Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New shipping/storage option Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: New shipping/storage option         Reply with quote

Albion is now offering sword storage/shipping cases.

There are two sizes available - medium for single hand swords and large for hand-and-a-half swords. The cases are available for sale alone for $25 and $30 respectively, but also available as a shipping option for new swords with only a $15 additional charge to our usual shipping and handling charges (since it will take the place of the usual "big white box.")

More information here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/accoutrements/cases.htm

If people like these, we may add other sizes as well.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com

Last edited by Howard Waddell on Mon 25 Sep, 2006 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is just GREAT. Finding a suitable gun case is such a pain sometimes.... Wink
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good price point for the cases. Not too expensive and reusable is just the thing. :-)

My only suggestion is that you might find a market for cases that could hold up to three swords. Most of us who travel to events with our swords have more than one that we take to them. You can either do this by using multiple layers of foam to store three swords in one case, or make them wider to hold three side by side with the middle one reversed. I would definitely pay for such a case if I found one.

Regards,

Bryce
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Good price point for the cases. Not too expensive and reusable is just the thing. :-)

My only suggestion is that you might find a market for cases that could hold up to three swords. Most of us who travel to events with our swords have more than one that we take to them. You can either do this by using multiple layers of foam to store three swords in one case, or make them wider to hold three side by side with the middle one reversed. I would definitely pay for such a case if I found one.

Regards,

Bryce

The local Bass Pro Shops has gun cases similar to these that fit at least two Albion longswords (I've fit 2 longswords and a single-hander in it at one time) and they're less than $30. I'd think an inexpensive multi-sword case could be an offering.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! I'll probably get some of those in the future. My next Albions will definitely be coming in those cases!

Max
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:

Regards,

Bryce

Hi Bryce

I've used those cases for shipping in the past, and am glad to see that they're back in production {having been told more than a year ago they were unavailable, and going to stay that way}........I have packed five swords in those cases when getting ready for an event. Three without any special packing, five one needs to wrap the guard to prevent it from damaging the scabbard or leather wrap of the other sword....... swords will shift just a bit when packed like this.

swords are fun
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

Hi Bryce

I've used those cases for shipping in the past, and am glad to see that they're back in production {having been told more than a year ago they were unavailable, and going to stay that way}........I have packed five swords in those cases when getting ready for an event. Three without any special packing, five one needs to wrap the guard to prevent it from damaging the scabbard or leather wrap of the other sword....... swords will shift just a bit when packed like this.

Hmm, guess I have to buy one to find out. :-)
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Gus noted, the contents will shift about. That may be how my Regent was damaged when the tip worked its way out of the opening along the end of the case (though I think it was actually removed by FedEx employees and damaged since there were cuts in the foam where it was shoved back into the case). When squashed, apparently the cases will gap on the ends or sides. I've received a couple of swords in the gun cases where the cross had worked its way out of the side--luckily without damage. If the padlock ports are secured with the plastic ties, then they seem to be more secure than packing tape wrapped around the case, and it is easier to see if someone has tampered with it. Personally, I'd only want the sword shipped in the scabbard in one of these, or the case shipped inside a box and away from curious fingers of the loading gorillas. Sorry, this apparently brought up some issues...

Otherwise, these cases are great for carrying and transporting, and these look good and solid.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Steve on all accounts. These cases allow the contents to shift far too much, draw too much attention to the package, and don't offer as much padding and security as other options. The Albion "white box" is far, far superior on all accounts and is an absolutely excellent shipping solution.

These cases, the gun cases as they were, are marvelous for storage at your home and perhaps careful transport by the owner to an event or other location. But they are hideous options for shipping, in my opinion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe if some gray foam is added around the sword like in the traditional Albion package it would help to prevent the shifting issue...

The tip of my V. Cervenka longsword once found its way out of a gun case while I was carrying it in a public place. Since then I always add some clothes inside the case to prevent the crossguard or the tip from getting out.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Maybe if some gray foam is added around the sword like in the traditional Albion package it would help to prevent the shifting issue...

The tip of my V. Cervenka longsword once found its way out of a gun case while I was carrying it in a public place. Since then I always add some clothes inside the case to prevent the crossguard or the tip from getting out.

Perhaps putting a foam "block" or some other such protection on the tips might help when shipping or transporting? Just an idea, but it would also help prevent the tips from going through narrow openings too.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awhile back I bought a Pelican 1720 case to protect a toy that I have and with the case came a pamphlet that tells about placing the object on top like what you see in Howard's photo then drawing an outline of the object and cutting the foam out so the object can be recessed down...this way the sword will not be moving around and there should be no way of having parts sticking out...put a lock(s) on both ends and give the customer the combo...me having been the receiver of 2 separate swords having parts sticking out of cheap cases with only clear packing tape to seal it shut just does not make one pleased ( on 1 case the lip was bent open at one end to look inside WTF?! ) ...if your going to do it , do it right so the high dollar sword is 100% protected from the monkeys stomping/kicking/throwing/prying of the cases

This is to show how an item fits in the case
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1720
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure how well it would work for shipping, but here is what I did to one of my gun cases that I used to transport swords. I cut pairs slits all the way through the foam on the bottom size in a few different spots that would be good anchor spots. Then I took some nylon type strap material I had around, cut it to length, put velcro on the ends, then just run them through one slit and back up the opposite, and just velcro it tight over the sword. Ended up cutting a few different sets around since I never seem to put the same thing in there, and now just move the straps around to where they will hold what I am carrying the best. Over time some of the velcro didn't hold, didn't sew it on, I ended up just knotting the strap and that worked about as well. So might be about as simple to just poke some holes through with an awl and run some rope through for tie downs.

Shane
Valerio Besa

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: New shipping/storage option         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Albion is now offering sword storage/shipping cases.

There are two sizes available - medium for single hand swords and large for hand-and-a-half swords. The cases are available for sale alone for $25 and $30 respectively, but also available as a shipping option for new swords with only a $15 additional charge to our usual shipping and handling charges (since it will take the place of the usual "big white box.")

More information here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/accoutrements/cases.htm

If people like these, we may add other sizes as well.

Best,

Howy

Hi,
it seem to me a good choice, are the museum collection swords still shipped with wooden crate ?

Valerio

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New shipping/storage option
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic