Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What's your experiece with Purple Wood Armoury? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: What's your experiece with Purple Wood Armoury?         Reply with quote

Are they any good at what they do? By this I mean, are their wasters worth the 50-80 dollars they sell for? Or are they still at the level of the cheaper ones? I've heard a few good things about them, but none of the people speaking spoke from owning one, only from using a product of theirs for a short time.

M
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like them. They're a bit hefty and blade heavy in comparison to a real well made, well balanced sword. What make them good is their durability. Mine about two years old and has put up with three time a week training routine. I'm satisfied.
" You little fool who wanted to be the best, see what happened." -MS 3227a
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you mean "Purple Heart Armoury"? I'm pretty pleased with mine. I'll agree that it's a little heavy in feel. It definitely has more heft than my MRL wasters, but clearly is a lot more durable as well.

I split one of the MRL models right down the grip and had a second one coming loose at the pommel in a surprisingly short time. I haven't had the Purple Heart model as long yet, but it's taking it's beatings quite admirably so far.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll echo what's said above. I have three, and while I primarily use steel these days, my wasters get loaned out to students a lot. I bought them about five years ago, I think, and as long as I keep them sanded and oiled, I've never had any problems with them.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own Purpleheart Armoury's longsword, sword and buckler. With some sanding and oil, all have stood up very well to more or less regular use, not to mention the climate (I live in a coastal city in Finland). Happy

They're blade-heavy, compared to real swords, but making the blades thinner would make them almost as dangerous as live steel, so that's not really much of a criticism: IME, wooden wasters just don't come much better than this.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few Purple Hearts as well. I find them pretty solid, if a bit bladey. I like their purple heart rondel as well. However, mine took a while to be delivered and one of my hand and a half's fairly quickly developed a bow in it.

However, I have to say, while I use mainly steel lately as well, I simply love my Raven Studios wasters.

http://www.little-raven.com/

I have a hand and a half, as well as an arming sword. They are incredible -- well balanced -- and tough. Also, the wood they use is simply gorgeous. I got teary-eyed when I scuffed it the first time. Cool

Raven Studios also has terrific customer service, from my experience.

Mike

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Purpleheart wasters are good tools...most of my class has them. I'm the only one that doesn't. I have New Striling Arms wasters which I think feel a little more like a real sword than the purplehearts. Either way, none really feel like steel, but definitely good training tools. We will be switching to aluminum soon, but we will still use the wood depending on what we're doing. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with the purplehearts. They're tough, and balanced well, plus they have a really good warranty.
David Martin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have ordered a couple hickory staves and a Rudis from Purpleheart Armory. I found Christian and Natasha Darce' to be wonderful to work with and committed to delivering a quality product. I will definitely purchase additional items from them in the future.
"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Matthew Miller

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have used purple heart for all of my time studying the longsword and single handed sword. I love them immensely, but I would wait to order one until their padded wasters are available again.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm thinking I like Little Raven's more than the others.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have both and have used the New Sterling wasters. The Raven Studios are elegant, sturdy, and feel lively in the hand. The Purple Heart's are solid, blade heavy and take a lot of abuse.

My opinion -- I love my Raven Studios wasters. I loan the Purple Hearts....

Mike Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What's your experiece with Purple Wood Armoury?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic