Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Darkwood Armory and AT team up for a project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Darkwood Armory and AT team up for a project         Reply with quote

We're not talking new technology here....... no not really.

After all, Greg Mele and others have sent me illustrations, specs and photos of both antiques and modern longsword trainers made this way.... the longsword trainers dating from the Renaissance {I believe}, and the modern pieces made by custom makers in Europe. I know of one here in the US......

The first blades are in heat treat, and hopefully will be available for photos all assembled before Thanksgiving. No, these aren't based on those fabulous trainers that Arms and Armor has....

No, these pieces are similar width to the swords they are simulating, but the edges are thicker than the spine or "bevels". The beveis are "deeply hollowground"......

The edges will be nearly 1/4 inch thick at the base, and still nearly .15 inch thick at the tip {just a hair under 4mm}. Yet the weight will be close to historical weights.....

Though the blades of these will be harder than most current trainers, they still should be "compatible" with trainers currently in use. The thicker edge, and radiused corners should leave less marks in opposing trainers.

These won't be for everyone..... aesthetically they won't look as good as the sharp swords they simulate. But they'll balance and handle like sharps....... and they'll be extremely durable......

There's nothing new under the sun here, these are based of historical trainers. No new tech, except maybe using CNC tech to manufacture the blades.....

Darkwood Armory will be doing all customer service and retailing.......

swords are fun

Last edited by Angus Trim on Sun 29 Oct, 2006 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Happy Big Grin (applause) Cool Cool

Will these be similar to the ATrim practice swords, SB1450-52?
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Eek! Happy Big Grin (applause) Cool Cool

Will these be similar to the ATrim practice swords, SB1450-52?

Nope...........

Harmonic balance and dynamic balance yes, but other than that no.........

swords are fun
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very excited to hear this, Gus. Especially with Scott's hiltwork, these have the potential to cover cross-hilted trainers in addition to complex hilted ones. I wonder if I can con one of my students into buying one so I can play with it. Happy (I just blew my spare money at WMAW for one of Craig's new prototypes...)
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I'm very excited to hear this, Gus. Especially with Scott's hiltwork, these have the potential to cover cross-hilted trainers in addition to complex hilted ones. I wonder if I can con one of my students into buying one so I can play with it. Happy (I just blew my spare money at WMAW for one of Craig's new prototypes...)

Hi Bill

I think the price of these are going to be "very competitive". Its up to Scott, of course, but I think they'll surprise some folks.....

Yeah, thick edge, but reasonable weight, should make for decent longsword trainers, backsword , and I.33........

swords are fun
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What incredible timing! I am in the midst of raising funds in order to purchase an English basket hilt from Darkwood. I have been collecting antique swords for a long time, but this will be my first foray into functional modern replicas. Do you have any idea as to the length of the backsword blade? I am looking for something with which I can practice Silver.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know the trainers aren't completed yet, but can you share photos of the historical swords that inspire them?
Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
Do you have any idea as to the length of the backsword blade? I am looking for something with which I can practice Silver.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I want to caution you that the blade will not look like an antique. It'll handle like one, but with the deep hollow grind and thick edges it will have, shall we say {?}, an ahistorical appearance.....

However, right now the plan for the "backsword" blade, is to have 33, 35, and 37 inch blade lengths. After conferring with Scott, that may change..... after all, there's not much limit to what the CNC can do....... Might cost extra though for a none "stock" blade length......

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I know the trainers aren't completed yet, but can you share photos of the historical swords that inspire them?
Cheers!

Not yet........

Since the photos aren't "mine", I'm not sure how much I can share,though I'll check into it...... And I'll share what I can at the same time I have photos of the trainers to share......

swords are fun
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus,
Thanks for the info--I didn't expect them to look like antiques! I am very excited about this announcement!

Jonathan

EDIT: I just thought of one more thing--do you know if the unconventional blade design will fit with Scott's standard hilt options, allowing for either a standard Darkwood blade or the new blades you will be making?
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds interesting and I look forwarding to seeing the finished product. Its nice to see more training sword options come to market from more of the major vendors. Choice is always a nice thing.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great news Gus, I can't wait to see the I.33 trainers... Wink
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:

EDIT: I just thought of one more thing--do you know if the unconventional blade design will fit with Scott's standard hilt options, allowing for either a standard Darkwood blade or the new blades you will be making?

Ohh yeah..... the blades will work with Scott's standard hilts....... that was part of the design headache, making them so the existing hilt pieces would work......

swords are fun
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
J.G. Hopkins wrote:

Ohh yeah..... the blades will work with Scott's standard hilts....... that was part of the design headache, making them so the existing hilt pieces would work......

Oh, Joy!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Darkwood Armory and AT team up for a project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic