Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Subarmalis. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: My new Subarmalis.         Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my new subarmalis. I made it out of different linnen and wool layers with leather petrigues.

Attachment: 42.06 KB
Subarmalis2.jpg

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new Subarmalis.         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Here is a photo of my new subarmalis. I made it out of different linnen and wool layers with leather petrigues.

Hey Martin! Good to see you around, it's been a while. How are things in Sweden?

How many layers of linen and wool, what kind of thread did you use? I'm going to be making my first gambeson this month.

P.S. Check out our little test-cutting vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZzsPlopRg

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Martin,

Nice work! I've made a few gambesons and other "padded armour" over the years, and it's tedious and boring work.

One question; how are the layers held together? Is it a series of knots? Can you give specifics on how it's made? I'm always looking for the next project, and would love any information regarding construction of your subarmalis.

Thanks!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My new Subarmalis.         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Martin Wallgren wrote:

Hey Martin! Good to see you around, it's been a while. How are things in Sweden?

How many layers of linen and wool, what kind of thread did you use? I'm going to be making my first gambeson this month.

P.S. Check out our little test-cutting vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZzsPlopRg

Hello old friend! Everything is great here! How are you?

Too answer both of you. The sub. is made as a roman sleveless tunic but quite short. On the sholders there is a dubbling of the thickness as I think you can see in the photo. Basic padding is from the inside out wool (thin), wool (thick about 3 mm), linnen, wool (thick) ,linnen, wool (thick) and last the thin wool again. The doubling is an extra padding of two layers of the thick wool with a linnen layer between them.

The tread I used was a linnen tread but a few of the knots are with a dogshair thread I experimented with. was quite good acctually (from a longhaird german sheapard/bordercollie cross). The petrigues is leather and so are the trimming.

The padding is held together with knots going trough the whole sub. dubbelstich in every knot making a small X on the frontside. The knots are made in linnentread.

Take care Jeanry... nice to hear from you.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Subarmalis.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic