Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 21: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
60%
 60%  [ 28 ]
Very Good
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
Good
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Fair
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 46

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Aug 21: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Arms & Armor Hungarian Axe

A hands-on review by Russ Ellis

Eric McHugh Custom Halberd

A hands-on review by Eric Nower

Museum Replicas Hewing Spear

A hands-on review by Greyson Brown

Museum Replicas Limited Battle Witch Axe

Added to Nate's Collection

Blacksword Armoury "Swiss Axe"

Added to Nate's Collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh goody, hafted deadly bits!

I never fully realized how pretty A&A's Hungarian Axe was before. It really is pleasing, if not flashy at all. I quite like it and I have just decided I need to add more to my weapons collection than just swords.

I do love reading about the common soldier and I should have at least one weapon suited to his station.
Matt Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really enjoyed these updates. Everything was well written and very informative. I like seeing more hafted weapons. Thanks for the good work.
Matt

"Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done." William Shakespear
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to see another piece from Eric. He really seems to be developing a knack for axes. . . Cool
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to see the other sharp and pointies getting some coverage, thanks to Greyson on the article on the hewing spear. I have been curious as to the quality of this one since I saw it on the Reliks website so now I guess I've got another project.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully people are noticing that we're publishing more and more groups that aren't just medieval-sword-themed. This is the second hafted weapons group we've published this year. This year has also seen groups featuring nothing but:

-Gauntlets
-Rondel Daggers
-Hangers and other colonial era swords
-Martial Arts & training weapons
-Event & Museum Experience articles
-Rapiers

I'm personally very excited by all of this. We have more groups in the works that will explore more armour topics, other weapons, and even things from other cultures not normally covered here. We won't leave behind our medieval and renaissance sword reviews and articles, though. Rather, we're expanding into new areas while not losing track of what we've become known for.

I'm happy that we're maintaining our quality and our unprecedented & ambitious publication schedule while growing in new directions. This is pretty fun and I hope the readers are enjoying it, too. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Greyson!
Really nice and interesting reading about that spear head Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson;

I notice that in the side view the blade of the hewing spear seem very thin: Now this may be an advantage with a spear intended as a cutting weapon as long as the blade is still strong enough to not bend and take a set. Also assuming decent heat treating.

My A & A Viking spear has a much smaller head that is also much thicker, at least I think it is just based on the photos.
The Viking spear does seem to me capable of making effective cuts but is scaled more like a knife sized blade than the hewing spear's blade that is almost sword like in length.

The extra blade length of the hewing spear should make for easier to aim cuts while with a short 8" spear head one would mostly be getting tip cuts or also risks hitting with the end of the shaft rather than the blade if the spear is extended too far or the target moves in closer.

Just wonder what your thoughts are about the +/- of short or long spear blades when used for cutting ?

With a thrust the length of blade should be of minor importance assuming equal lengths of shaft + blade i.e. total reach.

Oh, great articles by the way.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a shorter spear head that I once tried to use for some cutting. It, like your spear, was thicker, and it just never felt right. As you pointed out, there is a very small area with which you can strike, so you have to judge distance better than I am comfortable with. It also helps if you manage to extend your arms the exact same distance every time, and that gets harder as you change the height of your attack.

The hewing spear does have a thin blade, but I do not think that it presents a major problem. No, it does not have the rigidity to punch through heavy armour, but it was never intended for that. along similar lines, my Albion NG Agincourt has a lot thicker blade than my NG Sherriff. Your A&A spear was design to do a job more along the lines of the Agincourt, while my hewing spear is pretty much just the Sherriff on a stick.

I, at least, tend to notice and appreciate the variation in sword designs because that is the information I have studied (and which is readily available). It seems to me that there is similar variation and complexity among all weapon types.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Aug 21: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic