Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Guy! Need some pointers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Weydahl

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: New Guy! Need some pointers         Reply with quote

Hi ladies and gents Big Grin

As the title suggests, I'm new to the forum.
I've become very interested in medieval european martial arts, and especially the arts of the sword.

I'm now looking for a historical fencing group here in Oslo, Norway - and therefore I need a good waster to start practicing with.

So: does anyone know where to buy a good, reliable waister. Preferable with as authentic weight as possible.
I need a hand and a half-style waster to start with.

I need a store that can ship the stuff to Norway, without too much trouble.

I think its best if the dealer is within the EU, unless any of you other europeans have good experience with ordering from the US.

Does anyone have some good links and some good advice?

Strength & Honour!
M.W. Cool

Last edited by M. Weydahl on Mon 04 Dec, 2006 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy! Need some pointers         Reply with quote

Martin Weydahl wrote:
Hi ladies and gents Big Grin

As the title suggests, I'm new to the forum.
I've become very interested in medieval european martial arts, and especially the arts of the sword.

I'm now looking for a historical fencing group here in Oslo, Norway - and therefore I need a good waister to start practicing with.

So: does anyone know where to buy a good, reliable waister. Preferable with as authentic weight as possible.
I need a hand and a half-style waster to start with.

I need a store that can ship the stuff to Norway, without too much trouble.

I think its best if the dealer is within the EU, unless any of you other europeans have good experience with ordering from the US.

Does anyone have some good links and some good advice?

Strength & Honour!
M.W. Cool

OO! wow! You're going to be swimming in a doozy of info about this topic here Laughing Out Loud

I'd recommend Arms and Armor's Fechtbuch or Fechterspiel, depending on your desired weight and use of the blade. Or, you might want to have a look at albion's Lichtenauer?

(if you order from Albion Europe, you should have no trouble getting the Lichtenauer. Not sure how arms and armor is at shipping to europe)

Have fun, and don't hit people "too" hard Razz
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you want a waster or just training tools in general? If you're looking specifically for wasters, there are several good companies. I'm very pleased with my New Stirling Arms wasters, but they're located in California. I assume they will ship overseas.

I'd also recommend contacting someone with ARMA Sweden, as I'm sure they have a source for wasters. Contact info can be found here: http://www.thearma.org/Practice/partners.htm

If you're looking for training tools in general, I would have to say the Albion Liechtenauer is an excellent tool that I've had several opportunities to handle (won't own one until sometime next year though). I haven't handled the Arms & Armor fechterspiel, but I would expect them to be of excellent quality as their swords are. If you want a padded sparring tool, I've been pleased with my RSW European Bastard Sword, and plan to order more from Lance.

Hope that helps.
M. Weydahl

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tnx for the response so far Happy

Yes I am looking for training/sparring gear in general. But the first thing I need is a basic wooden waster of good quality.

I've read some articles on types of training swords, and i got the impression that padded swords did not handle very realistic. Any comments on this?

Tnx again Cool
Jonathan K

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin,

If you're at all handy with tools, the ARMA study group in Ogden, Utah, USA has instructions for making a basic wooden waster. Requires a bit of time on your part, but saves money for other kit you may need.

http://www.arma-ogden.org/content/view/7/30/
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathon! I've been looking for these guys.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin,
You asked about padded weapons. You are right that padded swords do not handle very realistically, but only steel really handles like steel. There are advantages and disadvantages to both padded swords and wasters. I am not familiar with any of the padded swords sold by retailers, only the ones that have been made by ARMA members. Padded swords give you the ability to fight at almost full speed, which is important in training, without getting hurt too much. We still use fencing masks and gloves, however. On the other hand, padded swords are too "fluffy" to simulate sword on sword which is where lots of winding and binding takes place with the longsword. Wasters are better at this but they still don't feel like real swords. The wood is rigid and doesn't have a certain "give" that steel blunts or real swords do. And waster require more control and discipline while sparring.

I reccomend using multiple training tools. Wasters are great for learing movements and drills. Padded wasters are for getting a feel for the pace of combat and learing control. Then you can move up to fighting with wasters. Finally, steel blunt on steel blunt is about as close as it gets. Steel blunts are also good for doing solo work or steel on steel drills. Of coarse, this all depends on what you have availible. It's important to stay safe but injuries do happen. Also, having a sharp to do test cutting is also important to get a feel for how much force is needed, how much force will yield how much cut, etc.

It's certainly possible to build your own waster as well as padded weapon. I also reccomend what Scott Hanson said: talk to the people at ARMA Sweden and see what they do.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I belive Schola Gladiatora has a chapter in Oslo at least they have one in Trondheim.

You could also contact Göteborgs Historiska Fäkt Skola (www.ghfs.se)! They are a bit like the spider in the centre of the web here in scandinavia right now!

Happy hunting!

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Ralph Rudolph

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin,

you'll find wooden wasters in the web at: www.woodenswords.com.
I use to train with an aluminium blunt longsword, which comes closer to real sword dynamics than a wooden sword.
However, it only makes sense if you training partner uses the same sword - wood or a blunt steel sword does not work. So, best is to find a fencing group or training partner first and match with what they use.

I have attached a picture of my aluminium blunt, a model which has no name and I aptly baptised it "svärd". They are produced by a private person in Bavaria in his sparetime at home (in fact those are so popular in Germany now, that this man might have no sparetime left Big Grin ) The price tag is € 145 plus transport. If you have found your group and are still interested, PM me and I can give you his name.
You can see those swords in action on the excellent training DVD of the Munich fencing group "Ochs". This video might also be a good starter for you. But keep in mind, fencing only works in duel, not alone ...
If you are able to click through a German website, you can order the DVD immediately at agilitas.tv for € 29,90.

Ralph
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There isa lot of good reading material on this site on wooden wasters. As I noted in a previous post, I own a few varieties that I have used hands on, including the wooden weapons, the Purple Heart, Hallow Earth and Raven Studios. I have to say, I am the most impressed with the Raven Studios. If you are looking for a sturdy, balanced practice tool, they might fit the bill. http://www.little-raven.com/

I would echo the steel blunts that have been mentioned here. An Albion would certainly be worth the wait. I currently practice with an Albion assembled Del Tin 5140, but will likely move to the Albion Liechtenauer.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sharp and pointy things... Cool

Mike

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Guy! Need some pointers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic