Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Could a 1600's or 1700's sword blade be "recycled" over time Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Could a 1600's or 1700's sword blade be "recycled"         Reply with quote

Is there any history or documentation of sword blades being remanufactured over time?
I have been trying to I D my sword and have had varied comments and suggestions.
One of which is that the blade was a 1700's spanish blade that was later decorated in a mexican theme.

The fullers are more like the swords I have seen from pre 1600's swords, does any one have photos of similar blades with fullers like these they can post?

Could the blade dimensions be changed without compormising the strength?

Could the blade be decorated a hundred years after it was made?

How did they decorate the blades?

The hilt seems to be newer than the blade but does not match anything I have found...especially the pommel,any thoughts on the hilt?

The over all length is 40" the hilt 5" the blade from the guard 35" the fullers are 8.5"

Thanks
Matt

Attachment: 55.05 KB
118_1887.JPG

Attachment: 64.72 KB
118_1892.JPG

Attachment: 71 KB
118_1890.JPG

Attachment: 49.55 KB
118_1888.JPG

Attachment: 49.59 KB
118_1883.JPG

Attachment: 40.92 KB
118_1898.JPG

What did Yoda say?

DO or DO NOT there is no try.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

It is hard to say the fullers look more like one period than another. It is very easy to say it looks like an 18th century Spanish flavor blade that was rehilted. A blade could certainly be etched or engraved at just about any time.

Every time you start a new thread in a given room, you are kind of defeating your own purpose. I'm not saying curiousity is a bad trait, it's just that these are not chat rooms and folk are not pursuing this 24/7. You may well yet have responses from folk that have not seen your current threads, or had a chance to get back to you.

About the only thing that has changed is that you have related your ancestor's possible involvement in the Mexican war as an origin, instead of the sword having come to the U.S.A. from the UK. I would pursue your family history a great deal more and try to nail down some more information on their military service.

As some cutlery efforts are entirely unique to the cutler, you may well never find an exact match and have all the ducks in a row. I have some antiques myself that boil down to best guesses and general timelines. Although exact data would be wonerful, I can place most of them pretty well in time and that is good enough for me (for now).

A case in point is a lance head that was re-hilted as a dagger, with carved bone and gold work. The source I bought it from speculated possibly Japanese. Six years later and I have pretty much determined none of the effort is Japanese, even though there are similarities.
It was on my table at a show last month and I had some interesting conversations with a couple of folk from the Phillipines, one insisting that it was tribal work and then a true descendant of native origin saying "No, done there by Moors, not natives." I'll likely never know for sure but it is a great conversation starter.

So anyway, my real hope is that you can better assess the family history of the sword a bit better. Whether your ancestor acquired the sword during campaign would be a good find. Give the folk in the Spanish forum of SFI a chance to mull it over and get back to you. Most are trying to at least give you a best guess. You have to understand though how unrealistic it is to expect absolutes at this point.

Cheers

GC
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good points, Glen. I have some swords about which I am glad to know the little bit I do know. E.B. Erickson could be quite right about that blade being earlier (18th century). Fullers never really went out of fashion, however, so it is hard to say for certain. I recommend searching www.oldswords.com to see what you can find in the way of 19th century tri-fullered blades. If you want to learn about the etching process, I suggest searching the Antique and Military subforum on SFI, as I am sure that topic has been covered before. (But it might warrant a new one here on myArmoury.)

I am not sure how this could be accomplished, but it would be nice if all the threads about this sword could be merged into one. This would make it easier for those who are trying to help and/or learn about your sword, because all the info gleaned thus far would be in one place. It would probably be helpful to you, too, Matt. (You have received some good responses on the Spanish Language subforum on SFI, I think.)
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Matt,
Every time you start a new thread in a given room, you are kind of defeating your own purpose. I'm not saying curiousity is a bad trait, it's just that these are not chat rooms and folk are not pursuing this 24/7. You may well yet have responses from folk that have not seen your current threads, or had a chance to get back to you.

Thanks for you're comment Glen.
I am pursuing all the leads I come across, I'm also trying to get the photos in front of as many eyes as I can incase someone might not see them on a particular thread.
I have posted on a few geneology forums but not found a military history that would put any of my ancestors in the Mexican/American war. I have tried to follow more on the decorations on the blade. I have looked at 100's of Mexican Eagles in an effort to find one that is similar. As I have posted, the one on the Disturnell Treaty Map of 1865 has the wings upstretched with the wing tips pointing up like the ones on my sword. This seems significant because every other Mexican Eagle I found has the wing tips pointing down, thats on all the currency, stamps and documents I have found.
I have my GGG Grandfathers military service recorded in a Dept of Agriculture Report from 1867, it only says that he was married about the time of the Mexican war but does list where and when he lived and the other units he served in.
I am also pursuing the type of fullers and size and shape of the blade to see if this could bee from a different part of the world.
I've been doing searches in the data base here and at S F I and still don't see a German or any other sword close to the size and shape of my sword blade or the hilt and pommel the way the bars end at the pommel and the shape of it isn't like what I have found.
It is not my intent to bother anyone I'm just trying to figure this out, if I can't get a firm I D so be it.I
Thanks
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It bears a very good resemblance to the profile of a typical schiavona blade.
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

Thanks Bruno, they do appear similar but those examples don't appear to have a (ferrel?) the part of the blade next to the tang that is not sharpened.
Thanks for the link, it's very helpful
Matt.

What did Yoda say?

Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
Good points, Glen. I have some swords about which I am glad to know the little bit I do know. E.B. Erickson could be quite right about that blade being earlier (18th century). Fullers never really went out of fashion, however, so it is hard to say for certain. I recommend searching www.oldswords.com to see what you can find in the way of 19th century tri-fullered blades. If you want to learn about the etching process, I suggest searching the Antique and Military subforum on SFI, as I am sure that topic has been covered before. (But it might warrant a new one here on myArmoury.)

I am not sure how this could be accomplished, but it would be nice if all the threads about this sword could be merged into one. This would make it easier for those who are trying to help and/or learn about your sword, because all the info gleaned thus far would be in one place. It would probably be helpful to you, too, Matt. (You have received some good responses on the Spanish Language subforum on SFI, I think.)

Thanks J. G.
I'm pretty new to this and am learning the net as I learn swords. I'm just an old carpenter. I will try to link the S F I spanish language site here. The reason I have started new threads is that the old ones became inactive and when I find new info I don't know if people return to see new posts. I'm not sure how it all works.
Thanks
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Branch wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Thanks Bruno, they do appear similar but those examples don't appear to have a (ferrel?) the part of the blade next to the tang that is not sharpened.
Thanks for the link, it's very helpful
Matt.

Ricasso, yes, there is similarity but not identity.

For the rest it strongly reminds me of an original blade I examined.

Yours must be behaving very nimbly.
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it certainly does look nimble,

whatever it is, its a beautiful blade, much better looking (in my opinion) then the blades usually atttached to such cavalry sabre hilts, but then, i am a fan of straight, slender blades

cheers, adam
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I hope I didn't sound like a school marm, not my intention. Keeping all the data in one place does help others from having to ask all the same questions again.

Not a ferrule but a ricasso is what you are seeing of your blade. A ferrule is a grip component.

I'm linking this page here as well because it was where I drew my first impressions in response to your first post at SFI. This is the page of Spanish cavalry swords. Might as well give newcomers to the topic more information.

http://bermudas.ls.fi.upm.es/~pedro/tropacab3_e.htm

Even some of the 19th century line cavalry blades could be said to bear resemblence but the look is very much that of the 18th century blades.

One other less travelled forum you might try is over at www.vikingsword.com Several from everywhere make the rounds to all these boards but you never know who might not have had a gander at it yet.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Sun 15 Oct, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Other Threads         Reply with quote

Here are the other threads I have looking for info on my sword. Hope this works!

The Spanish Language S F I Thread

http:/forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&thread72173[url]

This one shows a Espada de Barinas that has 3 fullers

http:forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&thread72783[url]

What did Yoda say?

Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Glen A Cleeton"]Hi MAtt,

I hope I didn't sound like a school marm, not my intention. Keeping all the data in one place does help others from having to ask all the same questions again.

Not a ferrule but a ricasso is what you are seeing of your blade. A ferrule is a grip component.

I'm linking this page here as well because it was where I drew my first impressions in response to your first post at SFI. This is the page of Spanish cavalry swords. Might as well give newcomers to the topic more information.

http://bermudas.ls.fi.upm.es/~pedro/tropacab3_e.htm

Even some of the 19th century line cavalry blades could be said to bear resemblence but the look is very much that of the 18th century blades.

One other less travelled forum you might try is over at www.vikingswords.com Several from everywhere make the rounds to all these boards but you never know who might not have had a gander at it yet.

Thanks for the links Glen.
The ones I tried to put up didn't work and I even read the instructions.
Lets have fun out there
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt,
I didn't mean to sound scolding either--sorry if I did. Good luck in your quest.

Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my error

www.vikingsword.com

An extra sssss always messes thing up. You got to that post before I editeded it.

Cheers

GC
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
Matt,
I didn't mean to sound scolding either--sorry if I did. Good luck in your quest.

No problem Jonathan,
I have been accused of being tenacious and have beaten many a dead horse into dust.
I would like to link the diffrent threads togeather but my attempt failed.
I'm hell on wheels with power tools but very bad with key boards and computers.
I invite all comments, if you don't push the boundary you never learn where it is.
Thanks
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is certainly plenty of evidence of older blades being mounted on more "modern" hilts. A good example is the sword of Captain Philip Broke, RN (Captain of HMS Shannon, which defeated USS Cheasapeak off Boston in 1813), as shown in "Boarders Away" by Wilkerson. It was a highland broadsword blade from the early 18th Century, rehilted to fit the taste and fashion of the early 19th Century, and supposedly was a family heirloom which Broke wished to carry into battle himself. And he did.

There are numerous other examples out there, and Colonial America, especially Spanish Colonial America, was notorious for using and reusing serviceable pieces from older weapons, be they swords, firearms or whatever. There just wasn't enough iron available to manufacture a lot of this sort of thing, coupled with the strict Spanish merchantile laws, to not do so.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt, please preview your posts before you send them. You're not using the codes very well and they're coming off formatted badly, especially the quoted text. I've corrected many of them for you, but I'm done doing that because it's too much work. Your tags all need an opening tag and a closing tag. Please look at our BBCODE FAQ for help.

Additionally, after reading this topic and the several others you've posted here and on other sites about your sword, I'd like to make a comment that your methodology surrounding your quest for info on your sword seems misguided to me. It seems that you already have a few ideas of what you want this sword to be and you're trying to find evidence for it to fit within those preconceived notions. Many of the things that have been told to you have been disregarded. Further, you're looking at specifics attributes of your sword and trying to apply them to antique examples in an attempt to justify calling your sword such a thing. The fact is that later swords borrow characteristics from older swords, despite having absolutely no direct connection to them.

A triple-fullered 1780 schiavona, for example, has nothing to do with a triple-fullered Oakeshott Ttype XIV sword from centuries early, despite the fact that they share the common traits of having three fullers, a grip, a cross-guard, and a blade. What you need to do is find your sword documented and stop looking at each trait independently and attempting to connect the dots. You could play that game forever and it would lead to 100s of candidates for your sword. In the end, you'd be no closer to your answer than you are now.

You've been given many suggestions as to the era of your sword. I now respectfully suggest you invest in books or a professional appraising service to find your answers.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Other Threads         Reply with quote

Matt Branch wrote:
Here are the other threads I have looking for info on my sword. Hope this works!

The Spanish Language S F I Thread

http:/forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&thread72173[url]

This one shows a Espada de Barinas that has 3 fullers

http:forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&thread72783[url]
[u]
What did Yoda say?

Matt Branch

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Sorry         Reply with quote

I am new to computers as well as swords, didn't mean to make work for you, sorry.
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Matt Branch

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: M1769 Spanish Trooper Pattern         Reply with quote

Jim McDougall has identified my sword as an M1769 Spanish Trooper Pattern.
I will look for others of that pattern.
Again, Nathan sorry for the problem.
Thanks
Matt

What did Yoda say?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Could a 1600's or 1700's sword blade be "recycled" over time
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic