Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying Swords ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mel Creery

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Displaying Swords ?         Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the general direction for information and /or resources for sword display ?
I already use a couple of vettical wall mounts, but am interested in mounting a pair of swords on the wall crossed and I haven't seen much on how to go about it the right way..
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As silly as it may sound we used 6, 2 inch finish nails,

it takes two people:

1: locate the point where you want the two swords the intersect, bare in mind you will need a minimum of 4 inches above that point to accommodate the for lack of a better term blade and tip over hang

2: take the first sword place it at the angle you are going for (45 degree in our case) place one nail on the handle side of the quillon, then place a second nail on the other side diagonally across on the blade side of the quillon make sure that you have about 4 inches of blade tip resting on and past the nail from step 1.

3: repeat for the second sword (it should be a mirror image)

4: step back to make sure your even (this is where having a second person who can stand back and adjust during the process is a big help) when all is looking good place the last nail at the very top of the x of the sword tips.

we have done this with several different sizes of swords and the whole set up has survived a birthday party for my son (they are about 6 feet off the ground but parents like to try and grab things just as often as their children and never seem to feel bad when you scold them.

best part is that it costs only pennies to do.

here is a photo

Attachment: 101.91 KB
[ Download ]
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did something similar with a pair of swords using 5 nails-- two for each sword's blade at the guard, and one at the intersection of the blades. The swords are very securely held. Of course, if you're planning to hang swords that you also want to be able to take down and handle periodically, this isn't a good method. For swords that are 100% wall-hanger, this is great.

I managed to hang mine myself, without a second person. I placed the center intersection nail first. Then, when I had the angle right for the first sword, I held it in place (and steadied the nail) with my left hand, and hammered both nails in under it's guard. Then repeated for the other sword. Afterwards I came back and tapped the intersection nail in deeper to secure it.

If they're close together like this, you can easily use a tape-measure and a level to make sure it's all even.

Attachment: 67.11 KB
[ Download ]

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Mel Creery

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! - I had thought of nails, but I'm not sure they would work out on dry-wall - and anchored screws wouldn't look right - I think I'm leaning towards some kind of slotted plaque or what have you that I can hang ...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying Swords ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic