Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First sword and first post. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robin Ericsson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: First sword and first post.         Reply with quote

My first sword and my first post.

I've been lurking around at this forum for quite some time now, ever since I started taking interest in pre-modern arms. And now when I've received my very first sword I guess I've got a topic worth posting.
After some serious thinking, browsing, googling, lurking, reading and viewing I finally after many months realised - "I need a sword". And the sword I decided for after much thought was Albions "Berserkr". The looks of it just struck me. 'Fierce' would be the word I'd choose to describe it if I'm only allowed to use one. That was true before seeing and holding it for real, now I'd use the same word but in capital letters.

However I'll try using more than one word to describe the 'real thing'. The first thing that really surprised me was the size. It feels and looks much bigger than the impression I got from looking at photographs of it. Truly, photographs renders a pale reflection of this sword.
The second thing to surprise me was the weight. 1.2kg (2lbs) doesn't look like much in numbers but in reality it obviously transfers into some very effective weight in swords. It makes the sword seem to beg for a big falling swing. And after granting it a few while listening to the soothing whining noise the air makes when cleaved, my inexperience becomes painfully obvious. The lower end of my hand is sore due to the narrow grip and my shoulder begs for mercy. With that said I'm lifting heavy weights 4 times a week. Which makes me believe a guy on a different board who claimed to often swing swords of 10-15lbs was full of it.
In contraction to it's simple looks it's 'feel' is anything but simple. On some historic battlefield, would I run into someone carrying this and looks like he knows how to use it, I would go run into someone else. I can almost feel the steel hacking into my bones when looking at it. As I said, 'fierce' with capital letters.

As for balance I don't know if I can give a correct observation due to me not having anything to compare with. But my description would be; it seems light as a feather commencing the swing but heavy as an axe when being brought into the swing. Not suddenly though so it becomes unstable, rather it feels like the weight transfers from my arm out to the sword in harmony with the swing making the point of impact very terrifying indeed. In short, I start out with speed and along the way the weight is added to the formula.

When holding the sword horisontally and looking down the blade there's a slight 'bending'. This surprised me as the sword itself makes a very stiff impression.

When all is considered, I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. It's all that I expected plus a little more.

I would like some general hints on swings and grip with this kind of sword though. I remember scrolling through a thread dedicated to how one is intended to grip a viking sword but I don't seem to find it again.
Also if there's any additional basic hints about general care of swords please feel free to share.
And lastly I'm planning a shield and maybe a helm purchase. So if you could pinpoint me to dealers selling this kind of quality stuff I would be grateful.

Attachment: 116.15 KB
berserkrmod.jpg
A beauty, isn't it?
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all nice blade, and welcome to the forum!

When you swing the sword have you tried "slipping the pommel?" I have an Albion Gotland, and not only does this make downwards cuts even scarier for whatever is on the receiving end, but it saves my wrist a lot of stress.

Basically slipping the pommel is letting it slide past the base of your hand instead of being stopped by your wrist as the sword extends along the same line as your arm. For this to work you need to grip the sword almost as if your were going to shake someone's hand.

I asked about this same thing when I first received my Gotland, and while I'm by no means an expert it seems to work very well.

Also swinging viking swords is a lot of work compared to some other kinds of blades since they are wicked cutters, and have a lot of blade presence. I have an Atrim longsword for instance that I can actually swing more easily with one hand than my Gotland even though the Atrim is a good foot longer at least.

One last thing about slipping the pommel. Make sure you oil, or wax the steel of the pommel to protect against rust because this technique insures it has a lot of contact with your hand.

"The truth shall make ye fret."
Allen G.

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello & welcome, Robin,

The Berserkr is a beautiful and unique blade, I know what you mean about the perfect balance of weight so that the sword can flick around quickly but at the same time have enough tip weight to let gravity do its job on a chop.

For shields/helmets I'm sure you've already seen Albions viking age offerings, Armor.com offers a viking era helmet. A basic sword care tip? hmm basically keep it oiled with high quality sword/gun oil and dont keep it sheathed for too long, but you probably already know that too.

But the main reason i replied to you, did you mean this thread?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...king+sword
Robin Ericsson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Padgett wrote:
When you swing the sword have you tried "slipping the pommel?" I have an Albion Gotland, and not only does this make downwards cuts even scarier for whatever is on the receiving end, but it saves my wrist a lot of stress.

Basically slipping the pommel is letting it slide past the base of your hand instead of being stopped by your wrist as the sword extends along the same line as your arm. For this to work you need to grip the sword almost as if your were going to shake someone's hand.

I've been trying different grips all night now and in contrast to what one might think as an outsider it seems there is a multitude of possible grips. I for one didn't think so before today. The first initial grip I used, the firm hammer-like grip, was not very comfortable. The pommel seemed to dig into my wrist whatever I did. Even the crossguard proved to cause some stress to my index finger. But after reading through the thread I mentioned (which I found just after posting) I realised there's much more to it.
Actually I found two additional much more comfortable ways to grip the sword. One in where I grip the sword in a kind of semi-handshake manner in where pretty much only the fingers are between the crossguard and pommel, letting the pommel slide unhindered. This also proved to grant some support to my wrist and the overall control of horizontal swings. This, I think, is what you describes.
The 2nd grip is the one described by Peter Johnsson in the thread mentioned. At first I didn't understand it until I saw the photo provided further down in the thread. It's simply resembles a handshake more than the grip described above. I place my pinky and ring finger on the pommel bringing the pommel into the actual grip. Both grips makes sense and I'm gonna have a lot of fun trying to differ the characteristics of the two.

J. Padgett wrote:
Also swinging viking swords is a lot of work...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my right arm is gonna ache like hell tomorrow Wink

J. Padgett wrote:
One last thing about slipping the pommel. Make sure you oil, or wax the steel of the pommel to protect against rust because this technique insures it has a lot of contact with your hand.

Thanks for the note. But how often is this necessary? I mean should I apply some oil directly after usage or is it ok to skip it if it's likely I'll use the sword again within the next few days?

And thanks Allen for the welcome. Thanks also for the dealer tip and for digging up the thread for me. It's on page one btw, I must be going blind Worried
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Ericsson wrote:

Thanks for the note. But how often is this necessary? I mean should I apply some oil directly after usage or is it ok to skip it if it's likely I'll use the sword again within the next few days?

Why not just be safe and apply it right after usage? It depends on what the environmental conditions are, but if you care about your sword, I'd just be safe and oil it every time I use it.

Congratulations on your acquisition of an awesome sword!
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I found in training students were that no matter how muscular they were, almost all of them have problems swinging a sword at first. So I realized that the muscles used in bringing a sword in motion properly weren't trained much in other form of popular exercises. The best exercise to practice those particular muscles was to swing the sword.
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Ericsson wrote:
J. Padgett wrote:

And thanks Allen for the welcome. Thanks also for the dealer tip and for digging up the thread for me. It's on page one btw, I must be going blind Worried

Depends on how pretty you want to keep things. Unless you manage to physically damage it, the sword will probably last much longer in this world than you will. They pretty generally don't rust away, oxidation stablizes and eventually forms a protective layer. On the other hand swords do get used up and worn out like any other tool.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First sword and first post.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic