Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late 15th Cent. Helmet research help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Sanders

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Late 15th Cent. Helmet research help         Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to do some research on various forms of helmets in use during the War of the Roses. (Specifically early 1470's) I am, however hitting many snags. I was hoping to find manuscripts with drawings from various battles, but have been unsuccessful. I know the Sallet and kettle helm were enjoying widespread use, but I would like to see the various deviations in design. Anyone know a good direction to point me in? Thanks
--Dustin
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a bit later than your target date, but you might look in the Beauchamp Pageant...
Non Concedo
James Barker

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dustin

There is little in the way of English art out there, as Josh said there is the Beauchamp Pageant from about 10 to 13 years later. All you really see in it for lower class troops are sallets and kettles but they are specific designs.

http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/dragon-5.pdf page 26 has helms from other countries.

If you are looking for something for Lord Grey's you should sign up for our web board and ask over there, I can direct Jeff our armor guy your way to answer questions, he was banned from this board for giving comment on a poor armorer.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin,

It is hard to find period images of the Wars of the Roses, but there are a few that might help you. There are images of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, and Edward IV in full armour (although Edward does not wear a helmet) in the Rous Roll of about 1480. It is British Library Ms. Add. 48976. They have many images on-line, so it might be worthwhile to check them out (I found everything in various Osprey books- all debate about the accuracy of their colour plates aside, they are a rich source of period images).

There is another manuscript that shows some contemporary images from the Wars of the Roses, but it seems to be in bad shape. It is Ms. Harley 7353. One image shows Edward IV sitting atop a Wheel of Fortune. Soldiers in armour stand at his left (to the right in the image). Another image shows Edward IV leading his army past a pile of corpses. Yet another image shows Edward and the Earls of Salisbury and Warwick taking ship for Calais. And yet another from the same manuscript shows Edward kneeling before Henry VI after the king's capture at the battle of Northampton. And finally, another image shows Edward observing the three suns prior to the battle of Mortimer's Cross. Again, it's in rough shape, but it does show men in at least partial armour, with helmets (mostly visored or visorless sallets, with some kettle hats, by the looks of them).

The 15th-century Ghent version of The Arrival of Edward IV, Ms 264 in the Universiteit Bibliotheek, Ghent, has some battle scenes. There is one image of the Battle of Barnet, another of the Battle of Tewkesbury, and a third showing the Bastard of Fauconberg's attack on London. Another image shows the execution of the Duke of Somerset. I'm not sure if these images are exactly contemporary with the Wars of the Roses, but they might be worth looking at.

I found all these images in Towton 1461: England's Bloodiest Battle and Tewkesbury 1471: The Last Yorkist Victory, both Osprey Campaign books by Christopher Gravett.

It sounds as perhaps you're looking for helmets of the common soldiery, so this might not be a big help, but have you looked at the brasses and effigies of the time? These can be a good source of the knightly equipment of the day, and could give you an idea of what may have been obtained by the infantry as booty stripped from the dead.

I hope this helped!

Have a safe an enjoyable holiday!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late 15th Cent. Helmet research help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic