Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great Plains Renaissance Faire. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Great Plains Renaissance Faire.         Reply with quote

We just returned from Wichita and the Great Plains Renaissance Faire so I thought I'd share some photos.

As this photo shows, Greyson Brown made the drive down from Fort Riley to join us. He brought his two new scabbards with him for show and tell. They were both nicely done and it seems we may have a new generation of scabbard makers amongst us. The armor made the trip but stayed in the trunk due to the hot weather.

The strangely dressed gentleman on the left is Tony Klaus, our highschools music director. We're dressing him up next time. Wink

My better half looked lovely as always and I made a few additions to my clothing this time, going for more of a 13th century look.

Linda likes the St. Maurice and Greg had to beg her to give it back.

I didn't take it kindly when Greg told me my outfit clashed.

In the end I scoffed at Gregs overly large sword, which is an obvious compensation for something. Razz

Actually I have no idea what this photo was about but I've included it to show off my new ballock dagger from John Gage.

I've also decided to leave the Highway Patrol and find work as a garden gnome. You can see me on pg.35 of Toscanos next catalog.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Great Plains Renaissance Faire.         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
We just returned from Wichita and the Great Plains Renaissance Faire so I thought I'd share some photos.

I've also decided to leave the Highway Patrol and find work as a garden gnome. You can see me on pg.35 of Toscanos next catalog.

Looks like a good time! I'd be tempted to get the Patrick Kelly Garden Gnome, but I'm afraid it would scare the neighbors!

As far as advice with putting together a kit, how does wool wear in our (KS, OK) unseasonably hot weather? Or is it better to stay with linen in our neck of the woods?

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. Everyone had a good time. This isn't a huge event with permanent structures and the like. It isn't bad for its size though and is within easy driving distance, so it's a pleasant weekend diversion. I'd reconsider the gnome purchase as it's sure to be a collectors item!

We use mostly linen for our clothing as my wife is highly alergic to wool, which is ironic since she used to raise sheep. The only part of my clothing made from wool are the chausses. The linen is much cooler for our climate in this part of the country. The first tunic my wife made me was wool. After wearing it to the Texas Ren. Faire in Huston earlier this year I decided to compromise in that area and stick with linen. Eek! I also intend to eventually obtain some tablet woven trim to cover up most of the machine stitching.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<quote>
In the end I scoffed at Gregs overly large sword, which is an obvious compensation for something.

Ummmmmmm...........Let's see....this coming from someone who carries around his "Wee.."opps, I mean "Big Johnsson". Eek! Laughing Out Loud
After all, look at the loverly lady I have at my beck-and-call and then say "he's compensating for something", mwahhahahahahahahahaha..........

Oh, and did I say the outfit clashed? Gosh, I'm so sorry. Meant to say that you looked sooooooo Christmasy with your wonderful green tunic and red hood. Razz
(In case anyone's wondering, Patrick is very picky about his "kits" and being historically correct, and Dorathea does a fantastic job of making the soft kit for him. Wish I had his knowledge in this area!)

We did have a good time. The only scary part was the fact that Patrick proved to be very prophetic when he said there would be only two decent swords there and we would be wearing them. Sword-like objects prevailed, OUCH!

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Ummmmmmm...........Let's see....this coming from someone who carries around his "Wee.."opps, I mean "Big Johnsson". Eek! Laughing Out Loud

For some it's compensation, for others it's just "telling it like it is"!

Quote:
After all, look at the loverly lady I have at my beck-and-call.........

Who are you trying to fool buddy? I know it's the other way around. Wink

Quote:
Oh, and did I say the outfit clashed? Gosh, I'm so sorry. Meant to say that you looked sooooooo Christmasy with your wonderful green tunic and red hood. Razz

Well didn't I say I belonged in Santas workshop? Big Grin
Give me some big wings and the Svante and I might fit on an old Jethro Tull album cover.

Quote:
The only scary part was the fact that Patrick proved to be very prophetic when he said there would be only two decent swords there and we would be wearing them. Sword-like objects prevailed, OUCH!

Once again I was forced to come to Gregs rescue and prevent him from entering a tent full of lower-end offerings. I didn't want the St. Maurice to contract an SLO infection!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

See, you guys are no crazier in person than you are on the internet. Razz

I had a great time. Thanks for telling me about the event, and letting me hang out with you.

That last picture does a good job of showing how arden ganome like Patrick can look, but it just isn't complete without seeing the little bob that he does while chanting, "I'm a lawn gnome, I'm a lawn gnome."

And I learned the hard way, do not offer to hold the Big Johnsson in an effort to save it from being infected with SLO-itus. Dorthea doesn't like that.

Thanks again. I had a great time.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson wrote:
See, you guys are no crazier in person than you are on the internet.

Perhaps even more so! As I told you this weekend: if you ever want to make the trip down to Liberal for a little cutting session I have a spare room you can bunk in.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Great Plains Renaissance Faire.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic