Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Nov 13: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
85%
 85%  [ 57 ]
Very Good
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Good
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 67

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Nov 13: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

The Sword Typology of
Alfred Geibig
An article by Christopher L. Miller

Viking Shield Model II Shield

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Western Martial Arts Workshop 2006

A report by Bill Grandy

Viking Shield Giveaway

A new contest!

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted this update a bit early because I'm eager to get the new contest started.

Enjoy!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With this week's (slightly early) update, we welcome aboard another new author (and published author #43): Christopher L. Miller. Happy

This is a hugely important work for this site, and a heck of a project to tackle for a first myArmoury submission. Kudos to Christopher!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow!

CAn't wait to see who wins that shield! a very beautiful piece of work. Is it ambidextrous as well? (sorry if thats already mentioned, I'm not a vorascious reader at the moment Laughing Out Loud )

another great update from the staff at myArmoury!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Western Martial Arts Workshop, 2006- looks that you had lots of fun guys Wink Thats a pity It is impossible for me to be on one of your meetings...who had put that damn Atlantic between Europe and America !!! Evil
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found Mr Miller's article on Geibig's typology excellent. I've never got beyond the partial blade information in Pierce's book.
Thanks to the author and everyone else involved.
Geoff
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found the typology article especially excellent as I have been trying to struggle through Geibig's book myself. Kudos!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Geibig article is excellent!!! Thanks to Christopher L Miller for posting it! This book is one I don't have, but I intend to change that after reading this article!

Edit: I shouldn't post before I've read all the articles! The WMA article is awesome too! Thanks Bill.

-Tim
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite updates yet. Althouh there is an overall Viking theme, I think that this update's scope speaks to the diverse interests and goals of myArmoury members. The typology article is great for me because I would probably never purchase the Geibig book, but the article gives me a window into another realm of swords, thus broadening my understanding. I always enjoy the reviews, and I have been looking forward to seeing a WMAW 2006 review. Everyone should be congratulated on their efforts!

Thank you,
Jonathan
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, great article about the Geibig typology and information I was only indirectly aware of since I have heard of this typology before in the context of the Oakeshott typology but knew very little about the Geibig typology.

Now I have a good resource here to get a good overview of this typology. Big Grin Cool

Congratulations to Christopher Cool

Now I have to get back to the article and read it attentively. ( A quick look was enough to realize how valuable this article will be to read and re-read and to me is mostly NEW information. )

The shield article is also interesting and I would recommend buying SPADA I and SPADA II for the shield use articles that go into more detail. ( Other good articles also make these worth getting. )

Also like the WMA article. Cool

Nice variety of subjects: Some history ( sword typology ), product review and training workshop article. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments! The Geibig article was a lot of fun to put together. Spending all of that time transcribing statistics and characteristics from Geibig's work only served to increase my appreciation for both his typology and for the work itself; it's a great shame that no proper English language translation exists. Even so, I believe that this is a book with a lot to offer, even to a sword enthusiast with no knowledge of the German language whatsoever. For those put off (rather understandably) by the hefty price tag, inter-library loan is an excellent option.
It needs to be said that a great deal of the praise for this article should be directed towards Nathan, who not only arranged an excellent lay-out for the piece, but also created all of the drawings after Geibig's own illustrations. A fine job indeed!
I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to contribute to a wonderful community, thank you Nathan!
Great job on both the report and the review, Bill!
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

That article about the Geibig typology was interesting and informative. It helped fill in a gap in the current reasonably-obtainable resources. I would love to see a comparison between Geibig's typology and Oakeshotts! What would some of those example be classed as under Oakeshott's typology?

Good job, Christopher!

And, Nathan, great job on the pictures and layout!

Never stop learning!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent work on the Geibig typology.
Standing ovation!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Typology comparison         Reply with quote

Here is Geibig's representation of how the typologoies intermingle

Source: Entwicklung des Schwertes im Mittelalter, by Alfred Geibig

Attachment: 62.75 KB
Geibigchart.jpg

Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: WMAW report         Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Bill's WMAW report. For me, it was a chance to relive a wonderful weekend. This was my first WMAW and the most self-indulgent thing I have ever done in my life. I completely abandoned my family for those few days so that I could spend time living, breathing and talking swords. (Notice that I did not say "sleeping." There was no time for that.) Happy

The classes were great. I learned something new in each one. But it was the camaraderie of the WMA community that meant the most to me. My most treasured memories of the weekend are the new friendships formed and the strengthening of current friendships. I'm making plans for next year. Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading about the WMAW. It sounds like Bill and Pamela had a worthwhile experience there.

A big HUZZAH to Christopher Miller for making the Geibig typology accessible to those of us who are German-challenged.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Nov 13: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic