Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thanks for this web site is much due Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
W Purcell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for this web site is much due         Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here. I also apologize for being completely computer illiterate.I love this site.I love the people and the way it is conducted.If I should EVER offend anyone please forgive me!So to start with a question.Can a poorly heat treated sword be re-treated and re-fitted?
W Purcell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for this web site is much due         Reply with quote

W Purcell wrote:
Hello, I'm new here. I also apologize for being completely computer illiterate.I love this site.I love the people and the way it is conducted.If I should EVER offend anyone please forgive me!So to start with a question.Can a poorly heat treated sword be re-treated and re-fitted?
I re-read this and apologise.I really do love this site!I'm sorry it sounds so lame the way I put it,but it just came out that way. sorry!
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for this web site is much due         Reply with quote

W Purcell wrote:
Can a poorly heat treated sword be re-treated and re-fitted?

Basically yes, but it would help to know which kind of steel it is (some steels do not harden that well) and how the cross-guard and the pommel are fixed to the blade.

Greetings from Kiel, Germany.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
W Purcell

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Mr.Focke.A friend and I were just discussing slightly modifying a lower cost sword as a learning project for fun.Practice making and fittings and such{hopefully we can find a broken sword or two}.I just thought that if we got lucky enough to get a half decent blade somewhere that we could get it re-treated and work on that as a special project . Again thank you for your reply,and greetings from America!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W Purcell wrote:
I just thought that if we got lucky enough to get a half decent blade somewhere that we could get it re-treated and work on that as a special project .

I've got a short Katzbalger-blade lying around in my workshop with a material defect near the tip. I would give it to you to "play" around with, but I think the shipping costs alone might not be worth the trouble. It is not polished anyway...

But I am curious about your project (as always with the work of others, professional or not). So please post some pictures of it when you start working on it.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
W Purcell

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr.Focke that is an overly generous offer!! I am almost rendered speachless!The cost would indeed be prohibitive,but aside from that as a poor southerner I would be very hard pressed to match that level of generosity! I would feel like I were abusing those around me as I probably could never recipocate! I remove my cap and bow to you sir,you have shown your quality!!Many,many thanks to you my friend!! Mr. Robinson this is why I love this site.The quality of the people!To all others out there,I'm not fishing for freebies!!This offer genuinely shocked and pleased me,and yes IF my friend and I do accomplish something I will post pictures Mr.Focke! P.S. sorry for such a long post comeing from one who won't even talk on the telephone!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi W. Purcell and Welcome Exclamation I too am relatively new here, I joined myArmoury in September 2005 and I am here to tell you that this website has been of immense help to me in learning about my new found life's passion here in my late 40s.
So many kind and helpful people that make up the membership, as well as being blessed with members who are the leading experts in their fields of smithing, weapons instruction, some have authored books, several of which I have bought.
I especially love reading the posts of these experts who are absolutely the top shelf people in their field Exclamation What is even more astounding, is the fact that these same masters are all very humble people who earnestly try to help others. They are the finest examples of Knightly Character Exclamation

The directors of this website are also the same type of people and very helpful! Congratulations on finding one first class website!

Sincerely a fellow student!

Bob
W Purcell

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Burns for your welcome.I truly will enjoy the people and knowledge here! I hope all visitors can recognise that this website has a value beyond swords and appreciate that honor is indeed still alive and well! I thank everyone for their welcome,and hope even newer newcomers read these posts so they know good people are around you just have to find them!! THANK YOU myArmoury.COM !!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thanks for this web site is much due
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic