Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for Indian Talwar (Non-antiques version) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Looking for Indian Talwar (Non-antiques version)         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I m looking for an Indian Talwar (non-antiques) to add to my collection; Something like the attached pix but not limiting to the pattern.

Don't seems to find any out there except on EBays auction sites, which are mostly antiques. Can someone advise me, pls?

Many thanks,
Larry

Attachment: 17.52 KB
coldsteel_Talwar.jpg

GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Cold Steel         Reply with quote

At one point - probably pre Windlass production - Cold Steel had a tulwar in their line-up. Apparently, it has since been discontinued. Your best bet may be to place an advertisment in the Marketplace Forum and patrol Ebay. Sorry I couldn't be more help. George
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Indian Talwar         Reply with quote

Thanks George. Had originally placed a "Wanted" ad in the MarketPlace Forum but was advised to so in either the Off-Topics or Historical Arms Forums instead. The reason, I was told, was MarketPlace Forum's not for general inquiries / advert.. Meaning, if I place an advert there, it'll mean looking for 'used' weapon from other members...

Larry
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Indian Talwar         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Thanks George. Had originally placed a "Wanted" ad in the MarketPlace Forum but was advised to so in either the Off-Topics or Historical Arms Forums instead. The reason, I was told, was MarketPlace Forum's not for general inquiries / advert.. Meaning, if I place an advert there, it'll mean looking for 'used' weapon from other members...

Larry

Larry,
What George is suggesting, and what you did, is appropriate. George is suggesting you look for a used one, since the model is discontinued. If you're looking for used swords, then the Marketplace is the correct location. If you're looking for dealers, then it is not.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Found: Talwars         Reply with quote

Dear all,

Thanks for all your helpful leads w.r.t. my intention to acquire Talwar :-)

I managed to locate a sword maker/retailer in India and put up my orders.

Do let me know if you are keen to checkout their products, too.

Cheers,
Larry
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do they have a website? I would be interested in checking out what they have.

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Indian Khanda & Tulwar         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Here's a Yahoo Photo Album of my latest acquisitions - an Indian Khanda & a Indian Tulwar.

Btw., can anyone confirm if the blades are Damascus?

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lar_lim/albu...FBdl0N2cOr

Feel free to comment. Rgds,
Larry
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry,

very nice... (it's not really pink though right?, Not that there is anything wrong with pink just it looks really, realy pink to me). Let us know how you link it.

RPM
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

Yes. It is PINK! ... kinda feminine for a magnificent blade... Honestly, I was quite shocked when I opened up the package!! It's a miscommunication betw the maker & myself. I saw a RED one on their online store, thinking he's referring to that one. Shd have ordered the BLUE alternative :-( Already, some of the pink velvet got stained by the greasy stuff from the packaging during transit... Quite sad :-(

Apart from this, the Khanda's quite magnificient & weighty, esp. the blade! Both the Khanda & the Tulwar are very ethnic in appearance & I like them very much... apart from the Pink Velvet (aarrghh!) But not sure if it's really Damascus, as they said it was...

I'm now thinking of how to 'dye' the Pink velvet to RED or dark Navy Blue instead... But as it is velvet, I still don't have any idea!

Larry
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Hi Randall,

Yes. It is PINK! ... kinda feminine for a magnificent blade... Honestly, I was quite shocked when I opened up the package!! It's a miscommunication betw the maker & myself. I saw a RED one on their online store, thinking he's referring to that one. Shd have ordered the BLUE alternative :-( Already, some of the pink velvet got stained by the greasy stuff from the packaging during transit... Quite sad :-(

Apart from this, the Khanda's quite magnificient & weighty, esp. the blade! Both the Khanda & the Tulwar are very ethnic in appearance & I like them very much... apart from the Pink Velvet (aarrghh!) But not sure if it's really Damascus, as they said it was...

I'm now thinking of how to 'dye' the Pink velvet to RED or dark Navy Blue instead... But as it is velvet, I still don't have any idea!

Larry

Beautiful pieces, I love khandas, but I agree about the pink scabbard and grip. I have seen these in red, a nice warlike colour, but never pink. Do they have any historical evidence to back that up?
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Hmm... I really dun know... But I guess no warrier would want their swords in pink... kinda sissy, eh? Haha..

They have alternative, though.. Dark Blue for scabbard & matching Blue Floral printed cloth for the grip..
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Hmm... I really dun know... But I guess no warrier would want their swords in pink... kinda sissy, eh? Haha..

No more sissy than gold filigree or garnet cloisonne (to me). If it was a historical colour (dunno, maybe a madder would give a pink a bit like that?) it may have represented a statement of wealth. Colour associations vary between cultures anyway (e.g. white for mourning in pre colonial Australia). As for the real damascus or not, it is difficult to say. I'd have thought the cycles necessary would have made them quite expensive, but maybe they've partially automated the process or something. Or maybe it is just a surface 'Damascening'. Can you see how the pattern goes at the edges or on the 'edge' of the ricasso? Whatever, they look rather good swords. Congratulations.
Geoff
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Geoff. Glad you like them :-)

N.B. I haven't been examining the blade material on the ricasso section... I'll do that shortly..

Thanks~
Larry
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are very nice pieces. I love the handle of the tulwar, that decoraction just looks stunning to me. Congrats Larry!

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Indian Khanda & Tulwar         Reply with quote

Very nice, can you link us to the maker's site?

Thanks!

Larry Lim wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Here's a Yahoo Photo Album of my latest acquisitions - an Indian Khanda & a Indian Tulwar.

Btw., can anyone confirm if the blades are Damascus?

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lar_lim/albu...FBdl0N2cOr

Feel free to comment. Rgds,
Larry
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt it's true damascus, as not many people produce that any more. Actual damascus is a crucible steel or something and produces a different look to the pattern. It might be a random pattern-weld like Windlass uses. Some of that pattern-welded steel is bought in billets now.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

James, thanks for the praises. Glad you find them nice~

Chad, thanks for the feedback, too. I bought them at ard 250USD each, that's why I have a 2nd thot if they're really Damascus blade, as I heard they're quite hard to come by...

Hi Justin, I'll PM you the contact seperately cos I'm nt sure if it's appropriate for me to "publicize" it in the forum..

Best rgds,
Larry
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Hi Justin, I'll PM you the contact seperately cos I'm nt sure if it's appropriate for me to "publicize" it in the forum..

While blatant advertisement is frowned upon, it's perfectly acceptable to post the link. Publicity helps the market surrounding this hobby and that benefits us all.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Link         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan.

Here's the makers' website - http://www.ancientarms.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Best regards,
Larry
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Link         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Thanks Nathan.

Here's the makers' website - http://www.ancientarms.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Best regards,
Larry

Hi Larry
I think that is pattern weld, as Mr Arnow suggested, rather than 'true' wootz damascus. Still very nice though, and not just a superficial decoration.
regards
Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for Indian Talwar (Non-antiques version)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: