Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 16: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
53%
 53%  [ 29 ]
Very Good
38%
 38%  [ 21 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Oct 16: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Eric McHugh Bearded Axe

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Hanwei/CAS Iberia Mammen Axe

A hands-on review by Alexi Goranov

Arms & Armor Nordland Axe Prototype

A hands-on review by Joseph Fults

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With this group, we welcome another new author: Joe Fults. Thanks, Joe!
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William Knight

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking good. Though it means I have to keep waiting for a Kingmaker review for that much longer...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Knight wrote:
Looking good. Though it means I have to keep waiting for a Kingmaker review for that much longer...

Patience, dear friend. Good things come to those who wait. Happy In this case, you'll have to wait a little bit longer, since as far as I know, the reviewer we have lined up hasn't even received theirs yet.

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
With this group, we welcome another new author: Joe Fults. Thanks, Joe!

Thanks.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Thanks.

Right back at you. Happy Working with you was a pleasure. I look forward to doing it again.

We're indebted to all our authors, old and new, for helping keep the content flowing here. Happy The 118 articles/wallpapers, 169 reviews, 219 collection gallery pages, and all the as-yet-unpublished works in progress are the work of only 54 authors. We're always looking for more collaborators, too, so we can keep up with our aggressive publication schedule while continuing to add variety to our offerings.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Knight wrote:

Most makers aren't really that good about sending us review samples. I don't remember the last one we got from Albion. That means we have to rely on customers for review samples. If you guys miss timely reviews, contact the manufacturers of these items and harrass them into being more active about getting samples out. Big Grin Razz Big Grin Razz

(I'm sort of teasing here. I'm going to get slammed for this one...)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
William Knight wrote:

Most makers aren't really that good about sending us review samples. I don't remember the last one we got from Albion. That means we have to rely on customers for review samples. If you guys miss timely reviews, contact the manufacturers of these items and harrass them into being more active about getting samples out. Big Grin Razz Big Grin Razz

Well. it's actually a very good marketing strategy having one's product reviewed on this site: For one thing the quality of the photography seen here has often convinced me to BUY a sword that left me cold when just based on the maker's site pics.

Not that some of the maker's pics are bad quality: Only that the review pics are usually better in quality and also in the variety of views and angles of the product.

And that is cheap marketing if the only cost is shipping ! And the product get returned, RIGHT Razz ( Unless the reviewer likes it to much and actually buys it. Razz )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
William Knight wrote:

Well. it's actually a very good marketing strategy having one's product reviewed on this site: For one thing the quality of the photography seen here has often convinced me to BUY a sword that left me cold when just based on the maker's site pics.

Not that some of the maker's pics are bad quality: Only that the review pics are usually better in quality and also in the variety of views and angles of the product.

And that is cheap marketing if the only cost is shipping ! And the product get returned, RIGHT Razz ( Unless the reviewer likes it to much and actually buys it. Razz )

I think the industry really does have a stake in the success of sites like myArmoury. Hopefully they offer some $upport to this site!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
... And that is cheap marketing if the only cost is shipping ! And the product get returned, RIGHT Razz ( Unless the reviewer likes it to much and actually buys it. Razz )

Getting the reviewers to buy the pieces - yet another marketing strategy!! Big Grin I'll bet if I had one of those Kingmaker's for review, it would be awfully hard to pry it out of my hands afterwards!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love this set of updates! The axe reviews are great! I can't wait until the nordland axe comes out in final production.

Joe, Congrats on your first review, and thanks alot. Your review actually convinced me that I NEED the nordland axe. I hope we get to see more from you!

Keep up the great work everyone, we really appreciate it!

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:

Joe, Congrats on your first review, and thanks alot. Your review actually convinced me that I NEED the nordland axe. I hope we get to see more from you!

Interestingly enough, this was actually the third review Joe's written, but the first one published. Just the vagaries of our publication schedule. Look for more from Joe in the near future. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting reviews, gents, and another congratulations to Joe on his first review. Now, I know I need a proper axe!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Allen G.

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Great Axe update, the only thing I'd change is mixing it up between northern euro axes with other areas of Europe.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen G. wrote:
Hi, Great Axe update, the only thing I'd change is mixing it up between northern euro axes with other areas of Europe.

We can only review what we have available to review... If you guys like what we're doing, then I'd suggest to all our members that they contact the manufacturers and makers and request that they send us review samples. Maybe prodding from potential customers can lead to some success on this front. Wink

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Allen G.

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey it's worth a try.. next time I see something i'd really like a review on I'll shoot them an email about myArmoury. I'm surprised Albion doesn't send lots of samples since they have all your reviews linked on their site...
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

We can only review what we have available to review... If you guys like what we're doing, then I'd suggest to all our members that they contact the manufacturers and makers and request that they send us review samples. Maybe prodding from potential customers can lead to some success on this front. ;)

Don't forget the possibility of borrowing some items from people who are not quite motivated enough to do the review themselves. I am reasonably sure that there are opportunities to get a closer look at the items that are already in the hands of individual collectors, rather than relying on the maker to provide examples directly to the reviewers.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Don't forget the possibility of borrowing some items from people who are not quite motivated enough to do the review themselves. I am reasonably sure that there are opportunities to get a closer look at the items that are already in the hands of individual collectors, rather than relying on the maker to provide examples directly to the reviewers.

We don't forget that. In fact, most of our recent reviews have come from this. We've been relying on the membership for a long time.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had a question on my mind about the CASI axe. Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll ask it here.

What's the liklihood that CAS Iberia/Hanwei mounted the axe head upside down on the shaft? It looks upside down to me.The way it's mounted ends up with a very weird edge angle. Not having ever handled this axe, I'm operating in a cloud of guesses. Having said that, however, it sure looks like the edge angle would make cutting less than ideal.

Thoughts?

Hanwei/CAS Iberia Mammen Axe

A hands-on review by Alexi Goranov

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've had a question on my mind about the CASI axe. Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll ask it here.

What's the liklihood that CAS Iberia/Hanwei mounted the axe head upside down on the shaft? It looks upside down to me.The way it's mounted ends up with a very weird edge angle. Not having ever handled this axe, I'm operating in a cloud of guesses. Having said that, however, it sure looks like the edge angle would make cutting less than ideal.

Thoughts?

The original has a much more pronounced slant of the blade downward towards the haft. I looked very hard at the designs on the original and the reproduction and the orientation of the CAS one seems right (judging by the patterns on the blade). The problem is that the axe shape is a bit off on the reproduction so it is not a very easy comparison. Since the edge of the repro is virtually parallel to the haft, it seems to make little difference how they mounted it. The only peculiar part is the pronounced upper edge point. I reminds me a bit of a bearded axe mounted upwards.

I have not cut with mine but it seems that it will cut just fine, and the edge aligns well with the target when I simulate a cut in a slow motion exercise.

Alexi

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 16: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: