Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Tut exibit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: King Tut exibit         Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I caught the King Tut exibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. Next stop is Philidelphia in Feb.
Not many weapons, but the ones they had are spectacular. I especially liked the golden dagger. It was easier to see the details this time as they had it displayed in such a way that you could see all sides of it and very close too. There was also a large "ceremonial" mace that nonetheless looked as if could deliver a deadly blow. Many objects had depictions of hunting and subduing various enemies that allow one to see the weapons of the time in use.
I thought it well worth the low price (about $25) and not too long wait. W.

tweetchris
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: King Tut exibit         Reply with quote

Hi William,

Thanks for letting me know. I missed the Tut roadshow back in the 80's(?), and I thought that I might catch this one when it comes to Philly.

BTW Were you able to take any pictures of the exhibit?

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw a king tut exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale recently (last year). It was really enlightening. There are litterally thousands of artifacts and some are weapons. Take a look at the swords especially. They seem very long and slender, if memory serves, which is unexpected. I hope you guys all had(have) an awesome time! My dad went to see it in Seattle I believe as well.

Oh, and Jeff, pictures were NOT allowed sadly at the one I went to. Infact, the guide that was with us told us specifically not to and as soon as she was done saying that...Click...Flash....And a camaera was confiscated Laughing Out Loud
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Notice that they allow the gold weapons to leave Egypt but not the iron one. It is considered too valuable. The camera should indeed have been confiscated. Flash photography can seriously damage exhibit items. Not to mention the copyright issues.
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I for one was very glad that photography was not allowed. I would have had a much less enjoyable experience with flashes going off while I'm observing those things. The exibit DVD is very good. I recommend the gallery portion, as it is just video of the objects without commentary. I did visit the exibit when it came in the 70's. I waited in line for around 8 hours to see it. It's better organized this time with entry times reserved in half hour blocks. Many of the larger things didn't make it but there are many new things this time. About 50 things total from Tut's tomb and a bunch of objects from his ancestors were included. W.
tweetchris

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Tut exibit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic