Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nifty prickler Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Nifty prickler         Reply with quote

I am doubtfull about the historic value of the salesrap, or more accurately do not even doubt it, but the thing itself looks rather handy to use from horseback as a multi-purpose backup for the mace.

Peter
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL, is it? (EDIT: This one, right?)

I think it might be loosely based on a sword featured on page 42 of Swords & Hilt Weapons, or a very similar weapon: as the caption says, "Venetian broadsword with knucklebow and finger ring, made in about 1450. Many similar fine fighting swords are preserved in the armoury of the Council of Ten in the Doge's Palace, Venice."

The original is all steel and wood, with no brass on the grip; on this one it looks a bit tacky and out-of-place to me, as usual...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword is briefly discussed in another topic already.

Here are two examples of the type of sword that inspires it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Nathan.

I like the businesslike practical thinking behind the design. You can even punch with the pommel! an d I guess the thorn was thought of to stop blows with a scimitar-shamshir sliding over the blade.
It came to my attention as there finally is a distibutor in Spain who offers Pavel Mok, HanWei and Museum Reps.

For me it is academical anyway as over here it officially is strictly prohibited to even carry around a thing like this on my own land although the cousin of the falcion is still very much an everyday tool. You would not want to know what sort of lethal instruments are part of a small holdings traditional daily farm life. It ranges from axes, picks&hammers, via sickles & knives to full blooded pole-arms (to trim high tree branches). Not in use today but still part of living memory is the vlegel a short stick attached to a long stick with a piece of chain that was used to beat granes. Sort of longe range kabudos.

Peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nifty prickler
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic