Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 2: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
50%
 50%  [ 20 ]
Very Good
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 40

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Oct 2: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Jody Samson Carolingian Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Jody Samson Regency Sword

Jody Samson Boarding Cutlass

Jody Samson Warlord's Sword

A hands-on review by Russ Ellis

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can certainly say that I enjoyed reading the reviews especially Bill's on the Carolingian sword since I had the opportunity to handle that one myself. It was neat to see his impression.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed all four of these reviews, and found the writing to be very thoughtful. Well done, Bill and Russ.

I haven't really taken much notice of Jody Sampson's swords, to date. My focus is history, and the farther a particular piece gets from history, the less interested I tend to be. So I don't expect to be in the market to purchase a sword like one of these. Nevertheless, I find all four of these pieces very attractive (maybe because there are no skulls in the castings?), so, you never know what might show up in my sword cabinet some day ....

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Steve. With this update group, we have obviously tried to bring a broader subject matter to our audience. While it might depart from our tagline of "A Resource for HIstorical Arms and Armour Collectors", I'd say that these types of items still have an appeal to our core audience. Beyond that, we hope to pull in a broader audience and share with them our core content. One of the goals of myArmoury.com is to expose this more general audience to historic arms and armour, increase the interest in such things and, with luck, help expand the market surrounding it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I enjoyed all four of these reviews, and found the writing to be very thoughtful. Well done, Bill and Russ.

I haven't really taken much notice of Jody Sampson's swords, to date. My focus is history, and the farther a particular piece gets from history, the less interested I tend to be. So I don't expect to be in the market to purchase a sword like one of these. Nevertheless, I find all four of these pieces very attractive (maybe because there are no skulls in the castings?), so, you never know what might show up in my sword cabinet some day ....

I agree. I too fiind skulls and bats and stuff in the fittings to be a bit "over the top." These swords were certainly falling into the "larger then life" category but not "over the top" if the distinction means anything to anyone. Happy Both the swords I handled were attractive, and I've handled one similar (maybe even that one?) to the cutlass Bill reviewed as well and it was also very pretty. I won't be rushing out to buy one any time soon, my collecting budget has more then enough stress put on it by historical purchases but nonetheless I would not mind having one of these on my rack.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good fantasy stuff can be viewed as credible sword designs in fantasy context or as " could have been or could be " in an alternate Universe and look as coming from some unknown culture.

Credible in the sense that handling is that of usable swords and the style of decoration doesn't negatively impact handling: At least if we want to limit things to what can be considered real swords.

Swordlike objects can be anything if one likes that kind of thing: Sometimes an over the top design is so bad it good !
A bit like the worse films ever made that can be fun to watch as opposed to the truly boring which are just mediocre.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 2: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic