Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions for XMas Presents Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Questions for XMas Presents         Reply with quote

Hey Folks-

I'm working on a couple of present ideas for my favorite lady :-) and I thought I'd consult the group wisdom on 2 topics that have come up:

1.) What is the best way to polish copper to a mirror-like finish? I'm working on a handmade copper mirror and I'd like for it to really shine. The best I've got so far is a moderately clear reflection using Brass-O. It's not bad but I think I can probably get more shine with the right technique. Also, once I have the shine, what is the best way to keep it clean/maintain it?

2.) Has anyone out there ever made a bodice dagger or know of any designs I could look at for reference (I don't copy other people's work but I'm always in the market for inspiration)? I'm not even sure bodice daggers are all that historically accurate but she mentioned it would be nice to have one a while back...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate any thoughts/insights.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions for XMas Presents         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:

1.) What is the best way to polish copper to a mirror-like finish? I'm working on a handmade copper mirror and I'd like for it to really shine. The best I've got so far is a moderately clear reflection using Brass-O. It's not bad but I think I can probably get more shine with the right technique. Also, once I have the shine, what is the best way to keep it clean/maintain it?

The best way would be to mechanically buff it on a cloth wheel. If you don't have access to machine tools then metal polish such as autosol (if you can get that in the US) is the next best thing.

The problem is that copper oxidises readily and will tarnish extremely quickly if not laquered. I have no idea what the best thing to laquer it with is though, sorry.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a bodice dagger from Museum Replicas thats fairly interesting. I hope it helps in your design!

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...agger.aspx
Jonathan S

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something I have used to shine up metals of sorts is something called nevr-dull.. The stuff works incredibly well and makes them shine nicely. You would need to use a couple layers and a lot of endurance to keep wiping it all off. But the stuff works nicely.
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan S wrote:
Something I have used to shine up metals of sorts is something called nevr-dull.. The stuff works incredibly well and makes them shine nicely. You would need to use a couple layers and a lot of endurance to keep wiping it all off. But the stuff works nicely.

I second that. I use never-dull on all of my blades and other metal things. this stuff is amazing and it really cheap. it comes in a sort of cotton mesh coated in oil. just tear off a piece and start buffing. Its really good for removing tarnish and rust too.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm...sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bodice dagger's handle will be made of white birch, with copper accents and I intend to blacken the blade.

Can anyone recommend a blackening treatment that will give me a deep black finish, be scratch resistant, and food safe? (In case my lady needs to defend her virtue against a dangerous potato)

Thanks!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions for XMas Presents
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic