Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > darkening mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: darkening mail         Reply with quote

I think this question has been asked in the past but I could not find it with the search. Is the "classic" salt-vineger solution adequate for darkening zinc plated or galvanized mail to a quasi historical finish?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You'll have to first remove the galvanizing from the rings. I'm not sure how to do this best, but I'd think it would prevent the rings from really being affected by vineger.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vinegar will remove the zinc plating and darken the rings all by itself. It will take several hours to have effect. The vinegar itself will have a corrosive effect if the mail isn't thoroughly rinsed off or soaked in soapy water, so I wouldn't use salt in combination with it. Mail has far more nooks and crannies around the rivets, etc. Too many places for the salt to migrate and cause trouble in the future.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Vinegar will remove the zinc plating and darken the rings all by itself. It will take several hours to have effect. The vinegar itself will have a corrosive effect if the mail isn't thoroughly rinsed off or soaked in soapy water, so I wouldn't use salt in combination with it. Mail has far more nooks and crannies around the rivets, etc. Too many places for the salt to migrate and cause trouble in the future.

Must one dillute the vinegar or can you use it full-strength?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Shawn - take heed of Patrick's advice. He has been down this road before Wink

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, should I soak it over night or say four hours in the afternoon? I honestly dont know if the mail will be plated but comeing from India I imagine it will be. I read your artical and if I remember correctly you used some sort of acid? I was hopeing that the vineger would be a more "backyard" friendly alternative Big Grin

thanks
Shawn
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if u do the vinigar leave it way way in the backyard. zink fuse can and will kill you.

full submirge the mail in the vinigar and leave it.

when all the bubbles are gone and youbelieve it is safe empty the vinigar and spray down your mail and bucket well.
wipe down everything clean.

i suggest olive oil rub over the mail and put it on a cookie sheet on the grill or in the oven at a low temp.

then wipe it down again.

some people use boiled linseed oil on the grill to blacken mail. but if you've never used it i suggest the olive oil. boiled linseed oil is very flamible and can combust on its own if left on a rag. it can also catch fire on teh grill and charcoal your mail.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
Thanks Patrick, should I soak it over night or say four hours in the afternoon? I honestly dont know if the mail will be plated but comeing from India I imagine it will be. I read your artical and if I remember correctly you used some sort of acid? I was hopeing that the vineger would be a more "backyard" friendly alternative Big Grin

thanks
Shawn

Just submerge it in straight vinegar and leave it over night. As Chuck pointed out, leave it in a well ventilated area as the resulting fumes are toxic. I used muriatic acid to remove the zinc plating from my hauberk. I really don't recommend that though. It's very hazardous and extremely toxic. Vinegar takes longer but it's much more friendly.
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, in a few months when my mail finaly gets here I will tell you how it goes!
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a not wholly unrelated issue, I'm getting some rust on my maille. What's my best bet for getting rid of it and keeping it away?

Thanks,

Shawn
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R. Lillquist

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Keeping rust away         Reply with quote

@Shawn Shaw,
Oiling the mail could help, and also I think the blackening might have given it more rust resistance, but I'm not sure.

http://www.slinging.org
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanted to add some of my experiences with giving maille some patine;
This was done on galvanized maille-chausses with butted rings, nothing too serious just decided to experiment making some maille i had laying around look alot better. I put the maille for half an hour in lemonjuice then dry over-night, then 24hours in 80% vinigar 20% water. I then rinsed the stuff in my bathtub, which was dumb, for a few hours then let it airdry. Then i headed out to my backyard and tossed the maille in a plastic bag with sand for a few minutes getting the (cakes of) thick rust off and leaving them brushed and dusty - i then dryed them off with rags and then tossed em around in break-free oil. Now they look great - blackish with a glimmer of brass almost.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the finish on your maille?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pics i took in a haste of my maille. Its pitch dark outside so natural lightning wasnt available - i took it in different light-sets for an overall view. I think the first one is most true to life.

Attachment: 61.76 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 98.31 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 38.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.74 KB
[ Download ]
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a close-up of mine.

There are various ring types in this photo: riveted rings from two different manufacturers and solid punched rings from another source. Most of the rings in the upper right quadrant were treated with muriatic acid. Most of the others were soaked in vinegar to give them a patina.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:
On a not wholly unrelated issue, I'm getting some rust on my maille. What's my best bet for getting rid of it and keeping it away?

Thanks,

Shawn

Jesse Bailey, of Conroi FitzOzbern suggests using an old gas drier as a tumbler. Old driers with a non-functional gas element can be found pretty cheaply. Apparently if you put the mail in the drier with some old towels the friction of the mail working against itself will take care of the rust and the towels will remove any grime. If I had the space I'd use this method myself. I've used a bucket of sand to good effect but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis as it's pretty abrasive. If I encounter areas of rust I usually scrub the area with a bristle brush and oil it.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/G/l/Glyndower/ConroiFitzOsbern/index.htm
Robert H. Shyan-Norwalt

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had some of the aluminum rivetted mail when it first came out. I used dranO' and water to take the shiny off of it. GIves it a passible steel look.

makes a good picture prop anyway.

Attachment: 35.28 KB
maille-pic.jpg

Collosians 2:8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To clean rust off maille, chuck it into a clean cement mixer for a few hours with NO sand. The rings rubbing against each other will be enough.
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > darkening mail
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic