Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Benjamin Franklin in Houston, TX Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Sword of Benjamin Franklin in Houston, TX         Reply with quote

I recently visited the Houston Museum of Natural Science and saw the special exhibit "Benjamin Franklin: In Search of A Better World."

http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/BFranklin.asp

A great exhibit about a fascinating individual; highly recommended. Among the many personal effects and displays shown was Franklin's smallsword, which had a modestly sculpted clamshell-type guard and fairly robust proportions (about the size of the Hanwei "Scottish Court Sword" allegedly patterned off one roughly contemporary to Franklin).

Because no photos were allowed, as is common for special exhibits in any museum, I couldn't take any shots of it. But it was revealing to see this more martial side of someone we think of solely as an intellectual. (Indeed, I don't ever recall seeing any portrait of Franklin where he's wearing a sword.) One can only wonder what insights he might have offered if he'd applied his genius to a manual on swordsmanship...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although Franklin may have had a martial side, wouldn't a small sword more likely have been an item of court dress? Something like a fancy wrist watch or a bow tie?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The smallsword would have been fashionable for everyday wear. The wearing of a smallsword did not indicate mastery of it, let alone any type of dedicated study. Franklin may have only worn a sword while at court, but the smallsword was a part of everyday attire for the elite of the era. The 19th century saw the smallsword relegated primarily to court functions and fashion. John Oliver could illuminate this discussion even further...

Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an ambassador, it seems not unusual that one might have a sword (or several).

Franklin acted as an unofficial ambassador (more of a colonial liason) to England from 1765 (age 59) to 1775. His representation as ambssador to France lasted for ten years after that 1776-1785, all this as a senior citizen.

As the museum piece has been mentioned as representative of the period, it really only needs to be read as that.

Franklin was a diplomat, not a soldier. To the best of my recollection, he never bore arms in any conflict, nor as a member of any militia. I think it unlikely he was even skilled at arms. He was very much a city boy.

Several swords of George Washington survive. As far as I know , only one is attributed to his military service.

Cheers

GC
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it unlikely he was even skilled at arms. He was very much a city boy.

Not just that, but he was commoner by background, not aristocratic, so likely wouldn't have received fencing as part of a genteel upbringing. The exhibit gave alot of attention to this aspect of his character -- the self-made man.

His sword itself shows no signs of physical duress, though its proportions make it look useable. And of course Franklin himself didn't exactly have an athletic swordsman body type. I do hope that further study will reveal at least a portrait of him wearing the sword in his capacity as ambassador.

Being in France for so long, he might've witnessed some genuine swordplay in demonstration at court. Was smallsword duelling still actively pursued by the French at that late stage (1770s-80s)? Even without having been an active fencer, I'm sure his observations would've been of interest, or at the very least had the entertaining sarcasm of his Poor Richard's Almanack. Razz
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have read;

Franklin was not much for dressing up during his tenure as a statesman. It is certainly possible that he had been presented a sword (or more) but he is not known as having worn one. He had briefly been a military commander but was greatly aided in that by his son William's military experience. His other previous military involvment was more as a supply agent. He had spurred militia but did not lead them.

Louis XVI had a painting commissioned, I don't recall seeing a sword in it.

Cheers

GC

Edited to add this, written in his thirties. An essay on the necessity Of Self Defense. Found on the web;

(scroll down)
http://www.historycarper.com/resources/twobf2/pg41-47.htm

Also out there is his youthful poem about Teach and Maynard. Some smiting with swords there.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Benjamin Franklin in Houston, TX
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic