensive and well documented website like the one you are looking for doesn\\\'t exist.

Poring through this website as well as through armourarchive (www.swordforum.com has a nice little armor section) you shall colelct tons of interesting links, either museums or renactor sites carryng often the highest quality of information (well, not that often, be careful).

FOr example, yesterday I stumbled across this great german site www.reenactment.de.

But there are really at least twenty I now that provide for good infos.

Look at this website\\\'s links for a start.
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am in the process of building such a site, in the form of a timeline.
A draft version of the Age of Mail is currently available.

I welcome the comments of people who can point out any errors, as well as suggestions on how to improve the functioning of the timeline.

The rest of the website is in my signature. The timeline is in the resources section.

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Armoury evolution         Reply with quote

Oriol Quin wrote:
Hello everybody.
I'm new in this forum and maybe this is not the place to ask this question. Excuse-me plis.
I'm searching a website that describes the evolution of the european body armoury during the X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV and XVI.
Can you help me.
Thanks to all.

Welcome Oriol! Happy

Have you tried searching for armour-related threads here on the myArmoury forums? Some of this has been discussed.

There are a few decent websites that might help you. Here's one associated with the Higgins Armoury, USA, that talks about armour development:

http://users.wpi.edu/~dev_alac/iqp/indepth/historyofarmor.html

There's also the website for the Royal Armoury in the UK. This might have some information for you:

http://www.royalarmouries.org/

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, has some interesting pages devoted to the history of armour in their "Timeline of Art History" section. Here's a link to one of those pages, which can lead you to the other pages in that section:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/arms/hd_arms.htm

The Met also has some nice images on-line.

I would actually recommend getting some books about the subject if you are really interested in the history of armour. There are many good books out there describing the history of arms and armour, although many are now out of print. The myArmoury site has a section devoted to books, with members' book lists as well as a bookstore. Here are some titles I would recommend, although some may be hard to find:

-Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight by David Edge and John Miles Paddock (If you can find this one, it may be the best introductory book to the study of medieval arms and armour.)

-European Armour Circa 1066 to Circa 1700 by Claude Blair.

-Brassey's Book of Body Armor by Robert Woosnam-Savage and Anthony Hall.

A couple of works by Ewart Oakeshott that are a bit out of date (so I recommend them with reservations for the beginner in the study of arms and armour), but still contain some interesting information are:

-The Archaeology of Weapons

-A Knight and His Armour (It's for kids, but it's not simplistic or lacking in useful information.)

I hope this was helpful!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armoury evolution
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic