Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction Dirk Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reproduction Dirk         Reply with quote

After having read the original article replete with many nice photos, I commissioned Michael MacRae to reproduce this particular dirk (which is illustrated below.) To my knowledge this is the first time a reproduction of this rare and beautiful 1710-1730 dirk has been attempted. The pictures shown below were received today from Mike to keep me abreast of the work and which I am happy to share with all of you who enjoy seeing the work of dedicated craftsmen. Mike is also going to make scabbard fittings which will mate with the ferrell on the blade end of the grip. The scabbard is conjecture but will capture the fell of this ornate dirk. Enjoy the pictures. George Osborne

Attachment: 56.75 KB
handle and blade.JPG

GG Osborne

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: More Pictures         Reply with quote

The grip shown above is about 4" long and the blade about 14"

Attachment: 31.12 KB
grip-design.JPG

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi GG

Mike should do a very nice job on that one, and I look forward to seeing how it all comes out !

I remember the original, on Freeman's Live auction ..... our own Todd Salazar was the lucky winner, and its current caretaker as far as I know ! Here is a link to a thread that discusses it with some really awesome pics :
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...t=freemans

Keep us posted, Mac

Attachment: 68.28 KB
Jacobite era dirk 3.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas Pludra

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
This will be a wonderful project. I was very impressed by that dirk when I saw it the first time and I´m curious on the result.
By the way- Is anyone here on the forum who has a picture of Michael McRae´s "Drummond dirk"? Seems it has been sold ,so there isn´t a picture of it on his website any more. Would be nice to get a second chance Happy
Cheers
Thomas
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Thomas....I actually bought the Drummond dirk second-hand and when it arrives, I will take a pic and post it here for you. George
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George,

That's an interesting project! I look forward to see how it turns out. Especially I look forward to seeing what the scabbard will look like, since the original lacks its' scabbard.
Also I'm also interested in seing pics of that Drummond dirk.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: The "Drummond" Dirk         Reply with quote

In my last posting regarding the dirk Mike MacRae of Scotia Metalwork is reproducing for me, I was asked if there was any information or illustation of Mike's so-called "Drummond" dirk. Mike was gracious enough to provide a picture and I am also happy to provide some information about this item.

The reproduced dirk is from James Drummond;s justly famous "Ancient Scottish Weapons" printed in Edinburgh by George Waterson and Sons c. 1881. It is Plate XIX, Number 9. By the way, for the Scottish weapon cognocenti, a CD version of the this book is available from Unicorn Press in Alabama for about 15 USD.

Here is what Drummond has to say: Highland Dirk, with handle or wood, richly carved, and ornamented with studs and mountings of brass; the grip short and excessively shouldered; the pommel flat-topped, with a central stud [ and three shorter studs]. In the possession of Mr. Robert Glen.

No age is given but with the central spherical stud and the smaller grip studs is is almost certainly post-Jacobite say circa 1760 or so. The grip studs could have been added lated.

The blade dimensions are not given but Mike's version is about 16"s long. There is no scabbard illustrated. Hope this helps those who inquired.

Attachment: 25.13 KB
Drummond2.JPG

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking piece, GG , Congrats !

Here is Drummond's drawing of that one ! Mac

Attachment: 85.39 KB
Drummond-dirk hilt plate 19-Fig 9.jpg

Attachment: 39.3 KB
Drummond-dirk plate 19-Fig 9.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Drummond         Reply with quote

Thomas....I would, of course, love to know where you got a color plate version of Drummond's book!!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drummond         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Thomas....I would, of course, love to know where you got a color plate version of Drummond's book!!

Hi GG

Until I sold it in a recent Ebay auction, I owned an original copy of it .....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...T&rd=1
I did many scans of it over the years (all the plates are in color) and before I sold it I photographed the entire book and have it on file (still editing as we speak ;-)

It is a wonderful period resource, Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the version from Unicorn Limited for $12.95: http://www.scotpress.com/catalog/product_info...cts_id=141
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas Pludra

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, GG
Really a good looking piece. Especially the shape of the haunches is very interesting. I think, you are right dating it to a post-jacobite-era. It reminds me of a similar dirk shown in Forman´s "Scottish Dirk" as a late georgian dirk dated to the late 18th century.Thank you very much for showing us the pic. Happy
Regards
Thomas
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing pics, Mac and George! Looks very nice!
A question regarding the dirk being made for you:
Will Mike MacRae also fit brass onto the spine of the blade like on the original? And do you have any idea how he will do this?
Donnie Shearer (the Mad Piper) told me this when I asked him a similar question:
I had to braze it on and then sand it down which is a lot of bloody work. The metal cools quicker than the brass and it tends to pop off so you need to put the metal blade in a box of sand to take off some of the heat. another way is to cut out the blade and cut a piece of brass to fit and solder it in the blade then sand it down to match.

Cheers,
Henrik[/i]

Constant and true.
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Brazing Brass to Steel         Reply with quote

Dear Henrik,
I really don't know how Mike does it, other than I know he has made a version of Wallace #52 previously and it looked great. According to Mike it is a bloody lot of work and not easily done but he has consulted with several knife makers who have done this work and has a method to accomplish it. So, the answer to your question is "Yes" he is going to put the brass strip on the spine with all of the appropriate engraving, etc. The finished product should be a close as possible to the original specimin. When I get more pictures, I will post them here. Cheers!
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently bought a dirk from Mike McRae that has a brass inlay on the spine. Mike told me that he brazes the spine and then removes the excess brass. Mike makes a really nice blade. He seems to understand what a dirk should look like and feel like in the hand. His carving isn't up there with the likes of Grace Evans, but his hilts have a very appealing look to them. The profile of this dirk is just what I was looking for.

Well enough talking. Here are the photos:

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one more shot with the new baldrick I made for my ElJay baskethilt.
Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing those pics! That's a very attractive dirk! I especially like the carvings, the scabbard suspension and the brass inlay at the spine. There's a nice balance between the depth of the carvings and the overall "modesty" of the dirk.
Any chanse of an "in-hand"-photo?

You've made a fine baldric as well! I'm going to make one myself this autumn, so it's good to get some inspiration Happy

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction Dirk
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic