Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Arms and Armor from Iran" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: "Arms and Armor from Iran"         Reply with quote

I just want to post a quick note here about "Arms and Armor from Iran: The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period".
This book just came out in print for the first time, and was written/compiled by my good friend Manoucher Moshtagh Korasani.
I just received my copy a few days ago, but had gotten to preview much of the text at an earlier date.
All I can say about the book can really be summed up in one word . . . . "amazing".

This book describes, in exacting detail, the historical evolution of Iranian arms and armor, along with covering all aspects of construction and decoration. Every factor of Iranian weapons making and usage is explained in a holistic fashion that incorporates the changing details of mythology, religion, oral history, migration, linguistics, and symbolic art in a comprehensive perspective of cultural evolution.

The book is quite expensive, at 150 euros, but in my opinion, the color plates alone are worth that price. There are over 350 pages of plates, each with multiple photogaphs of the artifacts in the whole and in detail.
Each plate also contains detailed specifications on each artifact pictured, including precise measurements and provenance.

The whole book is, literally, a masterwork for Manoucher. It took a lot of time, effort, and dedication to compile this massive amount of information, much of it previously unavailable to Western scholars, into a coherent and useful text. As both text and imagery, it is an enormously useful tool to scholars and researchers.
If you can, find a way to take a good, long look at this book, and I think you will share my impression.

N.B.
Yes, I helped edit this book, and I am listed in the acknowledgements. No, I am not getting paid. Darnit. :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manoucher's enthusiasm for and knowledge of Middle Eastern arms and armor is profound. I will be getting a copy of this book asap, as it looks to be a monumental addition to the field. Congrats to Manoucher on his achievement!
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de/
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link, Gabriel!
I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please extend my congratulations to Manoucher. I know he's been working on this book for years. It's a much needed addition to the arms and armor community as middle-eastern weapons tend to get short shrift in comparison to others. I'll definitely try to add a copy to my library.
Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear John, dear Gabriel, and dear Patrick,

I have been reading the threads on myArmoury when I came across this thread. Thank you very much John for your support throughout this project. That was a true pleasure to have you on board. Thanks. Thanks Gabriel for your kind words and support. Patrick, thanks alot for your continuous support. I really appreciate your support, gentlemen. And I would like to thank all members of myArmoury com for their words and encouragement.

Regards

Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manoucher M.-

Just this evening I found your book being sold on eBay. Fantastic!

My congratulations to you.

What do you believe is the best method of purchase for the book for us in the US?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Thank you very much for your kind support. The best and cheapest way, in my opinion, is to contact the publisher in Germany. Here you can order the book, I think the money can either be transfered via bank or via paypal. Please check here as there is an electronic shopping on the Legat Publishers:

http://www.legat-verlag.de/shop/index.php?pag...lang=en_EN

If there were any problems, would you please contact Mr. Alexander Frank from Legat Publishers. His email is:

alexander.frank@legat-verlag.de

Thanks again Nathan for your kind words.

Regards

Manouchehr

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Arms and Armor from Iran"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic