Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mark Hand Forged Line Viking Langsax Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Rosario

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Albion Mark Hand Forged Line Viking Langsax         Reply with quote

I have just put a down payment on this sword and hopefully within a couple weeks(more like months) I will have paid it completely off. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this great sword and work of art. Personally I think I'm getting this at a steal especially since the blade was forged by Randal Graham.

Here is a link: http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/albion/forged/langsax.htm

One other question. What exactly is W-1 steel?

Thanks to Mike at Albion for working with me to get this sword Big Grin .

Andrew Rosario
Joe M.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, that is a very, very gorgeous sword. Regarding W-1, my steel chart lists the following specs but no "interesting" information:

.70 - 1.50 Carbon; .10 - .40 Manganese; .15 Chromium; .10 Vanadium; .10 Molybdenum; .50 Tungsten.

Perhaps a much more experienced person can now tell you what kind of a sword that translates into.......

Lassie ate chickens Happy
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe M. wrote:
Yes, that is a very, very gorgeous sword. Regarding W-1, my steel chart lists the following specs but no "interesting" information:

.70 - 1.50 Carbon; .10 - .40 Manganese; .15 Chromium; .10 Vanadium; .10 Molybdenum; .50 Tungsten.

Perhaps a much more experienced person can now tell you what kind of a sword that translates into.......

The W1 that was used on this blades was about 1% Carbon and Iron with a few trace elements that were of fairly nominal levels, in other words its a simple steel. W1 is basically a high-carbon, water-quench (thus the "W') steel. Even though it is a water quenching steel, many smith oil quench it when they make blades out of it to reduce the chance of cracking or other failures. It can be compared to 1095 which has slightly less carbon in it.

Hope this helps. Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you scored an excellent piece, Andrew. I wasn't aware Albion took down payments + payoffs on one-of-a-kinds. To be honest, the Norman Invader has been screaming at me for quite sometime. Half tempted to put the Brescia prototype back up for sale and chase this one. Should resist though, that's alot of money and I have a lot of stuff on the way, and the Brescia prototype is a wonderful blade itself.

I think the folks at Albion love to see people squirm and make difficult choices.

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andrew Rosario

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I just heard the toilet flush on my plans Sad My wife(the person jiggling the handle) wants a new car. So you all know what that means don't you? This beautiful, one of a kind Viking Langsax is back up for grabs Cry

Oh well, not all is lost. I used the down payment to buy myself a Mainz Rheingonheim Gladius.

Andrew

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mark Hand Forged Line Viking Langsax
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic