Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin Falchion sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Raffaele Vitale

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Del Tin Falchion sword         Reply with quote

http://www.deltin.net/5131.htm

that's a link to the Del Tin Falchion...
has anyone it?
i'd like to know something about balancing of this falchion and other falchions,
because my swordmaker does not know how to make it...
i've read reviews about some falchions and i've noticed they have a point of balance far from the quillon more than
any medieval sword. i want to know if there are some rule to make a falchions, rules that link the point of balance to the
curvature of the blade

thank you so much
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Del Tin Falchion sword         Reply with quote

Raffaele Vitale wrote:
http://www.deltin.net/5131.htm

that's a link to the Del Tin Falchion...
has anyone it?
i'd like to know something about balancing of this falchion and other falchions,
because my swordmaker does not know how to make it...
i've read reviews about some falchions and i've noticed they have a point of balance far from the quillon more than
any medieval sword. i want to know if there are some rule to make a falchions, rules that link the point of balance to the
curvature of the blade

thank you so much

I don't have the Falchion. I have the DT5174 Dussack, which has a vaguely similar curved, single edge blade, but a complex hilt. Link to the myArmoury.com review of the Dussack. FWIW, please note that the point of balance for the Dussack is given as just 3-1/2 inches from the guard. In my opinion the dussack is agile for its mass. Of course, the POB is influenced by the mass of the complex hilt, so it may be reasonable to expect that a simple hilted falchion like the DT5131 will have a POB placed farther away from the cross.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Falchion         Reply with quote

Hi There.........I'll probablly get shot down in flames here......but I'm not convinced that the point of balance is so important with Falchions. My Falchion is a heavy one and I have heard it said that that is actually a good thing with these swords as the were used more like a Machette than a regular sword. I dont think that the lighter ones would do very much damage to an armoured opponent. (Take it easy on me everyone ! Big Grin )
Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Falchion         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Hi There.........I'll probablly get shot down in flames here......but I'm not convinced that the point of balance is so important with Falchions. My Falchion is a heavy one and I have heard it said that that is actually a good thing with these swords as the were used more like a Machette than a regular sword. I dont think that the lighter ones would do very much damage to an armoured opponent. (Take it easy on me everyone ! Big Grin )

For what it's worth, here is my conjecture...

I'm not convinced that falchions are supposed to be heavy. I'm not convinced that those who say they are have anything substantial to back that up. The only stats that I have on falchions, save the Conyers example, are for later-period examples that are primarily ornamental rather than battlefield weapons.

This isn't to say that falchions are not supposed to balance further towards the blade tip, but I'd wager the difference in average balance point is only like 5-10% closer to the tip than other swords. Even with such small-sounding differences, a sword that balances 5-10% closer to the blade tip has the apparent feel of a much heavier weapon.

I'm also not conviced that a falchion should feel like a machete, and I'm positive it shouldn't perform like one. My current thoughts are that a falchion is intended to cut far more than it is to intended to chop. I suspect that a falchion would need a similar blade geometry of a machete in order to act as one. I'd be curious to know of such qualities on a falchion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could look at the statistics for the Albion Vassal since Peter Johnsson always does hands-on research on originals to be as close as possible to period handling.
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lchion.htm

Now, all falchions may not have been like the one or many that Peter examined but it's a credible starting point.

As with any single edged blade of equal weight and dimensions to a matching in POB double edged sword, the single edged blade should have an edge geometry making the single edge a more aggressive cutter.

Some falchions may have been heavier or have more blade presence but everything being equal the edge geometric was probably the main reason that these are efficient cutters. Question Oh, and sabre like curved edges even when the overall blade can be defined as strait i.e. wide strait blade but with a more or less curved edge.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin Falchion sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic