Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapon Measurements Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tim Manley

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Weapon Measurements         Reply with quote

I'm looking for a resource that gives length and weight of weapons. I’d like to have a table comparison of a wide variety of weapons. Does anyone know of such a resource?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weapon Measurements         Reply with quote

Tim Manley wrote:
I'm looking for a resource that gives length and weight of weapons. I’d like to have a table comparison of a wide variety of weapons. Does anyone know of such a resource?

I've been wanting to tackle this for some time. The Oakeshott Institute has promosed creating a "Sword Documentation Project" but has not been able to get it off the ground due to many factors, mostly related to resource shortages. I'd like to work with them on it, too, but again it's had roadblocks.

I've also shopped around for authors willing to assist in such an article, but have come up short on that.

Perhaps someday..

But for now, there are many things available to you scattered all over the place. Your best source is books and, perhaps, museum Web sites and the various articles and data found on sites like myArmoury.com.

One such article about rapiers can be found here but is sparse.

Our forum, right here, has much scattered throughout, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check this out... http://www.myArmoury.com/compare.html. No weights given but the sizes are accurate to their historical counterparts.
Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Check this out... http://www.myArmoury.com/compare.html. No weights given but the sizes are accurate to their historical counterparts.

Weights are given in the stats area of the compare tool, if they were available when I added them.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Manley

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You wouldn't happen to have the tables from that DB available anywhere would you? You have a lot of data there, some of it with weights. It's a really good start.
Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Manley wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have the tables from that DB available anywhere would you? You have a lot of data there, some of it with weights. It's a really good start.
Big Grin

No, I do not. It's one of the projects on my list: to input the data into a database and then use that database to do many, many things. I have 15 or 20 "tools" conceptualized for this data which would result in many, many ways of presenting and comparing the data. I have not had the time or resources to move on this, however, and doubt I will any time soon. If I had more people involved in the myArmoury.com project, I could perhaps offload and offset much of my work and be able to further pursue projects like this (and the others I have in mind) but this has been elusive. But I'm happy with this project in its current state and proud of what we do here.

Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

go to www.thearma.org you can find measurements for many different swords but there spread between a couple of different essays.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapon Measurements
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic