Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's Oakeshott Typology article. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Albion's Oakeshott Typology article.         Reply with quote

If this has been posted already I apologize. Just wanted to point out Albion's summary of the Oakeshott Typology with additional info from Peter's research. This looks like it will be a great resource, not only for people who have don't have direct access to Oakeshott's books, but also as a supplement (average weight etc.) for those of us who do. Thanks Peter and Albion.
http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Albion's Oakeshott Typology article.         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
If this has been posted already I apologize. Just wanted to point out Albion's summary of the Oakeshott Typology with additional info from Peter's research. This looks like it will be a great resource, not only for people who have don't have direct access to Oakeshott's books, but also as a supplement (average weight etc.) for those of us who do. Thanks Peter and Albion.
http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

Dan,
Have you seen our article on Ewart Oakeshott? It's much more comprehensive and includes the pommel and guard typologies. Albion's article is great, but there are other sources out there, too, including on this site. Happy

The average weight info seems to be blank for every type on Albion's version. I suspect it'd be hard to get to measure a large enough cross-section of examples to find an average.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry if I placed this it in the wrong forum, I figured an article about one of the most important sytems for understanding historical arms belonged in the Historical Arms talk. However, I guess I can see where it might better fit here. Woops, Happy
Yes, the Oakeshott articles here on myArmoury are great. However, it looks like Albion's article is a work in progress and that it will feature data from Peter's hands-on research. Thus, I hope that the missing data such as average weights will be filled in later.

Last edited by Dan Dickinson on Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Sorry if I placed this it in the wrong forum, I figured an article about one of the most important sytems for understanding historical arms belonged in the Historical Arms talk. Woops, Happy
Yes the articles of Oakeshott's individual types here on myArmoury are great, however, it looks like Albion's article is a work in progress and that it will feature data from Peter's hands-on research. Thus, I hope that the missing data such as average weights will be filled in later.

Dan,
In addition to the individual spotlights, there is a massive article on Oakeshott that summarizes the typologies all in one place. Please check it out: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html

Albion's article may be a work in progress, but looks basically unchanged from a year ago or so when I last looked at it.

The Off-topic forum is the appropriate forum since you're simply pointing out a link to an article, not discussing historical weapons or typologies specifically.

Happy

ChadA

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Chad, was in the process of editing my last post. Also, I took another look at the Ewart Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy article. I guess there's been a lot more added since I last took a look at it ,so it's even better than I remembered.
Thanks,
Dan
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree the myArmoury piece is more thorough, but i for one am glad to see any new efforts to clarify or expand Oakeshotts typology. Something like either 'average' or specific (by individual case) weights would be a very welcome addition since Mr Oakeshott himself often neglected this information at least in the copies of his books that I own.

jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Sorry Chad, was in the process of editing my last post. Also, I took another look at the Ewart Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy article. I guess there's been a lot more added since I last took a look at it ,so it's even better than I remembered.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan,
Nothing of any substance (if anything at all) has been added since it was published. Happy Regardless, we're all pretty proud of that piece.

Happy

ChadA

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm...I was pretty sure that when I first saw it, that article only had the first part and I figured that you had published the others later. Perhaps though they were all there and I need to get my eyes checked more than I thought. Worried Either way, thanks to all of you who contributed to that article.
Also, I agree with the sentiment that weights and measurements for actual swords would be much appreciated for later medieval swords, Something like a Swords of the Viking Age for the high middle ages. That's what I was hoping for in the Albion article. Obviously weights and balance points don't help you fully understand the subtleties of handling, but they certainly help.
So if someone with hands on experience wants to add such things to either article, it would be much appreciated! Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's Oakeshott Typology article.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic