Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Clarification from Hank Reinhardt on the Dordgone Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Clarification from Hank Reinhardt on the Dordgone Sword         Reply with quote

Here is an email to me from Hank Reinhardt on some of the confusion and I think his explanation speaks for itself as does his reputation.

Clyde,
Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion regarding "this Drodgone sword". I may have caused an increase in the confusion. I failed to look at the pommel, and concentrated only on the guard. As you know, there were a number of swords that were found in the Dordgone River, and needless to say, they were not all found at the same time.

Ewart made many drawings and sketches over the years of swords that he examined, and during that time he sent me this drawing, and this is a drawing from an actual piece he was examining. I do not think that this sword was actually photographed or scetched by him for his book "Records of the Medieval Sword". Certainly, and I know for a fact, the book does not contain all of the swords that Ewart examined, handled, and or owned over all of the years.

There are many swords that are similar to this one and that should not be a surprise to anyone, but if one looks carefully at Ewart's drawing you can easily see how closely the manufacturing of this sword followed his drawing. I do remember in the initial discussion of this sword with Ewart, he was very adamant that the weight should be close to three pounds, which is what I tried to adhere to, and I am very happy that the new completed sword is right on in both weight and the dimensions of the sword that Ewart examined and made the drawing of in April of 1990.
I hope this clears the matter up.
Best, Hank

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Clyde
Imperial Weapons.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Clarification from Hank Reinhardt on the Dordgone Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic