Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Campilan, Kampilan. A Malayan sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Campilan, Kampilan. A Malayan sword         Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/11/2004 10:30:10 AM Central America Standard Time, daniel.bredeson@LACKLAND.AF.MIL writes:

From what I've been able to research on the internet, it appears to be a kampilan
sword from Mindanao Island in the Philippines. It belongs to probably the Maranao tribe, a Muslim Filipino tribe in the northwestern part of that island.

Dear Daniel,

Stone, George Cameron. A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in all Countries and in all Times: Together with some Related Subjects. Jack Brussel, Publisher. New York, NY. 1931. Reprinted 1961. Pages 159-161.

Campilan, Kampilan. A Malayan sword, apparantly originally the national weapon of the Sea Dyaks http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/society/A0816494.html or
http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/indonesi.html
of Borneo, which has been adopted by the Moros of Sulu and Mindinao. It has a curved hilt, usually of wood, with a forked pommel and guard of the same material as the hilt, with wire staples projecting from it on one or both sides. It is usually decorated with tufts of hair dyed either red or black. It has a long, straight single-edged blade much wider at the point than at the hilt, frequently with a scroll shaped projection from the back near the point. The usual scabbard is made of two pieces of wood shaped like the blade and only held together by a fastening at the lower and another a short distance above it. These allow for the two parts of the scabbard to spring apart sufficiently to admit the blade, the lower end of which is much wider than the upper end of the scabbard. This peculiar construction of the scabbard makes it possible to clear the blade without drawing it; as when a blow is struck the upper lashing is cut and the scabbard drops off. This makes the campilan a favorite for court wear. It would have been unforgivable offense for the subject to have appeared at court with a bare weapon, but there were occasions when an attack was likely immediately after leaving; on such occasions a sword that would clear itself had obvious advantages.

In some parts of Mindanao a different type of scabbard is sometimes used. It is made of a single piece of hard wood, straight sided and in section a flattened hexagon. At the middle of one side it has a loop handle cut from the solid and can be used as a parrying shield. Fig. 207.

I contacted Fred Coluzzi, a local dealer friend I have dealt with for the past 12 years ( coluzzi113@aol.com ) and he confirmed your identification and told me that he had sold many of these swords over the years in the $200. - $400. price range, I assume that the lower would be a sword without a scabbard. You are welcome to contact him directly if you wish to sell the sword or purchase other similar items if it has turned you on and you are interested in becoming a collector.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but rather power is a magnet that draws the corruptible." ~
Frank Herbert, in 'Dune' 1965

Best Regards, John Piscopo

Attachment: 38.83 KB
[ Download ]

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Campilan         Reply with quote

Daniel's sword. Sorry, the picture size was too large to post the whole picture.

Attachment: 28.32 KB
[ Download ]

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Campilan, Kampilan. A Malayan sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic