Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need help with MRL. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Need help with MRL.         Reply with quote

I sent a product inquiry to Museum Replicas Limited approx. two weeks ago about importing one product as a sample and then a small bulk order for our reenactment group. I got an immediate reply at first but when I asked for the postage amount to place the order, I didnt get a reply. I sent another e-mail a week later and I still got no reply. I have just put an international call trough and I got put on hold so long I just had to hang up .
Does anyone out there know if they have gone on holidays or something ? Theres nothing on their website. I know that many of you have bought swords and other items from them.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i need to ask Sword purchasers.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers.

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv,
Unfortunately, this may be indicative of MRL's current customer service policies. Their customer service used to be one of the pluses ordering through them directly, but perhaps not any more.
A year or two ago, I e-mailed MRL asking them about the type of assembly used in one of their closeout swords (the "Schwert", I believe). I wanted to know if the tang end was peened over the pommel, or if the pommel screwed on a threaded tang. They responded to me in a day or two with the information. Earlier this year, I inquired about another closeout sword's construction, and never received a full response! I also found their advertising for their annual sale to be misleading. I know their annual sales in the past had always been "showroom only", but they never stated that on their web site when they advertised the sale this year. They did verify as such in an e-mail, but neglected to answer my questions about the sword I was interested in!
I also spoke to a gentleman who had an informational booth about swords at the local Scottish Games, and he made some rather disparaging remarks regarding MRL's customer service. They are also known for posting items on their web site long before they actually have them in stock!
If you could, I would recommend going through another dealer that sells Windlass items. I'm not sure if that's feasible in your location, but it might be a better option in the long run.
Hope this helps!
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have had pretty good luck with their customer service. I called twice in the last few weeks, got right through and had one item delivered promptly, the other is on backorder but was clearly stated in my invoice. Also note my calls where about the delivery, not about the make of something and not a large order going over sea's. Maybe try another call, before taking more serious steps.
BTW This coming Monday is a holiday in the states and they might be closed.
Good luck
Chuck
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: MRL         Reply with quote

I was a dealer for them for a couple of years but let the arrangement lapse by not placing any orders. They contacted me in the summer, asking if I wanted to renew the arrangement, which I decided to do. I sent them a complete packet of information on my company in July and, as of today, have heard absolutely nothing. I have not called, because I have been busy, but will do so next week. Until now my experience with them has been pretty good. They seem to be in the throes of making some significant changes in their organization so that could have something to do with it.

LR

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with MRL's customer service on the phone has been excellent. They're helpful, responsive, and I have not been on hold for any length of time.

My experience with MRL's customer service via email has been completely non-existent. They have never, and I mean never, responded to a single email I've sent them. This has got to be in the 25-30 range of unanswered email.

This is an unfortunate thing for international customers, but I fear the only real way to contact them is via the phone.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with MRLs customer service has been 50/50, regardless of the type of communication used.

I've never been put on hold and I have always talked to a live human being. However, that doesn't mean the product always arrived as stated, sometimes the product has never arrived at all (but they still took the money) or has been sent to an old address that's several years old. I have never received an e-mail response from them, ever. On the other hand I've always had good luck with their returns department. My experience in dealing with MRL directly is so spotty that I no longer do so. I'd rather go through a reliable vendor who carries MRL products than take my chances with MRL directly.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Fri 06 Oct, 2006 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick Kelly, their customer service does seem to be 50/50.
I must admit they seemed quick and helpful the times I've done business over the phone with them.
I think my opinion of them was soured by my last experience being a negative one.
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: MRL         Reply with quote

Gee, thanks everyone........On the whole it seems that they really need to get their act together........oh, well.....it only SALES !!!

Thanks !

Merv ....... KOLR

Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I harassed them with a bunch of questions on distal taper, balance, cop, etc. when I bought the 15th C. longsword from them and they emailed me back within a day or so. I also called a couple of times and have always had good service on the phone.

I'm sorry to hear some of you other folks had some trouble with them, I hope they pull it together soon!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope they pull it together soon!

This isn't going to happen. One thing we need to remember is that MRL is far from a new company. They've been around for over twenty years now. Things really went to Hades in a handbasket when Windlass Steelcrafts bought the company from Hank Reinhardt. Windlass simply doesn't have much of an ear for these kinds of concerns. They have made welcome improvements in their products but they seem to be limited to what they're willing to do. To be honest, they don't have to. The product is made by a cottage industry in India for a pittance. The mark up is so huge that if MRL sells twenty swords and has fifteen of them returned they still show a profit. (I don't know the exact figures, that's just a hypothetical example) It's all about the laws of supply and demand, profit and return. On their end it's been working well for quite a while so there's no real need to improve any of these sales related issues.

I'm not slamming Windlass/MRL. They obviously know what works for them and no one is being forced to buy their product but wishing it weren't so won't change the reality.
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: MRL         Reply with quote

Gee.......What the hell happened to plain old fashined good manners !! ? I guess like so very many "modern"companies they only care about profits ! Surely they are not so short-staffed that they have to be rude ! Whats the use of having a web-site if you wont answer e-mails......we dont all live in Atlanta !!
Well, I'll just have to keep searching for someone responsable to deal with !! Can anyone give me a short list ?
Although I believe that more and more people are starting to get gear from Europe..............there's that Italian group, ( I'll have to look them up,) they've been getting lots of good reports from US customers. and a few in Germany. The thing I've found with European companies is that, IMHO, they make a wider range of items that are historically accurate ! If you look at period paintings and drawings you see a suprising variety of arms and armour in any one period whereas many companies seem to just re-vamp the same old Bascinets and swords, etc., some better that others.

Merv ....... KOLR

Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: MRL         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Gee.......What the hell happened to plain old fashined good manners !! ? I guess like so very many "modern"companies they only care about profits ! Surely they are not so short-staffed that they have to be rude ! Whats the use of having a web-site if you wont answer e-mails......we dont all live in Atlanta !!
Well, I'll just have to keep searching for someone responsable to deal with !! Can anyone give me a short list ?
Although I believe that more and more people are starting to get gear from Europe..............there's that Italian group, ( I'll have to look them up,) they've been getting lots of good reports from US customers. and a few in Germany. The thing I've found with European companies is that, IMHO, they make a wider range of items that are historically accurate ! If you look at period paintings and drawings you see a suprising variety of arms and armour in any one period whereas many companies seem to just re-vamp the same old Bascinets and swords, etc., some better that others.

Well, I concur, a couple of months ago or more I contacted a czech smith for prices, as required on his website, still waiting for answer.

When it comes I will be an expert smith so i will have alreeady my self-built type XII.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need help with MRL.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic