Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ancient Mycenaean, Anatolian and Greek Weapons Bibliography Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic  
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Ancient Mycenaean, Anatolian and Greek Weapons Bibliography         Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Anyone interested in ancient Mycenaean, Anatolian, Greek and Thracian weapons[pms and warfare should obtain the following books. I would be happy to assist anyone in finding them. All of the following books are in my library, collected over many years, so they are available. I will copy and paste this bibliography to a File at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancientweapons
for permanent access and I will update it in the future if I obtain additional titles.

Andronicos, Manolis. Vergina: The Royal Tombs and the Ancient City. Ekdotike Athenon. Athens, Greece. 1991. ISBN: 960-213-128-4. I purchased my copy from Aspen Book Shop through ABE for $72.

Brannigan, Keith. Aegean Metalwork of the Early and Middle Bronze Age. Oxford Monographs on Classical Archaeology. At the Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK. 1974. I purchased mine from Archaeologica.com for $300.

Connolly, Peter. Greece and Rome at War. Greenhill Books div. of Stackpole Books. Mechanicsburg, VA. 1981. ISBN: 1-85367-303-X

Erkanal, Hayat. Die Axte und Beile des 2. Jahrtausends in Zentralanatolien.
(Flat and Socketed Axes of the 2nd Millennium BC in Central Anatolia).
C.H. Beck'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung. Munchen, BRD.1977. ISBN: 3-406-00768-1. Prahistorische Bronzefunde Abt. IX, Band 8.

Hackett, General Sir John, Editor. Warfare in the Ancient World. Facts on File.
New York, NY. 1989. ISBN: 0-8160-2459-6.
Hoplite Warfare by John Lazenby.
Alexander the Great by Dr. Albert Devine.
Hellenistic Warfare by Dr. Nick Secunda.

Hall, H.R, The Civilization of Greece in the Bronze Age (The Rhind Lectures 1923) Cooper Square Publishers, Inc. New York, NY. 1970. (Reprint of the original 1928 edition)

Head, Duncan. Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars: Organisation, tactics, dress and weapons. A Wargames Research Group Publication. 1982.

Killian-Dirlmeier. Die Schwerter in Griechenland (ausserhalb der Peloponnes) Bulgarien und Albanien (The Swords of Greece (also the Pelopponese) Thrace and Epirus). Prahistorische Bronzefunde Abteilung IV, 12. Band. Franz Steiner Verlag. Stuttgart, Germany. 1993. ISBN: 3-515-06020-0. German Language. I purchased mine through Amazon.de for euro 94.80, including shipping. I have two swords illustrated in the group, I will forward an email on them to anyone interested.

Matthaus, Hartmut. Metallgefasse und Gefassuntersatze der Bronzezeit, der geometrischen und archaishen Periode aus Cypern mit einem Anhang der bronzezeitlichen Schwertfunde auf Cypern. C.H. Beck'sche Verlagsbuch-
handlung. Munchen, BRD. 1985. ISBN: 3-406-30151-7. German Language. Prahistorische Bronzefunde Abt. II, Band 8.
___________________. Die Bronzegefasse der dretisch-mykenishen Kultur. C.H. Beck'sche Verlagsbuchhandlumg. Munchen, BRD. 1980. Abt. II, 1 Band.
ISBN: 3-406-04002-0.

Molloy, Barry. Weapons and Warfare at the end of the Mycenaean era. He wrote it as an undergraduate paper/ 1999. He is a member of this forum, ask him for a copy. I downloaded and printed a copy, then tracked him down. It is no longer posted on the internet that I know of. viacras@yahoo.com

Muller-Karpe, Andreas. Altanatolisches Metallhandwerk. Wachholtz Verlag Neumunster. 1994. (Ancient Anatolian Metal Artifacts). ISBN: 3-529-1175-4.

Naue, Dr. Julius. Die Vorromishen Schwerter aus Kupfer, Bronze und Eisen. Two Volumes, one text and the other illustrations, all line drawings. Verlag der K. Priv. kunst-anstalt piloty &Loehle. Munchen, Bavaria. 1903. I have a copy once owned and signed by Stuart Piggott. Dr. Naue and Oscar Montellius were the pioneers in the study of ancient European weapons. John Evans in England wrote similarly on weapons in the British Isles. This is a very rare book and will need some hunting. I bought minw from Ken Trottman in the UK for $273., including shipping.

Papadopoulos, Thanasis J. The Late Bronze Age Daggers of the Aegean I The Greek Mainland. Praehistorishe Bronzefunde, Abteilung VI, 11. Band. Franz Steiner Verlag. Stuttgart, Germany. 1998. ISBN: 3-515-06152-5. English Language. I purchased mine from Wasmuth.de for $54.

Snodgrass, Anthony M. Arms and Armour of the Greeks: Thames and Hudson. London, UK. 1967.
___________________ The Dark Age of Greece: AnArchaeological Survey of the Eleventh to the Eighth Centuries BC. University Press. Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 1971.
___________________ Early Greek Armour and Weapons. University Press. Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. 1964.

Warry, John. Warfare in the Classical World. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, OK. 1980. 1980. Paperback. ISBN: 0-8061-2794-5.

Webber, Christopher. The Thracians 700 BC - AD 46. Osprey Publishing. Oxford, UK. 2001. Paperback. ISBN: 1-84176-329-2.

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are some interesting points which can be gleaned from Osgood, Monks and Toms book Bronze Age Warfare, which surveys the whole of Europe, but not the Middle East.
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Bronze Age Warfare         Reply with quote

Dear Felix,

I have the Osgood book, it is not a good book for weapons, only a single Naue II sword is pictured. There are some nice chariots in line drawings but the single chapter titled Agean (Ch.6) is only 18 pages look and the bibliography given for the short essay is pitiful.

Best regards, John Piscopo

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
Felix Wang

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fair enough, for the area specified.

Does Yadin's work on Warfare in Biblical Lands fit into this list somewhere?
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Bibliography         Reply with quote

Does Yadin's work on Warfare in Biblical Lands fit into this list somewhere?

Dear Felix,

The Yadin book will fit in when I post a bibliography on the Syria-Palestine-Egypt area of Near East Studies. Yadin makes no references to swords or other weapons from European or even Cypriot sources. My big project will be to create bibliographies for European and Iranian weapons studies.

Brock H

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great reference library, John.

I would add N. K. Sandars' two articles "The First Aegean Swords and Their Ancestry" in American Journal of Archaeology Vol. 65 and "Later Aegean Bronze Swords" in AJA Vol. 67. I just got copies a few days ago from the University of North Dakota and find them interesting and useful reading. Unfortunately, they forgot to copy the accompanying plates so I had to put in a request for them. Should have those in a couple weeks.
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: N.K. Sanders The First Aegean Swords and Their Ancestry         Reply with quote

Dear Brock,

Could I prevail upon you to make photocopies of the articles when they are complete and mail them to me?

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but rather power is a magnet that draws the corruptible." ~
Frank Herbert, in 'Dune' 1965

Best Regards, John Piscopo
http://www.JohnPiscopoSwords.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chinese_Archaeology/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancientweapons
AncientWeapons-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Chinese_Archaeology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Ancientartifacts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancient_Thailand/?yguid=30974666
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dong_Son
Dong_Son-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
KUSHANAS-SUBSCRIBE@YAHOOGROUPS.COMhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kushanas/
http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12
http://forums.swordforum.com/index.php?s=
http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/board/profile.php
http://www.oldswords.com
PO Box 137
Western Springs, IL 60558
(708)246-7111

Brock H

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John, I could scan the text next weekend and send them to you and forward the illustrations when they arrive. Or would you prefer to wait and get it all at once? I expect to have the illos in two weeks since that was how long it took to get the text after I made my original request. That would make it the weekend after next.
Felix Wang

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

If I may add a footnote for the unwary (pun intended!):

Mr. Warry's book exists in at least two versions. I am confident the one listed above is the illustrated version; but a version without most illustrations was produced a few years ago. The chief glory of this book is its superb illustrations, so caveat emptor.
Brock H

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently got the Warry book. A version missing most of the illustrations would be far, far less than it could be. I believe I got it off Amazon.com, maybe barnesandnoble.com. Mine is the University of Oklahoma paperback version published in 1995 and it has the illustrations.
John Piscopo

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John, I could scan the text next weekend and send them to you and forward the illustrations when they arrive. Or would you prefer to wait and get it all at once? I expect to have the illos in two weeks since that was how long it took to get the text after I made my original request. That would make it the weekend after next.

Dear Brock,

I am not in a hurry, I just want to keep my library in good shape and encourage others to do original research.

I have the 1980 paperback edition of Warry's Warfare in the Classical World which is fully illustrated. I purchased it from Amazon in 1998 for $15.96

Brock H

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Piscopo wrote:
I am not in a hurry, I just want to keep my library in good shape and encourage others to do original research.

Okay, I'll wait until I have the accompanying illustrations. I hope you have a high-speed connection because it will be quite large.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ancient Mycenaean, Anatolian and Greek Weapons Bibliography
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic