Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Good idea? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Good idea?         Reply with quote

Is it a good idea to buy just the blade and do the rest ourselves? because i wanted to do it but i don't know if it's a good idea...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Good idea?         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Is it a good idea to buy just the blade and do the rest ourselves? because i wanted to do it but i don't know if it's a good idea...

Etienne,
Once again, you're asking a very very broad question. What kind of project are you undertaking? What are your goals for the project? What is the experience level of the people working the project? What kind of sword are you assembling? Is the blade shaped and heat-treated? Etc., etc. Please give us more information if you want us to help you. If you ask non-specific questions, you will get non-specific answers.

Also, consider editing your topic title to let readers have a better sense of what the thread is about. Again, please be specific.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For thoses who needs info for the blades here's a link

http://heimrick.netfirms.com/indexanglo.htm
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, they don't say on that site the steel that they are using, but on the listed weights for each "sword type" (short sword, long sword, bastard sword) they sound like they're on the heavy side. The fact that they are using the previously listed terminology, and the mirror polish on most of their blades and components does not bode well for their quality. The blade shapes don't look very historical to me at least. In short, not something that I would buy, but it's up to you.

As for whether or not it's a good idea to do it yourself, that's a call that you should be making yourself, since I/we don't know what you're capable of doing or your background in this subject.

www.addisondelisle.com
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it is more sports blade not very historical but durable here's some info of some peoples that bought them:

Feedback from our customers :

David M. Cvet, A.I. IMAF, President & Founder (AEMMA) : "Our Heimrick swords have been used in training in Toronto, fought in tournaments in Canada and the USA and continue to retain their superb performance."

Brian McIlmoyle A.I. IMAF Principal Instructor (AEMMA) : The Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts uses Heimrick swords exclusivly, AEMMA considers these swords to be of excellent quality and unsurpassed value. Anyone looking for a well balanced and robust training blunt should end their search with Heimrick Armoury swords.

Chris Myers (Company of Maisters) : I am very pleased with the Heimrick swords. They are light weight, well balanced and durable. The price is also very reasonable. I recomend them to anyone who is training in the art of the sword.

Harry T Heydon (ONT) (Blades of Glory) : I have spent 4 years and alot of money trying to find a sword that will hold up to our style of fighting, and at the same time at a reasonable price. Your swords meet both these requirements admirably. I have purchased and used "combat ready" swords from other companies and had them break in as little as 30 seconds of fighting (July 3, 2000, Promenade Days Barrie, Ont.... luckily it was after a show - as I refused the sword maker's request to use it in the show until we tested it in combat!). Another "combat ready" sword did not even last one practice before the half of the blade broke off.

Jeff (NJ): Terrific weapons!! They're beautiful AND practical. My only worry is my wife's jealousy (and that she's got one too!)!

Chris (NY) OTL : I would like to let you know, we have used these blades in practice and in tournament in
Terena Portugal. These swords are the best I have seen or used. They have a nice balance, and the pomel and grip fit us very well. Your blades have great flex and sensitivity, and the edges are getting harder with use.

DAKAO (TX) : I just got your sword today! It looks quite nice yet with clean lines --
just like I expected it. The balance is terrific!

ADAM BIRCH (CDN): my expectations have been far exceeded. The Item is beautiful. Nice clean lines, good balance. This sword will serve me well in the years to come.

CHRIS DELLA FAVE (O. T. L.) (NY) : I wanted to let you know, the sword you made for my wife is excellent. We are VERY pleased with it's weight and balance. Thank You.

JOSEPH CADIEUX (Tournament Production) CALIF : I just wanted to let you know that I received the 2 swords and they were in use at the Livermore tournament last weekend. They broke 2 swords made by an unknown competitor with out much more than a surface scratch.

MICHAEL CASSIDY (NJ): I purchased and received the rapier dagger set... I wanted to just say that I used the sword in the Ren fair I was in and it was great. Folks loved how it looked and the other fighters loved how it held up and the functionality of the blade. After 4 months of practice and constant use and 2 weekends of the show, the blade is in almost perfect condition (minor burr's and very small dings). This set has been one of the best sword buy's I have ever made in regards to a beautiful show piece and fully functional fighting piece combined.

CAT McLoed (California) : Very easy to wield considering it's length. I had to adjust my style due to it's size. Excellent blade, it took some serious punishment today and was envied by many both before and after it was used with success. Flexes just right, balanced for speed everyone was most impressed.

ALEXANDER NEPPL (Germany Bavaria) : I am very satisfied with the shortswords. You manifested that you are a very great swordsmith I think.

Kirby M. Miller, (Alaska)......I have 158 swords from all over the world and no other compares to Heimrick's in balance and flexibility. It is nothing less than an extension of my

arm. My many thanks to JP and Heimrick Armeor.

Chris Penney OMSG (Ottawa) : The sword arrived today. It feels great- it's light, and the balance feels good. I look forward to trying it out.

Aaron Pynenberg (Wisconsin USA) : I have been using the Longsword now for about a week and a half. I love it! It is a very well made piece congrats. It really shows how well made it is with other blunts. The finish is very durable and easy to maintain, perfect for WMA just as advertised, thanks for the quality
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And for the steel it's steel-molybdenum.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, but I already read the testimonials on the actual page. And as for the steel name I read that as well, but it doesn't mean all that much because molybdenum is used in many different steels as a hardening agent, so it doesnt tell you all that much about the properties of the steel.

This entire discussion seems rather tangential to your actual point, which is whether or not people on the forum think you are capable of assembing a sword yourself, which is in itself a question that you should be able to answer yourself. If you are comfortable with securing the pommel, wedging the guard, shaping a wood core for the grip, possibly covering the wood core with some sort of material such as leather, wire, or cord, then go for it.

www.addisondelisle.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Good idea?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic