Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: What is this?         Reply with quote

A friend of mine has this weapon at home and asked me to make some research on it. So I turn to you gentlemen/gentlewomen. I guessed Ottomanian or at least middleeastern but thats just a guess.

Attachment: 98.1 KB
[ Download ]

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to say... it's a... Kinjal

Out of my area of interest, though. But it might serve as a starting point for research.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
E Stafford

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would probably be a kama. It's a Russian dagger/short sword. Handle gives it away.
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would you say about the timeframe on tha? I thought it looked like something from late 19th C. early 20th. C. but I´m not familiar with it.
Dennis Zlat

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is very similar to the daggers that were used in Caucasus area, and by Russian Kazaks. More likely, the beginning of 20th century.
Martin Wallgren, make more detail photos if you want more accurate explanation.
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will...

heres one more of the handle and one of the stamp

Attachment: 41.09 KB
Stamp1.jpg

Attachment: 41.64 KB
[ Download ]

William Knight

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not an expert but it does look Caucasian, and probably from a century ago or so, give or take, based on when they were used.
-Wilhelm
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Quama is Georgian and differs mostly in decroation from the Cossak Kinjal. On the Kinjal the hilt is typically horn, and usually plain other than the mounting rivets that run through both horn plates and the tang and are usually large. On the Quama the hilt ( again typically but not always of horn) is normally covered in thin nickle or silver. The "front" of the hilt will be heavily decorated while the "back" ( the side that will face the body when in the sheath) is almost plain with at best some crude almost pointless punchwork. On the Kinjal the throat and the tip of the scabbard will be covered in thin nickle or silver and the "front" or "outside" heavily worked (more often than not with raised work although damascening isn't uncommon) while the "back" left plain or with rudimentary punch work. On the Quama the scabbard is typically completely covered in thin nickle or silver and heavily work more typically with raised work but like the Kinjal damascening wasn't uncommon. The "back" of the Quama scabbard like the Kinjal was left undecorated or with rudimantary punchwork.

To complicate this a bit a weapon that is virtually identicle to the Kinjal and Quama in shape and decoration was used throughout Indo-Persia and one theory i've heard is that the type was transmitted to the Caucuss region through trade.

Blades can vary from plain to heavily decorated with engraved Islamic quotes being a somewhat common motif. Occasional patternwelded/damascus blades are know most likely imported and will usually have the "ladder to Allah" pattern.

Thats most of what I remember from when I used to collect them about 10-15 years ago.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin,
I don't know about the distinctions between Quama (Kama) and Kinjal (Kindjal), most of the kindjal I have seen are more ornate than what you have, also their blades usually only had one central fuller about three quarters of the blade. The sheaths were also ornate, and the provenance could be any state from that region bordering the Caucasus, from Georgia, to Turkey to Persia (Iran). The models I've seen were all XIX th century, but I see no reason why such a basic model could not be more ancient.Maybe one man's Kama is the other man's Kindjal. The one thing that intrigues me is the blade, and the number of fullers, it can't be a ''weight'' factor given the size of the weapon, so I would figure that you could get your bearings more from the blade than the general configuration. If we knew where that type of blade was favored, then we could make an educated guess as to provenance.
Jean-Carle

Bon coeur et bon bras
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are currently several Cossack Kinjals on ebay. One is dated 1919 and the other 1911 on the back of the metal fitting on the throat of thier sheaths and the dates are almost the only markings on the back at all. The sheaths are similar to the one in this thread ( they still retain thier leather covering while a good portion of the one above has deteriorated) although the metal fitting at the tips of thier sheathes have about an inch or so of braided wire above the ball terminel which this one lacks. They both have front hilt plates of ivory and back plates of horn. There were alot produced in the ramp up to WWI to equip the Czar's rapidly expanding armies and there was another rapid output in WWII although these WWII blades seem to have been very utilitarian and of a mass produced quality when compared to the individual works that the WWI and earlier blades were.

Heres what Stone has to say about the Qama: The national weapon of Georgia. It is the original of the Cossack Kinjal, and one of the principle grievences of the Georgians was that thier hereditary enemies, the Cossacks, were allowed to carry the Georgian national knife. Qamas vary les in size than Kinjals and are of more uniformly good workmanship. The better ones have fine paneled blades and the hilts and scabbards are covered with embossed silver, frequently set with coral. They are seldom, if ever, decorated with chern ( black enamle).

Stone on the Quaddra: A Persian broadsword that is precisely like a very long kindjal.

And on the Kinjal: THe knife universally carried in the Caucus. It is practically the same as the Georgian qama. The usual form has a broad, double edged blade with nearly parallel side for the greater part of its length, and a very long, sharp point. Occasionally the blades are curved, and a few straight ones have short points. The blades are frequently paneled and marked with seals. The hilts are straight in the grip with broad pommels and an enlargement of the same size and shape next to the blade. The grips are often of two pieces of wood or horn riveted to the flat tang, sometimes they are of metal and cover the tang completely. The scabbards are covered with leather and have large silver chapes and lockets or are entirely covered with silver, Alla of the silver parts are almost always decorated with chern (black enamel) The decoration of the fronts of the scabbards is very well designed and executed, but that of the backs is very crudely done. The blades vary in length from about three to 18 inches.
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: What is this?         Reply with quote

I own a few kinjals (or kindjals) and would say this is probably one as well, although without more pictures of the whole blade and some measurements its hard to say if it falls into the Quama or indo-persian/turkish kinjal catagory.

I have seen many kinjals with single fullers and many with multiple fullers. There seems to be a great variety in the fullers. I don't know if the number of fullers can definately id either time period or geographic location.

This design (kinjal that is) seems to have been used for centuries in the Caucuas region, and as stated, also appeared in Iran (persia) turkey and other parts of the old ottoman enpire. Many are very plain and utilitarian and quite a few are highly decorated with richly silvered scabbard fitting and rivetheads.

I also have seen very large (short sword sized) and quite small ones. Many seem to have blades in the 10-14 inch length. Most that I have seen have had straight blades, but some few are curved. All had the distinctive kinjal shaped handle (as does the one you posted) of horn or wood, with the full tang covered in a two piece construction handle and prominate rivet heads on one side (the one facing out when worn, apparently).

Personally, I love the variety of kinjals, which makes collecting them interesting, albiet frustrating when trying to pin down a particular knife' age or place of origin.

I think the key to identifying your friend's is the scabbard decoration and the makers mark (which looks like some islamic/arabic writing or cartouche to me).

Unfortunately, I know little about either, but I am sure there are some experts out there. I know the oriental arms website alway has kinjals as well as many other middle eastern/indo-persian/turkish/russian edged weapons for sale or pictured in their gallery photos. Review of them would be helpful. The owner of that site would be an expert in these weapons I am sure, if you could contact him.

All in all, from the little I see, it looks like a great piece and could be anywhere from the 18th to early 20th century. If I had to guess, I would say mid to late 19th century, but just a guess really. ..

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic