Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new book review by the Armor Research Society Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: A new book review by the Armor Research Society         Reply with quote

I received this information via e-mail and with ARS permission I'll post it here.

Quote:
There is a new book coming out on the armour at Castle Churburg. Good stuff... for both the armour and arms enthusiast! Absolutely gorgeous book:

http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/reviews/churburg.php

Also, we are hosting Peter Johnsson at our conference next spring in London (Wallace Collection) - looks like Sword Manufacture. Alan Williams is doing a presentation on the metallurgy of Ulfberht swords, as well. This would be a good chance for London/England/Europe-based arms-interested folks to see Peter and Alan and discuss the subject matter in an open discussion, educational environment:

http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/conference.php

Webpage will be updated shortly to include Peter.

This seems like an excellent book to add to ones library and the proposed conference sounds like an excellent learning opportunity.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's exciting as there are a ton of fantastic examples of armour at Churburg Castle. I get the sense that they don't let their stuff get published as freely as some other museums, so this a big deal for the arms & armour community.

I checked the publisher's site and it lists the book at 95 Euros which will, unfortunately, keep it off my shelf. I have no doubt the price is fair, especially when they're only going to print 2,000, but it's a bit too much for this guy.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, need to chase down the piggy bank for this one. The promo photos are spectacular.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This book is published by Hans Prunner and includes photography by Carlo Paggiarino and an introduction by Claude Blair. It is not produced by the Armour Research Society, but the review is by Brian W. Rainey of the ARS. An online introduction can be found on the publisher's site showing samples of the excellent photography.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little more information on the collection:

Quote:
"Churburg is actually very open with publication efforts. There are probably 5 or 6 books (3 of which are dedicated to the subject) that provide excellent coverage of the pieces and then a lot of others that throw in the odd Churburg piece every now and again. Plus a number of booklets that have been done up for visitors. I would say it is the most well represented and published collection out there, including museums.

The only bad part is… that the books are relatively expensive or out of print. It is not a museum but a private residence that allows public access, also. This changes the dynamics of the collection quite a bit. It s a very interesting place.”

Sounds like a must see if one has the opportunity to arrange it. This book will probably be the closest most of us will get. My apologies for giving anyone the impression this book was being published by the ARS with my misleading header. The ARS clearly states the publisher in their link.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I checked the publisher's site and it lists the book at 95 Euros which will, unfortunately, keep it off my shelf. I have no doubt the price is fair, especially when they're only going to print 2,000, but it's a bit too much for this guy.

Brian W. Rainey wrote:
"the armour at Churburg is probably (if not definitely) the most well published private collection on the planet. Actually, it is more thoroughly represented and published than many (if not all) public collections."

Churburg has been very open to such things. There are many pieces that have had extensive study performed on them. Additionally, we all see some of the same pieces, and often the same photos, from the collection in many, many of the books we own. A book like this one shows these pieces photographed in all-new ways and in a controlled environment. For those of us who wish to do careful study of them without having the opportunity to see them in person, this is a valuable treat, indeed, and worth so much more than the asking price this book commands. I'm excited to add it to my own library.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Churburg has been very open to such things. There are many pieces that have had extensive study performed on them. Additionally, we all see some of the same pieces, and often the same photos, from the collection in many, many of the books we own. A book like this one shows these pieces photographed in all-new ways and in a controlled environment. For those of us who wish to do careful study of them without having the opportunity to see them in person, this is a valuable treat, indeed, and worth so much more than the asking price this book commands. I'm excited to add it to my own library.

Evidently I should have clarified myself. Happy What I meant is that it isn't easy to get ahold of good pictures and references of their work (until now), at least in my experience. Churburg doesn't currently have catalogues in print; the few copies I've seen of their old one are ungodly expensive. From what I'd heard second-hand, they have in the past been sticklers about people using images of their stuff. That must have been bad info. Also, like Nathan said, many pictures in books are the same pics used over and over. And in many cases you have to get some really rare & expensive books to find other pictures. I have seen a good number of pictures of their items but their stuff seems to be a little harder to come by than that some other museums. That's all I meant. Happy

I have no doubt it's worth the price; after all it's still much cheaper than a trip to Italy. Happy However, I don't have the dough to spend on either a trip to Europe or a $120 book. Sad Maybe some day.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Chad-

You can still buy the book, The Armoury of the Castle of Churburg from the Churburg Online Shop. As you said, it's quite expensive at €620, but at least it's still newly available. It's a reprint of the older volume with additional materials added.

Cheers

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks very good, and much cheaper than the old book, but still a bit steep for me. Thanks for letting us know.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like this new book will be a great resource. Time to save up!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Albert van der Merwede

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Paulus Kal & Prunner "The Churburg Armoury"         Reply with quote

RE: Paulus Kal & Prunner "The Churburg Armoury"

Has anyone gotten an update as to when these two titles will ship?

A. van der Merwede
Wyckoff, New Jersey
ARMA Northern New Jersey

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new book review by the Armor Research Society
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic