Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Boxing Day Gathering Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Boxing Day Gathering         Reply with quote

Hello,

I had a small myArmoury gathering at my house on December 26. Steve Grisetti was visiting in the DC area from Florida and it gave me the excuse to host a small get together at my house. Drinks, desserts and show and tell were on the menu.

Attached are some photos, just so you know that I was thinking of all of you. (Confidential to Jean: I raised many a glass in your honor. XO)

Attachment: 82.2 KB
BoxingDay1.jpg

Attachment: 84.1 KB
BoxingDay3.jpg

Attachment: 74.14 KB
BoxingDay4.jpg

Attachment: 84.87 KB
BoxingDay5.jpg

Attachment: 79.08 KB
BoxingDay7.jpg
Left to right:
Me, Bob Busch, Bill Grandy, Ed Toton, guest of honor Steve Grisetti

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela thank for the kind thoughts. Big Grin

But why are you always half in pics and half out ? Bad framing by the photographer or do you just suddenly jump out of the shot. ( Mostly joking but I almost want to reach through my computer screen and nudge the elbow of the photographer to pan left by a few degrees ! ) ( Sorry, years of T.V. camera work makes me sensitive about framing a shot and composition and maybe a little too critical of casual on the spot photography ! )

Nice clutter of swords. Wink Cool Laughing Out Loud ( XXX )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another picture of the clutter.

Attachment: 91.87 KB
boxingday10.jpg

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like travelling to / packing for a gun show ........ but with swords. Razz

I can see in the various pics swords that are obviously training swords that in training get knocked together all the time so having them in close contact when packed wouldn't cause any more " dings " than actual regular use: But I see a couple of what I think are sharps ( Collectables ) lying one on top of each other. Eek! Call it an O.C.D. ( Obsessive compulsive disorder. ) moment but I never let two naked sharps overlap or even touch to avoid any chance of one blade nicking the other. ( In period, as using swords one might still be careful but they would be tools first and art objects last, but in MY modern context as a collector I avoid any accidental damage as much as possible. If I practised serious cutting then I would accept the normal wear and tear. )

Gee ! Way TOO serious when this Topic was just to show a friendly gathering. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Nice to see Steve. Cool

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,
If you are referring to the two swords on top of the gun case, you don't need to worry. Happy Those are training swords. They are my Albion Squire Line swords, not sharp. And the bastard sword has seen a lot more wear and tear than occurred at that party. Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi Jean,
If you are referring to the two swords on top of the gun case, you don't need to worry. Happy Those are training swords. They are my Albion Squire Line swords, not sharp. And the bastard sword has seen a lot more wear and tear than occurred at that party. Laughing Out Loud

Just blame Albion for making their Squire Line swords look so good that one thinks they are the sharp versions. Wink

But I feel much better now. Laughing Out Loud What makes my teeth hurt is when at a knife show I see some guy put a knife back on a table full of knives carelessly and one hears the clash of steel scraping on steel. ( Fingernails on a blackboard ..... CRINGE. Evil Laughing Out Loud )

Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, the thing that often makes me cringe is when I see someone manhandling a nice pristine blade, leaving a wide array of acid-etching fingerprints all over the thing, and then put it away. Ever since seeing the pattern of my own fingers rusting into a blade, it's been one of my little peeves. Happy

BTW Pamela-- Thanks for inviting me! Had a great time!

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Boxing Day Gathering         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hello,

I had a small myArmoury gathering at my house on December 26. Steve Grisetti was visiting in the DC area from Florida and it gave me the excuse to host a small get together at my house. Drinks, desserts and show and tell were on the menu.

Attached are some photos, just so you know that I was thinking of all of you. (Confidential to Jean: I raised many a glass in your honor. XO)

Thanks for the wonderful time, Pamela! And thanks to Mark, Chris and Tommie for putting up with all of us. It was a pleasure to see you and your family again. Your desserts were marvelous, and your Irish Coffee can’t be beat!! It was especially nice to have the opportunity to share sword show-and-tell with people who respond with Cool appreciation, rather than a Question Question. The mix of myArmoury folks and their significant others was just right, so that the sword people could talk about swords, and the non-sword people had others with whom to relate.

It was unfortunate that Helen Miller couldn’t be there, but her sword with the new Muir-Special grip wrap looked great.

And, Jean Thibodeau, your ears must have been tingling from the toasts raised in your honor.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Pamela ... why are you always half in pics and half out ? ....

Hmmm – it would have been better to have all of Pamela, and half of me. I should learn to not show my expansive profile to a camera!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like it was a lot of fun! You sure had a lot of nice toys to look at Big Grin

I was wondering what maker the short cutlass (or saber, cuttoe, or whatever you would like to call it) is from? Do you have any more photos of it? I keep coming back to this post to look at the wonderful "clutter" of goodies and this sword keeps grabbing my attention. Any info on it would be nice. Big Grin

-James

Attachment: 84.87 KB
BoxingDay5[1].jpg

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:
... I was wondering what maker the short cutlass (or saber, cuttoe, or whatever you would like to call it) is from? Do you have any more photos of it? ....

Vince Evans made that hanger for the Masters of Fire International Exhibition of Contemporary Blade Smiths, which was held by the Macao Museum of Art, in late 2005/early 2006. Here is a photo of the sword on the Masters of Fire website (I hope its ok to link to their photo here).
More to come later.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Steve! That is an absolutely beautiful hanger. Hangers aren't really my thing, but wow I can't take my eyes off it!

-James

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:
Thanks Steve! That is an absolutely beautiful hanger. Hangers aren't really my thing, but wow I can't take my eyes off it!

-James

Thanks. Neither could/can I. That hanger is one of a very few highlights in my collection. Another of the highlights is the E. B. Erickson "Pinch of Snuff" basket hilt, which I also brought to the gathering (and appears, though not to best advantage, in the photo Pamela posted with the hanger).

If you are interested, Antonio Cejunior has made available wallpapers of each of the Masters of Fire submissions, including the Vince Evans Hanger, at the following web page: http://www.arscives.com/mastersofire/wallpaper.htm.

- Sir Toby Belch
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again Steve!
Your hanger is now my wallpaper Big Grin Its absolutely beautiful!

-James

p.s. That basket hilt is very nice too, but I must say there is something very alluring about a short curved blade.

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know the photos weren't of the best quality. Blame it on several glasses of Virginia sparkling wine and a few of those Irish coffees. Blush And posting long after my bedtime. And deliberately avoiding being in the photos myself. Razz

Steve, I really enjoyed your visit and the chance to see your lovely wife and your charming son again. I know my boys (all 3, husband and 2 sons) appreciated their company and sharing Scouting stories.

And, of course, it's great fun to share swords and sword stories with those that truly understand.
Cool

Attachment: 53.09 KB
BoxingDay6.jpg
Another photo of the very beautiful baskethilt.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
I know the photos weren't of the best quality....

Oh, my. I fear that I poorly stated my comment about the basket hilt being shown "... not to best advantage...." The photos were great and a fine representation of a wonderful gathering. We had a sword enthusiast's candy store at the gathering. We could have spent the whole evening just doing a photo shoot of each of the swords, if we'd been of such a mind. You and Bill each had some pieces worthy of more photos. I certainly appreciate your posting the added basket hilt photo, though!
Quote:
Steve, I really enjoyed your visit and the chance to see your lovely wife and your charming son again. I know my boys (all 3, husband and 2 sons) appreciated their company and sharing Scouting stories.
Thanks, Pamela. I will be interested in hearing about Mark and Chris' Philmont trek.
- Sir Toby Belch
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela,
The photos were great, thanks for posting them! And thanks for that extra photo of the basket hilt Happy

-James

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all, Happy New Year! I haven't been on the forums the past couple of days due to various holiday reasons, so I only just saw this, but thanks goes to Pamela and the Muir family for having us! Steve's swords were absolutely gorgeous, and that Vince Evans hanger really was a true work of art. It's gorgeous in photos, but man, when you see it up close, it is truly amazing. Puts every piece I own to shame.

Steve, it was great to see you again.

Sorry I didn't think to bring my camera, I know I brought about ten of my swords, and Pamela had a similar number. It was certainly a little crowded with bladed weapons there. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Boxing Day Gathering         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

It was unfortunate that Helen Miller couldn’t be there, but her sword with the new Muir-Special grip wrap looked great.

Sad

Steve,
I am so sorry that I couldn't attend. I missed you all!

Helen

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Boxing Day Gathering
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic